Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Duce Staley holds out.

Reportedly, Staley wants a contract extension and plans on holding out until he gets one. Currently, he's being paid as a top 10 RB. With Buck and Westbrook ,I don't think the Eagles are going to budge. Staley wants to get cut if he doesn't get an extension, but he should realize that he wouldn't get that much $$$ in FA. He's not young anymore, and he has an ACL tear under his belt. We'll have to wait and see how this plays out.

Why would he do somthing that stupid? Can he see the the Eagles have been tring to replace him for years, and that this may be the first year where they are in position to do so? If he gets cut, who do you think will pick him up?

Originally posted by codeorama

The only thing is like panel said, it seems as if the Eagles have been actively trying to replace him. I would'nt give them a reason.

If he really believes he's a top-5 RB, then he thinks that the Eagles can't replace him. With an ego that big, he obviously hasn't learned that no one is irreplaceable.

Originally posted by panel

Why would he do somthing that stupid? Can he see the the Eagles have been tring to replace him for years, and that this may be the first year where they are in position to do so? If he gets cut, who do you think will pick him up?

The Bucs will pick him up, its funny that he is willing to hold out I guess he's been talking to Sean Gilbert

He figures he's in a position of power now (or at least, more than he will be in the end of the season). If you think about it, Buck and Staley were most likely going to split carries this year. He's coming off a 1000-yard season, so he figures those numbers can only go down, so he might as well try now to get that extension. I don't think its coming. If Reid is going to cut him, he'll wait till the end of camp, AFTER the other teams have their offenses set up, and then cut him. I think if he gets cut, he'll land in either TB or Dallas.

Originally posted by Eagles_Legendz

He figures he's in a position of power now (or at least, more than he will be in the end of the season). If you think about it, Buck and Staley were most likely going to split carries this year. He's coming off a 1000-yard season, so he figures those numbers can only go down, so he might as well try now to get that extension.

If he knows he is gonna have a reduced role holding out ain't gonna get him more money, example If Philly can let a quality player like Hugh Douglas get away what makes Staley think he has any bargaining power considering Mcnabb is what makes that offense go

Originally posted by Blazers21

If he really believes he's a top-5 RB, then he thinks that the Eagles can't replace him. With an ego that big, he obviously hasn't learned that no one is irreplaceable.

Very true. Don't get me wrong, he's been very good for you guys, but, just like you said, everyone is replaceable... see stephen davis.

Originally posted by codeorama

Very true. Don't get me wrong, he's been very good for you guys, but, just like you said, everyone is replaceable... see stephen davis.

Agreed, Code. I'd never take away anything he's accomplished for the Eagles. He held them together at times last year, and definitely three years ago. After his ankle and shoulder injuries, he still remains a good back. Holding out won't help his cause. Playing hard and continuing to prove himself will.

Well, it may not be the best of moves by Staley for sure. Making 2 mil this year and with Reid saying, according to the Eagles Insiders, that holding out could cost him his starting job. However, what that possible statement tells me is that the Eagles most productive RB, passing and receiving?, was not in danger of losing his job to Buck or Westbrook. Staley is what...28...not old, even for a running back. Keeping in mind also that Buck is coming back from a knee injury himself. This could be what Staley is looking at. Again...may not be a wise decision. Tough battle of wills ahead.

:cheers:

I doubt that move has to do with money. The Eagles haven't been exactly coy about wanting to replace him over the last couple of years and this may just be a calculated move to force the Eagles into releasing him.

There are plenty of teams out there that would love to sign a player of his caliber and would feature him full-time rather than the part-time duty he seems to have been relegated to lately.

Well... maybe (hopefully) the guy knows something we don't. Perhaps Buckhalter sucks. He certainly isn't proven or a sure bet like most Eagles fans talk him up to be.

Personally, I never thought Staley was that great, but the guy does gut out the extra yard or two on a pretty consistent basis. If things don't pan out well for him and Buckhalter proves average, that would put one heck of a strain on Donavan and those receivers... one that I don't think they could overcome.

I'm sorry. I must have read that wrong. I could have sworn someone just posted Duce Staley was holding out.

Duce Staley?

If he was going to hold out, he should have done it two years ago, coming off a season in which he lead the NFC in rushing yards. And even then it would have been dumb. I like Duce. He's a solid player. But mere solid players don't hold out. Or at least they don't win when they do.

Wow. After all the griping on this board about Champ Bailey even daring to dicuss holding out, this is quite the reality check.

I think that Deuce has shown himself to be tough but also to get nicked up. At $2 million for the year at age 28, where is he going to get better money at this stage in the off-season. Stephen Davis, a much more accomplished back (when you ignore the unreachable incentives that jacked up his contract with Carolina) got a pretty modest contract from a team that really needed him EARLY in free agency. Also not many teams have as good of an OL as the iggles and Deuce doesn't really have the blazing speed to make his own holes - thus less valuable to weaker teams.

Add to that Reid's very no-nonsense approach to these kinds of things and I can see this as a VERY risky move by Deuce. IMHO he should shut up be glad to get the $2 mil play hard and play the FA game next year.

Originally posted by Larry

Maybe if he gets some inquiries from some winners like Az and Cleveland, then he'll change his mind.

What is all this about cleveland wanting him? Az yeah, they ain't got nothin at RB, but cleveland has william green, who really started to turn it on at the end of the season, and they have a starter-quality backup in jamel white. they're incredibly solid at rb. maybe this is just nitpicking on my part, but i don't have any idea how cleveland came up in regard to being interested in staley.

Houston would be a better fit for him, because Stacey Mack (who they currently have) is usually good as a 3rd down back (as they'll soon learn). However, he'd have practically an instant starting job in Dallas, if he were to go there.

Here's to hoping he goes to the AFC. I for one am sick of looking at his ugly mug. :cheers:

The Eagles should have brought in a proven back to team with McNabb in the offseason and sent Staley packing. The guy is definitely past his prime and has not shown to be the player at RB to help get the Eagles over the top in big games.

The Eagles should not have blinked last year and signed Warrick Dunn to be the quick tailback and receiver out of the backfield in that offense.

Reid seems locked in to making as few moves in free agency as absolutely necessary, when he should realize that where his team is at from a competitive standpoint adding one or two proven veterans is more valuable than standing pat and adding 22 year olds that are going to take 2 or 3 years to hit stride in the draft.

Archived