Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Duce Staley holds out.

Bulldog,

I agree with many of your points, as would most Eagles fans. Duce is a favorite because he shows a lot of heart. He also responds well to the crowd, and they are always behind him. He's like the ultimate underdog - always seemingly down, but picking himself up and helping the team.

In 2001, Duce and Buckhalter provided a nice 1-2 punch. Then Buckhalter fell out of favor, as he was in the company of some of his teammates who played around with marijuana and were cut. He disappeared from the offense for quite a few games. In the playoffs that year, the 1-2 combination sucker-punched the Bucs and the Bears and both had decent games. Buckhalter sprained his ankle in the second qtr. vs. the Rams, and the with Duce carrying the load, the offense struggled for the rest of the game.

Last year, with Buckhalter out, they never really established the consistency in the running attack, even though Reid was willing to use it. Levens and Westbrook were useful, but neither combined the size and speed of Buckhalter. Still the Eagles were 7th in the league in rushing.

From Reid's standpoint, Westbrook = Dunn. He couldn't get Dunn for his price, so he drafted Westbrook. Also, Reid continues to be old-school: You build the team through the draft, not FA.

Reid WCO philosophy is to design offensive packages for each game to take advantages of his players' abilities and putting the defense at a disadvantage. Staley can't stand this, because it means the Eagles will never have a true #1 RB, just like they will never have a true #1 WR, so long as Reid is the head coach. He also resists bringing in free agents, because "it takes 3-4 seasons to learn the (god-forsaken) offense." Can you tell which words I added? :)

They have the O-line and the defense. Get a good RB and a standout receiver and let McNabb wing the ball downfield ala Elway and Aikman while mixing in a running attack. Screw the constant 2-yard dump offs to RB's and TE's. Stretch the field and the Eagles will win some championships. But what do I know. :)

in my opinion Reid is wasting a fine opportunity. this team should have been in the Super Bowl last season after emerging in 2001.

you only get so many shots at the top spot and teams have started to pick off key Eagles players such as Trotter and Douglas. Next offseason it might be Bobby Taylor. Meanwhile other performers such as Vincent and Runyan are getting up there in age and one can question when their skills are going to start to decline.

If I were an Eagles fan I would be hopping mad at Reid if I see the team go 11-5 and then get knocked out in the playoffs again because of a lack of firepower :mad:

Originally posted by bulldog

If I were an Eagles fan I would be hopping mad at Reid if I see the team go 11-5 and then get knocked out in the playoffs again because of a lack of firepower :mad:

You've hit it - this year it is all on Reid. They've been good enough the last two seasons, especially last year, to win it all. This is the final season for Reid to prove it, before things become a lot more difficult. Otherwise, they're no better than Buddy's Eagles of 15 years ago, or the Cowboys of 20+ years ago. They accomplish just so much, then fold when it counts.

Duce had better be careful before the NFL tests him to see what halluciengent he is taking because other than his posse, groupie of the moment and himself I seriously doubt that anyone believes he is gonna get or deserves top 5 RB money

I remember last years Eagle game when McNabb was being chased out of bounds by Arrington. McNabb actually ran out of bounds in the opposite direction. He was terrified of LeVar. Duce seemed to be one of the only guys I've seen who's stood up to Arrington. Duce is one tough #$%@er, and he'll help somebody win games.

Archived