Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Orakpo needs to play DE!!!

Big "Pimpin" Chief

By playing linebacker on really every running down, Orakpo's avoiding the punishment that he would take playing LDE against the bevy of oversized right tackles, for what that's worth.

If this season is a "lost" year anyway, giving Orakpo as much experience at linebacker can only help for the future. Having as many versatile players as possible (linebackers who can rush, linemen who can cover, cornerbacks and safeties who can interchange, etc.) is one of the attributes that Bill Belichick most seeks out in his defensive players. Orakpo will undoubtedly be the RDE in the future, whenever Carter sees his play decline, and will split time at LDE with Jarmon next year. We, too, were supposed to be blitzing more this year, but as Jerry Gray stressed a few weeks ago, the defense simply can't play aggressive given the complete lack of offensive support. One or two big plays allowed will almost always lose us the game - today notwithstanding.

We've seen Orakpo rush from every spot on the line, run stunts and show a vast array of moves. We've also seen him blitz from the edge. When our offense starts putting up more points, we will surely see him pass rush more. And until we find a starting outside linebacker who is better than Orakpo, our defense is at its best when he's there. Now, that may be the fault of Cerrato and his general lack of foresight, but that's for another discussion.

Quite simply, Orakpo will be a better player in 2010, 2011, etc. for the immense amount of playing time that he's seen at SLB. He'll soon be a player that we can line up anywhere in the box - a true gamechanger.

agreed. I actually like him at LB. He's only a rookie. All he really needs to do is become better in pass D, and after that we could line him up anywhere. LB or DE, and he'd dominate.

It occurs to me that if the defensive coaching philosophy changes in the coming year, Orakpo would be a good firt for OLB in the 3-4. Beast.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

LMFAo ...Never said Dnever Oline? Said QB play ,I said he only SACKS JASON CAMPBELL LIKE QB"S=SIMMS,JAKE,CASSELL..:laugh::laugh::laugh:

THIS is the SAMe GUY WHO SAID WE SHOULD HAVE DRAFTED WINSLOW ,instead of ST

Uh, no. I never wanted Winslow.

Are you going for the single thread most fail record on the forum or something?

Disagree...read my topic...

but heres why,

Orakpo has the athleticism,strength and attributes to play a hybrid old/de. He is young and has a huge amount of potential. He can groom to become a terrel Suggs type of player.. He fills 2 voids in his current role, and is way doing a heck of a job so far. He will become a great hybrid similiar to suggs, ware, taylor, merrimam, harrison, etc. If he plays just DE he will get worn down by taking the beating of being in the trenches at all times. He is to fast to just wast all that athleticism playing end, just wait and see, he will become a stud hybrid, playing in coverage,making open field plays, and also rushng the passer. Clearly the organization actually had a good idea with how they wanted to implement his speed/size/strength. Just wait and see,

By playing linebacker on really every running down, Orakpo's avoiding the punishment that he would take playing LDE against the bevy of oversized right tackles, for what that's worth.

If this season is a "lost" year anyway, giving Orakpo as much experience at linebacker can only help for the future. Having as many versatile players as possible (linebackers who can rush, linemen who can cover, cornerbacks and safeties who can interchange, etc.) is one of the attributes that Bill Belichick most seeks out in his defensive players. Orakpo will undoubtedly be the RDE in the future, whenever Carter sees his play decline, and will split time at LDE with Jarmon next year. We, too, were supposed to be blitzing more this year, but as Jerry Gray stressed a few weeks ago, the defense simply can't play aggressive given the complete lack of offensive support. One or two big plays allowed will almost always lose us the game - today notwithstanding.

We've seen Orakpo rush from every spot on the line, run stunts and show a vast array of moves. We've also seen him blitz from the edge. When our offense starts putting up more points, we will surely see him pass rush more. And until we find a starting outside linebacker who is better than Orakpo, our defense is at its best when he's there. Now, that may be the fault of Cerrato and his general lack of foresight, but that's for another discussion.

Quite simply, Orakpo will be a better player in 2010, 2011, etc. for the immense amount of playing time that he's seen at SLB. He'll soon be a player that we can line up anywhere in the box - a true gamechanger.

amen. glad to see someone have a different opinion other than "ZOMG ORAKPO IS SO GOOD AT GETTING SACKS HE SHOULD BE DE 24/7"

Youre right I am wrong AC is the Next Reggie White..WHy did I question Vinny He Knows AC is the Best DE in the NFc east ,Maybe the NFL..I am Sure we can get a 1st round pick for him like Minny got for Allen

at the end of the year AC will have 12.5 sacks Sorry Vinny& Danny another Great Pick up..lol

Youre right I am wrong AC is the Next Reggie White..WHy did I question Vinny He Knows AC is the Best DE in the NFc east ,Maybe the NFL..I am Sure we can get a 1st round pick for him like Minny got for Allen

at the end of the year AC will have 12.5 sacks Sorry Vinny& Danny another Great Pick up..lol

I sense sarcasm... You are the one that was saying talk is cheap right?

Archived