Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Orakpo needs to play DE!!!

Big "Pimpin" Chief

In my personal opinion, the only time a player should play a position different from the one they are billed at or the one they are comfortable at is if 1) they are at the end of their career, and they move to a more low key position to prolong their career, the way some players move from cornerback to safety, or from RB to FB, and sometimes LB to DE and so on...or 2) if a team is stacked at a certain position, and they are asked to switch for depth purposes, like if a team plenty cb's, but needs wr's, they switch one that has natural talent, just like the bears did Devin Hester(not saying its the best of moves...but when you have a high 1st round pick, who is billed as a DE, has played DE in his college career, and u've seen footage of him wrecking opposing teams with his pass rushing skills in the DE position, that means he needs to play DE to have an impact...we are lucky that Orakpo is a quick learner and has done pretty well at the LB position, but i honestly think that if we put him at DE, opposite Carter, he would already have double digit sacks...he is already posting at least half a sack in every game, and he just had his first 2 sack game...if he rushes the passer every down, he will get 2 sacks every game...and we can force more bad throws because o-line coaches will have a headache trying to block him, and qbs will get frustrated because they have to keep worrying about him coming off the edge to their blindside...Orakpo played DE in college, so he should play DE in the NFL, I understand we needed a strong side LB since we cut Marcus Washington, but even if we couldn't draft one in late rounds, or find a good enough one from free agency, it would benefit us to put Orakpo on the line...we can put Rocky McIntosh on the strong side, because he at least has LB experience...and put one of the rookies, or even chris wilson(who has been labled somewhat of a hybrid players) on the weak side so we aren't relying on an inexperienced player to play strong side...bottom line, we need to put Orakpo on the line..thats when we can be on the top of the list in sacks and qb pressure...nobody is going to fear Orakpo at linebacker, when he is dropping into coverage half the time..but O-line coaches and Off. Coordinators will lose sleep if they kno he is on the line and coming after their qb, they would be looking to double team him or leave a back in to help block...add Big Al' alread commanding a double team....someone on that line and even blitzing linebackers would have double digit sacks by now....

-Chief

Too small to play LDE and are you going to bench Carter, who is on pace for 12 sacks this season? Not to mention the void you'd create at OLB.

Nice sentiment but not feasible right now.

I wouldn't bench Carter at all, I love Carter, I liked him in San Fran...I just think having Orakpo coming off the blind side would be effective...but I really don't have a preference on what side he is...Orakpo played Right Defensive End in college, so he could play right end for all I care, he could play left end...he just needs to be rushing the passer every single down, and he does have the size...have u seen him? he's a monster, and he's the perfect combination of speed and power...and i realize the void that is created at LOLB, thats why I suggested putting McIntosh at LOLB, and putting Chris Wilson, or those other LB's we have at ROLB, which is the lesser critical of the LB positions...McIntosh at least has experience playing linebacker...a few years more experience than Orakpo does

I wouldn't bench Carter at all, I love Carter, I liked him in San Fran...I just think having Orakpo coming off the blind side would be effective...but I really don't have a preference on what side he is..

He already comes off the edge on blitzes. Not much more you can do with him right now considering how well Carter is playing.

Orakpo played Right Defensive End in college, so he could play right end for all I care, he could play left end...he just needs to be rushing the passer every single down, and he does have the size...have u seen him? he's a monster, and he's the perfect combination of speed and power...

It's not about power only but size. He's 20 pounds lighter than Daniels and Jarmon. LDE is about containment as much as it is about rushing the passer.

and i realize the void that is created at LOLB, thats why I suggested putting McIntosh at LOLB, and putting Chris Wilson, or those other LB's we have at ROLB, which is the lesser critical of the LB positions...McIntosh at least has experience playing linebacker...a few years more experience than Orakpo does

McIntosh is already at LOLB. Wilson spells Orakpo when he plays RDE but Chris is a converted rush DE and doesn't have the talent that Orakpo has, even being out of his natural position.

He already comes off the edge on blitzes. Not much more you can do with him right now considering how well Carter is playing.

It's not about power only but size. He's 20 pounds lighter than Daniels and Jarmon. LDE is about containment as much as it is about rushing the passer.

McIntosh is already at LOLB. Wilson spells Orakpo when he plays RDE but Chris is a converted rush DE and doesn't have the talent that Orakpo has, even being out of his natural position.

I kno he already comes off the edge..im saying that he needs to line up as DE and come off the edge on every single down...

Yes, he is 20 lbs lighter...but he has the ability to do the containment job that others do...watch some of his college videos, he can contain the run...as far as positioning goes, I would ideally put him on w/e opposite side carter is..im not exactly sure which side he plays on...i kno in collge orakpo played on the right side..and he was good at containing the run, rushing the passer, staying at home and not being fooled by reverses...all of that

The suggestion to put Wilson there is just using people on the roster...i kno wilson is also a converted DE, and ideally, i would want us to sign a free agent out there somewhere that can play LB for us, or even look to the future and draft one in the middle rounds, but the wilson suggestion wasn't a solution to the problems, it was a temporary patch to get us to the offseason where we could put a strong player there...I also was not aware that they moved McIntosh to ROLB, i thought they put Orakpo at strong side and kept McIntosh at weak? did they flip it around and put McIntosh at strong and have Orakpo play weak?

I kno he already comes off the edge..im saying that he needs to line up as DE and come off the edge on every single down...

Yes, he is 20 lbs lighter...but he has the ability to do the containment job that others do...watch some of his college videos, he can contain the run...as far as positioning goes, I would ideally put him on w/e opposite side carter is..im not exactly sure which side he plays on...i kno in collge orakpo played on the right side..and he was good at containing the run, rushing the passer, staying at home and not being fooled by reverses...all of that

The suggestion to put Wilson there is just using people on the roster...i kno wilson is also a converted DE, and ideally, i would want us to sign a free agent out there somewhere that can play LB for us, or even look to the future and draft one in the middle rounds, but the wilson suggestion wasn't a solution to the problems, it was a temporary patch to get us to the offseason where we could put a strong player there...I also was not aware that they moved McIntosh to ROLB, i thought they put Orakpo at strong side and kept McIntosh at weak? did they flip it around and put McIntosh at strong and have Orakpo play weak?

You are well intentioned but just wrong. You do not replace a RDE on pace for 12 sacks with a rookie.

Orakpo already has had issues with containment as a OLB, putting him at LDE ahead of guys that are natural LDE's would be unwise.

I'm not a fan of Blache's system but here is one case of him making the best of a bad situation.

You are well intentioned but just wrong. You do not replace a RDE on pace for 12 sacks with a rookie.

Orakpo already has had issues with containment as a OLB, putting him at LDE ahead of guys that are natural LDE's would be unwise.

I'm not a fan of Blache's system but here is one case of him making the best of a bad situation.

I don't want to replace anybody on pace for 12 sacks...i want to replace the other DE who isn't...which i believe is Phillip Daniels...Orakpo is having trouble with containment at OLB, because it isn't his natural position..it is a lot different trying to contain the run when you are in the trenches, as opposed to behind the trenches...im not trying to make an argument to put him where Carter is and take Carter out...that would be as bonehead of a move as when the skins lost derrick dockery and signed two tackles to play guard...I'm just saying that Orakpo needs to be playing DE, if he is going to learn anything in practice..have it be containment at the DE position, not the OLB position, because it isn't his natural position, and you can tell how comfortable he is on the line, so I just think he should be put where he is most comfortable...i just dnt think it makes much sense to draft a DE and make him play LB...if we needed a OLB, why didn't we draft an OLB? I mean, yes Orakpo is playing well anyways, but that just shows his talent...if we really want him to shine, we would put him at DE...now, the argument of wha side is more for people who know more about that position...I agree to not take out Carter, and I understand if he is undersized to play where Daniels is...but he needs to be on the line, rushing the passer, alongside Carter and Haynesworth on every single down...this will give us sacks out the whazoo.

So we start Carter and Orakpo at DE. Is it really a good trade off that we sack the QB 5x per game but suddenly start giving up 150-200 rushing yards per game?

Ideally this would be the gameplan for next year since we are already knee deep in it this year, there is no saving us....If we had done that this year, I would've suggested getting Derrick Brooks when he was out there, since we love Big Name Veterans so much, but like I said, this would be ideal for next year, so we would get a better player via free agency, or trade, to fill that void at OLB so that we dnt give up so many rushing yards...maybe Shawne Merriman can ressurect his career here? maybe there's another free agent LB out there that can give us good run stopping support, but this would be an ideal move for next year, or whenever we can get a good LB, so that we can move Orakpo to DE

Never really thought about this...ERRRR

Orakpo is playing very well better than most rookies and you want to change what?

Yeah, really. Why change something that's working? I don't get it. Orakpo will eventually play DE. But probably not until Carter leaves, or his play falters.

In theory, what you're saying is a good idea. But now is not the right time.

Really, doing something is better than nothing. Our defense couldn't be doing any less than they are currently doing in trying to help our team win games. Corner cushion no blitz no turnovers failing at field position time of possession, completely predictable game after game... Blache ignores our floundering offensive woes. He should be attacking QB's - doing exactly what every team does to us.

It starts with the pass rush. Sure we have more sacks this year. But we have more loses. We are not forcing turnovers, often caused by pressuring the QB. Turnovers dictate games folks - 80% win percentage winning that stat blindly.

Moving Orapko generates more heat on the QB (since we all know Blache is NOT going to change his approach). He is happy with zero turnovers per game, obviously. Moving him alongside Fat Al protects Rak against the run. Who cares if Carter is better on the right side, he can learn to play left. Suck it up dude. Rak is better at DE so all players make sacrifices.

Wilson would be our Sam. I see no problem with that since Rak has done little there himself. Maybe go more Cobra. Sign Lavar do anything, something. We need a change to stimulate turnovers and Rak is our MVP with his hand in the dirt, not Carter.

Orakpo and Carter CAN NOT both play DE at the same time. One of the defense's major weaknesses right now is outside containment. Both of them STRUGGLE in this area. Carter always runs up field or gets sealed by a TE, and runners run right outside of him.

If Orakpo and Carter both played DE together, teams would have a field day running the football.

The options were to either have Carter or Orakpo come off the bench for each other, or to get the BEST PLAYERS on the field... So Blache put Orakpo at LB.... I know he's 1000x better with his hand in the dirt so to speak, but you can't have both of those guys playing DE fulltime... Not until they learn how to contain....

I'd rather have Orakpo on the field 100% of the time, even if it means playing some LB... versus having either Orakpo or Carter missing several plays in fear of teams pounding the run to the outside...

Archived