Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll, What aspect of football do you enjoy most?

codeorama

Not trying to be flip here, but .... winning.

The Skins can win 9-7 in a nailbiting defensive war or 42-40 in a barnburner ... or crunch someone 13-0 in a game that isn't that close or 37-0 in a game that didn't feel like a blowout at all.

I just live for that moment when you KNOW the game is over, whether it comes with a quarter and a half still to play, or as the ball passes through the uprights (or not) on the last second FG attempt.

The game itself; the rhythms of it, the sounds of it, the viceral feel of it ... I love it. And when I'm watching a game NOT involving my team, I love to watch how each game plays out and study who is doing what and thrill at a great tackle or run or pass or catch.

But when my team IS playing ... I admit it. I want them to win. Period.

I really miss that.

I'm a huge fan of the passing game, whether it be vertical or West Coast, but I echo all of Om's sentiments on the game as a whole, which is why I truly enjoy watching NFL Tonight, and Monday Night Countdown when Jaws or Hodge break down tape.

:cheers:

Om, I know where you are coming from and my intention wasn't to speculate anything other than..... Winning aside, what do you like watching.

If we win by running the ball, fine, I would enjoy a win that way much more than a loss with 500 passing yards. But, in general, I enjoy the passing game the most.

The running game. The passing game is fun to watch and all, but I love watching one team beat the snot out of the other. That's what football is about. Punching it up the gut in the rain and the mud and dirt-encrusted jerseys and helmets so scratched up you can't see the logo anymore, not this run around in a climate-controlled dome and toss the ball five yards so your indoor track team can show how fast they are. That's pretty-boy ball. Oh, and the Shotgun is for sissies.

Ultimately I agree with Om. I don't really care as long as we're winning. But if I am given the choice of winning with the majestic artistry of a precision pass attack or the brutal domination of a power running game, I'll take brutal every time.

Honestly, Code, I don’t have a preference over style of play or side of the ball. I simply love The Game ... I love seeing all aspects of it played well ... the ebb and flow and momentum shifts and emotions and anger and euphoria ... but, when my teams are concerned, especially the winning, regardless of what means achieve the end.

My best football memories are of the middle Gibbs years, when, heading into each and every game, I just KNEW that my team was going to win. By then, I had grown accustomed to setting down to winning football ... and looking forward to seeing just how we’d accomplish it that particular day. It didn’t matter to me what the final score was, or which aspect of the game played the biggest role, it was simply the expectation of being the best team on the field, and the confidence that by the final gun, my team was going to be on top.

Sure, I got spoiled over the years, and I’d have a momentary sense of outrage when we didn’t smoke the Cardinals by 20, and rather “struggled” to a 7 point win ... but it never lasted. By Monday morning I’d be pleasantly buzzed and hung over from winning ... and counting the hours until we could kick somebody else’s ass. Losing games during those years was simply unthinkable. We had the best coached and prepared team every week – I just KNEW it – and when we did lose, it was simply that either we ran out of time, or the other guy got lucky.

I can’t separate Redskins football from the winning. I can’t.

That’s what has made the last few years so unbearable. The isolated wins, and there were some big ones, were momentarily satisfying, sure ... but the knowledge that we were NOT the best prepared team week in and week out, and that the OTHER team was the one thinking they had simply run out of time or gotten unlucky, was always there, lingering sour in my gut. Even in the lone playoff year in ‘99, I never really believed in that team.

I watched, and I yelled and moaned and carried on during games, but it was always lacking the conviction and practical certainty of winning that I had come to consider almost my RIGHT as a Redskins fan, rather than the privilege it was. That feeling has died hard.

Truthfully ... when it comes to Redskins Football ... at this point all I care about is winning.

And it’s not all that different, really, when it comes to watching other teams play. I love a good passing game, but I also love a good running game. And I love great defensive football. I care about well-played football; playing the game right; blocking and tackling well; calling good plays and making good adjustements. Executing. Hitting the open man. Not jumping offsides. CARING.

And for chrissakes, play the game the way it was meant to be played ... as a TEAM.

All that stuff that sounds horribly cliched, I know, but it’s how I view the game. It’s what I love, and why the start of TC today is, in my eyes, one third holiday, one third vice, one third religious observance ... and all good.

Personally.. I like the BIG plays. Be it a 40 yards scamper.... and 70-yard bomb... a game-changing interception... a game-winning field goal... a crucial fumble.. or a big-time sack at a critical point in the game.

But the last 2 minutes of a close ball game can put my stomach in knots. It's amazing what teams do and players accomplish with the game on the line.

What a rush!

Originally posted by Die Hard

Personally.. I like the BIG plays. Be it a 40 yards scamper.... and 70-yard bomb... a game-changing interception... a game-winning field goal... a crucial fumble.. or a big-time sack at a critical point in the game.

But the last 2 minutes of a close ball game can put my stomach in knots. It's amazing what teams do and players accomplish with the game on the line.

What a rush!

Totally agree there, nothing more satisfying than a long bomb, breakaway run or INT returned for a TD....

I love domination, whether it comes through the air, on the ground, or on defense, or all of the above. I love hard hitting and seeing the other team getting demoralized. I can't answer this poll for that reason. All answers apply.

Oh, and don't discount special teams. It's kind of like plays at the plate in baseball. Nothing beats an explosive special teams unit, whether receiving or in coverage.

I really get into the strategy. The way a good coach and his players can set people up and take advantage of strengths and opponents weaknesses. That's part of why I always liked Gibbs so much. Was there anyone better in the second half of a game? Winning is pretty good too.

Color me weird, but I love great line play -- either a huge block from an OL, or a DL ripping through and whacking someone.

The other thing I love about football is the routine, in terms of watching... for years, I've crashed out on the couch with snacks and such, and my wife would take a nap on me as I watched (and would occasionally wake up as I threw a shoe at the TV when Davis fumbled/George threw a pick/special teams gave up a huge return).

Mmm, football season.

-s

I like all three but since you asked for one, I chose the passing game. Gee, I'm like a kid when I think of young Patrick throwing the pigskin down the field...got a big smile on my face right now just thinking about it! :)

Originally posted by Burgold

Was there anyone better in the second half of a game?

From my point of view, that's easy. NO. If the Eagles were behind at halftime, that was usually it. Though I do remember a game at RFK when Cunningham hit Keith Jackson with under a minute to play to cap a 28-point comeback. That was sweet.

To answer the question, I agree with Burgold. I like to see an OC take apart a defense, mixing the run and pass, and taking advantage of/setting up mismatches. Misdirection. Successfully setting up a play-action pass - watching the FS bite as a post develops behind him.

I'm sure most of us would fall into the "all of it" category, but I chose the passing game for this poll. If I had seen a poll like this in 1989 I would have said the running game, but the visored one changed my whole thinking on the matter.

My favorite part on the defensive side is the pass rush. I love watching Simeon Rice down in Tampa as teams try to double him and roll their QB away from him and he still gets pressure on almost every pass play.

Archived