Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snyder Could Learn From the Yankees - Suggestions

MassSkinsFan

My first team is and always will be the Redskins.

My second team was the Senators. We (my family) moved away from DC not long after they moved to Texas. We moved to Long Island (NY).

My third team is the Yankees.

Hate them all you want, they are a successful organization.

Take a look at the Steinbrenner era. It's been almost 40 years now. In that time they've won 7 World Series. That's somewhere around 17% right? During that time, we saw George micromanage the team, and we saw George put real baseball people in charge and get out of the way. Care to guess which was the more successful approach? If the Skins had that kind of track record with Dan Snyder, we'd have 1 or 2 Lombardis more since 1999.

I just watched my #3 team win another World Series. In the post-game, there was the usual kowtowing to the owners. But what I'll take away from the game isn't a memory of Hal Steinbrenner being interviewed, except for his quote about the importance of Brian Cashman, Joe Girardi, and the players. What I'll remember is the players themselves, and how they universally said it was a team effort and they did it not only for themselves, but for the fans.

That's how a class organization looks.

Take a look at that Mr. Snyder, and learn. Learn from the Yankees. Then fix this mess.

While I hate the Yankees, I'll put that aside for a second.

Steinbrenner has a 17% championship right? Over 40 years?

Snyder has a 0% championship. Over 10 years.

Multiply that by 4 and you have 0% over 40 years.

You just can't compare baseball to football... no matter how much you like the team.

While I hate the Yankees, I'll put that aside for a second.

Steinbrenner has a 17% championship right? Over 40 years?

Snyder has a 0% championship. Over 10 years.

Multiply that by 4 and you have 0% over 40 years.

You just can't compare baseball to football... no matter how much you like the team.

Sure baseball doesn't have parity, and yes you can't make a straight-up comparison. But a winning organization is a winning organization.

You said it - zero times anything is zero. That's how many Super Bowls we've won under The Dan. And how many NFC Championships. And NFCE titles.

My point is that if you look at the ups and downs of the Steinbrenner era, you'll see that he figured out that meddling in the day-to-day hurt the team he owned. I hope our owner can make the same mental connection.

I think we all do.

My point is that if you look at the ups and downs of the Steinbrenner era, you'll see that he figured out that meddling in the day-to-day hurt the team he owned. I hope our owner can make the same mental connection.

I think we all do.

I think we all see that. Snyder meddling in this team gets us nowhere. If Snyder sees that, then we will all be better as fans. If not, we've got another tough 10 years on our plate.

In baseball (and basketball), you can build championship teams by throwing a lot of money at a few players.

Football is a rough sport and you will almost ALWAYS lose one of those keys guys to injury per year. You need to be able to have enough money left to have depth guys that can come in and play at a high level. In baseball and basketball, injuries are much less severe and you can have those high-ticket guys in there producing for pretty much the entire season.

The way teams are built in those sports are much different than football. You build championship football teams by doing just that - building cohesive TEAMS, not a collection of a few outstanding players with some scrubs peppered in to fill out the warm body count. It's just way too different to make a comparison.

In baseball (and basketball), you can build championship teams by throwing a lot of money at a few players.

The way teams are built in those sports are much different than football. You build championship football teams by doing just that - building cohesive TEAMS, not a collection of a few outstanding players with some scrubs peppered in to fill out the warm body count. It's just way too different to make a comparison.

You make good points and I won't dispute most of it. But I would challenge a few things. I am not a basketball fan so I can't comment on that. But if you look at the best baseball teams, there are plenty of understudies who make it a team.

Look at some of the guys on the Yanks this year and you'll see people who aren't that great on their own. But these guys are in an organization that teaches them to put the team first and to win. I'm thinking of Hinske, Aceves, and Kennedy to name a few.

Also look at the new guys coming up for the Yanks. They are guys from the farm system - and I realize there is no such system in football. But, those farmhands mostly came through the draft and reflect the FO's ability to make good decisions about the game and not throw good money after bad.

Also look at the new guys coming up for the Yanks. They are guys from the farm system - and I realize there is no such system in football. But, those farmhands mostly came through the draft and reflect the FO's ability to make good decisions about the game and not throw good money after bad.

Agree with you there, and I think it would be interesting if they had some kind of farm system/NFL developmental league. It'd add a lot more interest to the offseason, that's for sure!

The biggest difference in what I'm saying and what you're saying is this, though: yeah, the Yankees have had a lot of role players step up and they're the big reason that the Yankees won this series. However, were any of those guys asked to REPLACE Jeter, A-Rod, Matsui, etc due to injury? They complemented them well, but in football at least some of those kinds of guys will go down to injury for an extended period of time and someone needs to come in and play at a high level in their place. That's the point I was trying to make.

Didn't the Yankees pay 3 players something like 200 million alone this past off season? I'm just wondering what the average salary is per player amongst the rest of the team

I'm sure it's not even close to that amount. I hear this "Yankees spent blah blah blah" crap all the time from my local Sox fan friends, but they're #2 in spending. I do admire their organization though because they got a clue about how to make it work, and for most of this decade they kicked NY's ass.

I'm sure it's not even close to that amount. I hear this "Yankees spent blah blah blah" crap all the time from my local Sox fan friends, but they're #2 in spending. I do admire their organization though because they got a clue about how to make it work, and for most of this decade they kicked NY's ass.

I wasnt trying to ruffle feathers but i could of swore they spent an ungodly amount on 3 players or something like that. I dont really follow baseball all that much anymore, but i did just find this article.. looks to be close to that amount.. holy shiznit batman LOL http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/28/the-yankees-big-three-plus-one/

Congrats to them none the less, but football isnt baseball and vice versa, comparing the 2 is just silly imo

ummm please is this a joke?... this is a terrible thread... not only do the yankees get by buying up everyones all star players when they can't afford them they also have tradition that makes every all star want to come play there....

The NFL has a salary cap, a more intriguing team game that can't just be won on stats or a 3 all star bullpen.

Baseball is just so different. The Yankees have spent upwards of a billion dollars more than most teams the past decade to buy that title. Snyder is trying to do the same thing. Thankfully, the NFL had a hard cap and that is part of the reason the NFL is a much better product than the MLB.

No salary cap in baseball helps a bit. My favorite baseball team, The Cincy Reds had a $73 million payroll in 2009 and finished near dead last. The Yankees had a $201 million payroll and won the series. The 2nd highest were the Mets at $149 mill.

and baseball wonders why they are probably the 3rd most popular sport in the US now behind the NFL and NBA. People aren't dumb......when the season opens for Baseball.....you know there are some teams who have nearly no shot at winning it all. There should be no situation where the highest payroll is 2 or 3 times higher than the lowest.

ummm please is this a joke?... this is a terrible thread... not only do the yankees get by buying up everyones all star players when they can't afford them they also have tradition that makes every all star want to come play there....

The NFL has a salary cap, a more intriguing team game that can't just be won on stats or a 3 all star bullpen.

No joke. My point is to compare how the owner behaves on my two favorite teams, because on one he does it right and on the other, wrong.

Archived