Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As things are we're promised a top 5 pick in the 10' draft, what next?

Demicidal

The question is simple, what do we do with it?

I'd like to see us trade our top 5 pick, I'm sure many teams are interested in getting in the top 5, especially considering that Okung, and Bradford are sure to be taken in the top 5. But the question is what would you want for it? If I'm not mistaken I don't think any team has two first rounders next year, so all we'd be doing is moving down. If we where to trade our pick, to whom, and what would you want in return (player)?

I know the stock answer is to "get more picks" but I wouldn't mind the idea of getting a few players to replenish our ranks and make our team younger but still experienced.

*To clear it up, so the thread doesn't get accused of "already being posted". I'm asking in lamest terms, if we where to move down, what player would you want in return? Like what young player on another roster do you think would be a good fit for our team.

The question is simple, what do we do with it?

I'd like to see us trade our top 5 pick, I'm sure many teams are interested in getting in the top 5, especially considering that Okung, and Bradford are sure to be taken in the top 5. But the question is what would you want for it? If I'm not mistaken I don't think any team has two first rounders next year, so all we'd be doing is moving down. If we where to trade our pick, to whom, and what would you want in return (player)?

I know the stock answer is to "get more picks" but I wouldn't mind the idea of getting a few players to replenish our ranks and make our team younger but still experienced.

The 49ers have 2 1st rounders next year, I'm pretty sure. I'd like to trade down and get a few more picks if possible. We have a bunch of needs that one first round pick won't fix. Unless there is a can't miss guy there when we pick, I'd prefer trading down.

First, this team needs to find the person that will be doing the picking. If there isn't a fresh voice doing so, 80% of the fanbase will have found other things to do and the draft won't matter. If Vinny makes a pick, but no one is there to hear it, does it still count?

If there is one thing consistent from year to year about this time about the draft, the guys we are talking about in October are never the guys we are talking about come April.

Three years ago the consensus pick at this time was DT Alan Branch for our early to mid first rounder. By April he had fallen (barely) out of the first round.

Two years ago at this time we were talking about drafting Malcolm Kelly with our first rounder. By April he was a late second, in which we took anyway.

And last year at this time a big name thrown around was OG Duke Robinson with an early pick to solidify our line early. And in April? Dropped to round five.

i think we stay where we are and we draft a qb (bradford) early. then (if) sleepy Davis puts up some good enough numbers try to trade him for a second. Use both of our second rounders on the oline. I say we get a QB this year because they take time to develop and olineman if chosen properly can have an immediate impact. So whether our QB is sitting and learning for a year or playing, it will make a huge difference in year two.

Who do we have worth swapping for a draft pick? no one, the players worth anything we cant afford to swap, we need both experience and youth not just youth, a QB franchise or otherwise is meaningless at the moment and will be until the OL is up and running properly, Vinny has left this team in a mess, and it will take a GM and JON GRUDEN time to get it up and going again.

GO REDSKINS VOTE1 JON GRUDEN for HEAD COACH

Who do we have worth swapping for a draft pick? no one, the players worth anything we cant afford to swap, we need both experience and youth not just youth, a QB franchise or otherwise is meaningless at the moment and will be until the OL is up and running properly, Vinny has left this team in a mess, and it will take a GM and JON GRUDEN time to get it up and going again.

GO REDSKINS VOTE1 JON GRUDEN for HEAD COACH

A franchise QB is never meaningless... it is everything. You take a Franchise QB if available. Stupid not to. They dont come around often... the 20 or so QB's the Skins have had over the last 15 years should tell you that.

I do agree that the Skins have no players that would get any draft picks in return... there are no teams stupid enough to give up 2nd or 3rd round picks for anyone on this roster. They arent Dan and Vinny....

Dude....even as bad as we are, we're more like the 7th or 8th pick.

0-6/7

Titans

Bucs

Rams

1-5/6 win teams

Chiefs

Browns

Lions

2-5/4 teams

Redskins[/g]

Raiders

Seahawks

Dolphins

Panters

Good post and I agree - I have us about the 8th pick right now absent a complete turnaround on offense.

First off, we aren't a top 5 pick team right now. There are a lot of bad teams this year, we just happen to be one of them. As was stated above, there are a number of teams that have won 0 or 1 game so far.

Second, Bradford is not a Top-5 pick at the moment. Not with two shoulder injuries and not playing the rest of the season.

Third, get more picks isn't always the answer. Look at our last two drafts. Two years ago, we traded back once or twice, stockpiled 2nd rounders, had 10 picks overall. To this point, only a lucky 7th rounder has even remotely contributed from that entire class. Last year, we took Orakpo instead of trading down for more picks. Who's to say which is generally the better way to go about things?

The fact is, this team needs a lot of help, and frankly, I don't care whether they draft the best QB/OT at our slot, or trade down and take a more shotgun approach to the whole thing. If they choose to take the second road, do it for picks only, I don't want another teams castoffs, because they aren't going to trade away their best people.

First, this team needs to find the person that will be doing the picking. If there isn't a fresh voice doing so, 80% of the fanbase will have found other things to do and the draft won't matter. If Vinny makes a pick, but no one is there to hear it, does it still count?

lol, great point.

Apparently in the new CBA it is going to mandate that the Skins trade its 2nd-round pick every year, so that will be gone. Maybe we'll trade it to the Patriots to see if they'll ask Tedy Bruschi to come out of retirement and sit on the bench for a year.

Our 3rd-round pick is gone via Jeremy Jarmon.

We'll probably get a skill position with the 1st-round pick, an interior lineman in the 4th and then use the 5th-7th all on the secondary.

Dude....even as bad as we are, we're more like the 7th or 8th pick.

0-6/7

Titans

Bucs

Rams

1-5/6 win teams

Chiefs

Browns

Lions

2-5/4 teams

Redskins

Raiders

Seahawks

Dolphins

Panters

You have to look at remaining schedule though. We have the toughest remaining schedule in the league. 3-13 would not surprise me at all.

Don't worry about QB this year. Our need for multiple OLineman is just too great. Draft OL and maybe RB in the lower rounds. Getting QB is like putting cart before the horse. Would love to trade down in first round for more picks.

Yes, yes, yes. Stockpile picks, rebuild the line - use every pick on OL if we have to - and re-sign Campbell for cheap, for now.

In fact:

1st round - Russell Okung OT Ok State

2nd Round - Jimmy Klausen - QB Notre Dame

3rd Round (we don't have one but through trades I am hoping we will): John jerry OG Mississippi

4th Round - OT Mike Johnson - Alabama

5th Round - Kyle Wilson CB Boise State

We get the Franchise QB and then go O-Line in the second and fourth.

We won't ever be able to turn a QB into a Franchise QB without the O-Line. What you suggested is what Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato have done over and over again.

We HAVE to draft an OL in the FIRST round. Then I'd take a RB in the second round.

In the year after this one we should draft ANOTHER OL in the FIRST ROUND.

Archived