Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If the next GM is Scott Campbell or Morroco Brown...

The Full Monty

Working on the possibility that Cerrato may indeed be fired after this season, but instead of bringing in a total outsider like De Costa or snagging Floyd Reese from the Pats, etc., and the coaching re-treads (Holmgren, Shanny) don't bite...

Dan Snyder surprises instead promotes Director of Player Personnel and Director of College Scouting Scott Campbell (a former Marty hire) or current Pro Personnel Director Morocco Brown (Vinny hire) to be the end-all football authority, at least on paper.

Do you feel the same excitement?

Or does that only come with a complete outsider?

I for one have been impressed with Scott Campbell's work when he was Pro Player Director (Springs, Griffin, Washington, Moss) and now that he is College Scouting Director (Golston, Blades, Doughty, Horton...I'm giving him credit for these because I don't think Vinny and Dan let anyone else do the high round draft picks as was shown in their horrific (so far ;) ) 2008 3 2nd rounders and Mr. Softie Chad Rinehart in the 3rd.

Morocco Brown's hiring drew rave reviews at the time, although I still don't know too much about him. He's young, a hard worker, with ties to the organization from years back.

I think it's an interesting question because all the GM talk usually centers on outsiders, but if it were one of these two men, how would you feel about it? For some reason I can imagine Snyder doing this.

I don't mind a first time HC, but I would rather have an experienced GM with relationships through out the league. Let him pick the HC. The next GM should be someone who will not allow Snyder to have final say. Someone who will see things as they truly are, and not spin the facts to make themselves look good.

Working on the possibility that Cerrato may indeed be fired after this season, but instead of bringing in a total outsider like De Costa or snagging Floyd Reese from the Pats, etc., and the coaching re-treads (Holmgren, Shanny) don't bite...

Dan Snyder surprises instead promotes Director of Player Personnel and Director of College Scouting Scott Campbell (a former Marty hire) or current Pro Personnel Director Morocco Brown (Vinny hire) to be the end-all football authority, at least on paper.

Thats what Vinny is on paper now why would someone else come in and do the same thing? It needs toi be actual GM that makes decisions and has a check to do all the signings and such

I don't mind a first time HC, but I would rather have an experienced GM with relationships through out the league. Let him pick the HC. The next GM should be someone who will not allow Snyder to have final say. Someone who will see things as they truly are, and not spin the facts to make themselves look good.

tom dimitroff in atlanta was a first time gm and i think that his short body of work speaks for itself. just saying.

i would love it if campbell or brown became our gm as long as it is not another charade like the vinny saga is proving to be. i think that these guys know how to build a football team and will emphasize the draft.

I'd prefer an outside guy, especially if his staff is not chosen for him before he is hired a la Zorn.

I agree. I want an outsider who comes in and gets to do all the hiring himself.

I don't understand what makes people so sure that Scott Campbell or Morocco Brown are so great. How can you tell? As far as I'm concerned they are a part of the poor culture that has permeated through that front office for 10 years.

I'd prefer an outside guy, especially if his staff is not chosen for him before he is hired a la Zorn.

Agreed, though The Full Monty poses a good question. I've batted around the same idea myself. But I'd rather have someone who has some stature that we'll know will be able to stand up against Dan's impetuousness and will have the balls to say "No".

If the complaint is the Redskins have not hired an experienced GM in 10 years and Snyder hears that criticism, there is little likelihood he is going to hire Campbell or Brown who have no experience running their own operations as the 'face of the franchise'.

The problem with them will be the perception that they are nothing but Snyder enablers if they took over for Vinny.

I'd rather go outside this current organization and start fresh and hope that the outsider only agreed to come if Danny stays out of football ops.

This is the problem (and fear) that I have with these guys. As much of a fan of Scott Campbell as I am, I can't help but think that he's a part of this mess and allows it to exist, so I can't think he'd be much different as a GM. I'd like a GM who's willing to step up to Snyder and say "Thats a dumb move and I'm not making it, no go play somewhere I'm busy". I just don't see it in many people on our coaching staff or front office. But maybe Blache and Gray are that way, and so maybe I can be surprised by Campbell and/or Brown.

If the complaint is the Redskins have not hired an experienced GM in 10 years and Snyder hears that criticism, there is little likelihood he is going to hire Campbell or Brown who have no experience running their own operations as the 'face of the franchise'.

Who's to say that he hears the criticism about wanting an "experienced" GM? I'd think that he'd try to do something like hire somebody and give them the title of GM, but the same power as Vinny right now, ala keeping the same structure as we have in place, but just with the 'title' of a GM.

Honestly, if we were to go this route, I'd be looking at the Ravens front office. It seems that they're good at drafting good players. Maybe somebody like Eric DeCosta.

DeCosta seems to be the name on the lips of the fans here but not sure if he would even be considered knowing Dannyboy's record with GM's.

Archived