Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If the next GM is Scott Campbell or Morroco Brown...

The Full Monty

I don't feel that Snyder would fully respect the in-house guys like Campbell or Brown enough to give them full control of the team. Even if their scouting talent is superior and more responsible than Cerrato, Snyder still needs to get his meddling out of the team. A true football mind needs to be in complete control of what moves this team makes. Snyder can support the team by signing the checks and giving the proper resources to get those moves made.

The counter to that is that many of the top-tier outside guys will treat Danny like the coaches did two years ago. Then Danny will have to make a choice between in-house talent (Williams and Blache) or lower grade outside talent (Zorn and Fassel). Hopefully we hire the best guy available and not just somebody who'll be the owner's lapdog.

being edgy and the skins needing it to be done right this time soo bad, they need to get as close to a sure thing as possible.Polian would be a dream but i just don't see him leavin the Colts but who knows.maybe if Snyder whips out the ol wallet and offers him insane money and gives him the title team pres/gm then he might take it on condition that Dan sits back and hands off.probably a pipe dream but it would be soo sweet if it did.this man has done it 3 times with 3 different teams,i don't know of any other Gm that is doing it now has done that.Tuna would be good but i don't think that he and Snyder could work together.Danny and his heavy hand and Tuna's my way or the high way stuff,but if it could work i think it would be nice.Holmgrin is another good guy and coach but i really have had enough of the skins trying to be San Fran East.Maybe someone from the Eagles but that would be a culture shock for the in coming Gm and Snyder.Snyder likes to spend and the Eagles are cheap.could have had Pioli but he's in KC now,Smith in San diego has built a great team and has a good eye for talent but i don't like his choice in coaches.he will never win with you know who(we just got to find a way to win).the ginats(on purpose) would also be a team to look at in possibly getting a Gm,they draft awesomely but i admit that i am not clear on who would come here.i know the main guy wouldn't.unless maybe the same way as Polian with the obsene money and Pres title.other than that i doubt it. i'm not up on any other teams Gm that is soo attractive.but this more than anything Snyder has done will mark his ownership,he hits it right and within a couple of years this team is competitive and people begin to forget the painful years.and then with a good Gm we begin to fight after the cup legit every year with no end in sight unless the cap becomes issue and only for a year or two.

I wonder who's up under Polian, Reese, and Smith. Looking it up I see:

Giants:

Vice President of Player Evaluation – Chris Mara

Assistant General Manager – Kevin Abrams

Director of Pro Personnel – David Gettleman

Colts:

Senior Executive Vice President – Pete Ward

Executive Vice President – Bob Terpening

Vice President of Football Operations – Chris Polian

Chargers:

Senior Executive – Randy Mueller

Director of Player Personnel – Jimmy Raye

Director of Pro Scouting – Dennis Abraham

Director of College Scouting – John Spanos

I'd hope that they're good at their jobs and I'd wonder about the possibility of bringing them here. The real negative about hiring one of these guys is - just like DeCosta - these guys don't really have a resume as GM so they probably can't tell the owner to STFU and let me do my job the way a Reese or a Polian could, and honestly, that kinda lowers them in my mind. Now if we were able to get a legit GM in here with a history of success, I'd love it, but I don't see it happening.

And this is all contingent upon an unlikely scenario - the firing of Vinny.

If we were to get Reese we would also get his wife. That could prove interesting.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/23/floyd-reeses-wife-goes-off-on-titans/

Floyd Reese's wife goes off on Titans

Posted by Mike Florio on October 23, 2009 5:56 AM ET

Rarely if ever do we hear from the wives of anyone in the NFL other than the players. Even then, it's typically the wife of a high-profile player, like Kurt Warner or, well, Kurt Warner.

But, on Thursday, the wife of Floyd Reese, former G.M. of the Titans and current senior advisor to the Patriots, sounded off regarding the manner in which the Titans treated Reese -- and regarding her satisfaction with the manner in which Reese's new team dismantled his old one.

Appearing on WGFX in Nashville (via the Nashville City Paper), Sally Reese suggested that Floyd was fired with no notice, that he was given no opportunity to clean out his office, and that his resignation letter was written by Titans senior V.P. Steve Underwood.

She called the station in response to comments from John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, who covered the Titans when they were the Houston Oilers and who apparently suggested that some sort of friction between Floyd Reese and coach Jeff Fisher contributed to Reese's departure.

"I was here in Nashville, and I was listening to John McClain speak, and I just had to kind of set the record straight, because my husband won't," Sally Reese said. "There was no fighting between Jeff and Floyd. I will say this, if pressed, that different people called us for months before and said they were picking sides. . . .

"So bottom line is my husband just went along and did his job and everything was just fine and one day he went to work and said, 'Gee after 21 years we're going in a different direction.' Floyd still kind of didn't get that. It was like, 'What, what?' Now what I read and I hear all that stuff. My husband was totally oblivious. All he did was his job."

As to the suggestion of friction between the two, Sally Reese in a roundabout way confirmed that Fisher wanted Reese out.

"He kept Jeff from getting fired two times," she said. "So if he'd let him get fired, he'd still be there. Hello?

click on link for more

a couple of questions for you guys that dont want campbell to be our gm.

for those of you who think that campbell is going to be another product of our crappy current front office and he is one of the reasons that we are in this boat, what actual power do you guys think that he has?

second, say we go out and get an established gm. what would you guys think of making campbell an assistant gm so that he could learn how to really run a franchise?

Well, I like Campbell, but I just don't think he has the cojones to go eye to eye with the owner and say "no, I don't want that guy". And I only say that because there's no record of him having done that in the past. So if he's named, he could be another Vinny, a good scout/evaluator of talent who can't say no to Snyder.

As far as the Assistant GM, whats the point of that? I mean, it'd be nice to keep him, but its just a title unless there are some implied duties there I'm not hearing about.

I rather it be an outside guy too. Scott Campbell does have a bright future ahead of him as someone said in the thread, but again with blowing up the franchise, it involves no one associated with the current regime. So hopefully Dan sees this and does the right thing, and bring someone in from the outside with a brand new idea for the franchise.

Archived