Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Samuels retires, what are the salary cap ramifications?

EvoSkins

Why haven't we IR'd him? He keeps talking about things in terms of "the next couple of months". Its late October, are we saving him for the playoffs? IR him and open up another roster spot.

Well, first off, this statement didn't come until today. We aren't going to sign anyone this close to a game.

I guess it would depend how long the team is willing to wait and how much they really need that roster spot for another position. I have a feeling there will be a lot of talking done during the bye about that.

Why haven't we IR'd him? He keeps talking about things in terms of "the next couple of months". Its late October, are we saving him for the playoffs? IR him and open up another roster spot.

Probably because they don't have a move to make right now. No need to toss a guy onto the active roster who won't play.

This only counts if he retires at the end of the season and if there is a CBA with the same rules regarding this situation in 2010.

In most cases, if a player retires, the remaining signing bonus that has not been included in salary “accelerates” and is included in that year’s team salary. Thus, the team will take an immediate salary cap hit of the remaining signing bonus.

No ramifications this year as we'll just IR him 'till the end of the year. If there's a cap next year and we release him, he'll cost over $14 million against the cap. Of course that can be split in half over 2010 & 2011 but it's still a very big hit. Add in another $6 million for Randy Thomas and things aren't looking good for us if there's a cap.

Thank you. I was beginning to feel like I was the only one with this question. It's been very obvious that he had no plans to play again this season since a couple days after his stinger. It's not like we couldn't have used that roster space for a freaking o-lineman.

It does seem like his delay in retirment has to do with cap space. Although a lot of guys do retire publicly without filing the papers (cough-Favre-cough).

This only counts if he retires at the end of the season and if there is a CBA with the same rules regarding this situation in 2010.

I think if they do get a salary cap with a new CBA stuff like that will be gotten rid of. Retirements, career ending injuries, and deaths should all get stricken from the cap. More money to pay new guys but the retired players would only lose incentive pay.

Randy had a cap cost of $5,606,000 next year.

No ramifications this year as we'll just IR him 'till the end of the year. If there's a cap next year and we release him, he'll cost over $14 million against the cap. Of course that can be split in half over 2010 & 2011 but it's still a very big hit. Add in another $6 million for Randy Thomas and things aren't looking good for us if there's a cap.

I think if they do get a salary cap with a new CBA stuff like that will be gotten rid of. Retirements, career ending injuries, and deaths should all get stricken from the cap. More money to pay new guys but the retired players would only lose incentive pay.

I got to disagree. That's part of the risk you run in signing players especially those with big bonuses. No one forced us to sign him, and really his cap hit is are problem because we've kept restructuring his deal........why give teams a break for not managing their cap efficently.

Yes, but releasing him, which seems likely as he can't stay on the field, would result in a cap hit of $6.1 million.

The above is correct - for Thomas if we release him or he retires in the next league year the cap hit would be $6.1M.

For Samuels the release fee next year would be $14.3M. If he decided to retire right now we would be on the hook for a fee of $19.3M and we would have (I think) 6 working days to resturcture other contracts or release players to create that amount of cap room.

Given our cap position (we had $1.7M of cap room before we signed Levi Jones) creating that much space this year is a practical impossibility and so there is zero chance Samuels announces his retirment this year even if he has decided to do so and informed the team. We would just IR him.

Its looking likely but by no means certain that next year may well be uncapped - and if Samuels and Thomas are gone which is a very good bet we had better hope thats the case.

"All this talk of salary cap ramifications concerning a player who has not even officially retired, seems a bit insensitive.."

What does sensitivity have to do with Mondays game ?

"Well, first off, this statement didn't come until today. We aren't going to sign anyone this close to a game."

"Probably because they don't have a move to make right now. No need to toss a guy onto the active roster who won't play."

We have guys every week who are ready to play who are left off the active list due to numbers.Maybe Marko Mitchell could be ready.... I don't understand him NOT having a chance to do NOTHING like the others.

We also have a practice squad...specifically for developing talent AND having guys ready to JUMP in.

Archived