Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do the PLAYERS want Campbell over Collins?

ThePreciating

We can argue what we think about Campbell all day. Some of us like him, some of us hate him, but all of us know he has not lived up to our hopes, at least not yet.

However, it seems every player we have wants Campbell to be the starter. I don't want to hear why YOU want/don't want Campbell to start. I want to hear legitimate reasons for why the players want Campbell to be the starter. Is it because they want continuity? Is it because they know how to adjust to his throws better? Is it because Moss and Cooley think the ball is more likely to come their way with Campbell?

Is it because they think Collins is too old? Is it because Campbell is acting as a good scapegoat, taking heat off of our receivers?

Why do the players want Campbell over Collins? Again - I don't want to hear why Sherm Lewis, Jim Zorn, Vinny Cerrato, or you have certain opinions about Campbell. Why do the PLAYERS want him?

Same reason why they wanted Brunell over JC. They will always support the incumbent starter. Thats just protocol. Have you ever heard of any players supporting a backup over the starter when permanant change hasn't been made?

So you think the players actually want Collins, but they have to say they want Campbell to the media? I don't think that's crazy - I think that's very possible. Still, I would think that the perfect pass to Moss had to make Santana think twice.

So you think the players actually want Collins, but they have to say they want Campbell to the media? I don't think that's crazy - I think that's very possible. Still, I would think that the perfect pass to Moss had to make Santana think twice.

I dont want to digress on your topic... but you should go watch the play again. The pass wasn't perfect, it was overthrown, had it been perfect it's Moss for 6....

Sorry for digressing :cool2:

I agree to some degree about the incumbent thing - its the guy they have practiced with for years, he's there guy, etc. But I do think most players believe, as bad as the offense is, Campbell still has a higher ceiling, and if everyone played to their potential, they would be a better offense with Campbell as QB than Todd. Everyone believes this, but at a certain point you cut your losses and try to shake it up - and its apprarently the FOs decision when to make that call.

Same reason why they wanted Brunell over JC. They will always support the incumbent starter. Thats just protocol. Have you ever heard of any players supporting a backup over the starter when permanant change hasn't been made?

This is 100% correct.

They probably want someone who can actually throw the ball over a 5'6" defender (which by the way Collins seemed incapable of achieving) and actually have the ball make it past the opposing d-line, so they can at least try to make a play. The play won't work, of course, but at least give it a chance.

Outside of what's been posted above about players always backing the incumbent, when have any of them really stood up publicly and said "he's our GUY!"

Zorn does, but seriously, outside of him, when has that been said with conviction from the players?

Cooley's muted it as a par-for-the-course answer, and Hall's been quoted, but how many times have the players really stood up and backed him publicly? :whoknows:

Hail.

no player on offense is gonna come out and say which guy they prefer.

d hall is the only guy i heard say he didnt agree with the switch.

I think thats because DH has a different look on the issue. He can compare it his own situation where most "experts" said he was done and was a lousy corner. He needed the right stuation to shine. I think that is his direct testament to the JC situation... at least IMO.

I'm guessing its because they taking all the reps with him in practice so they're familiar with him even if he is kinda weak (they GOTTA see that)..so u faced with reps with someone for 5 months and reps with someone for a week -- what would you do lol

Except in his play. Minus the jerk part.

His characters never been in question.

Hail.

That was my point. Leif was a rookie, playing poorly, and a jerk. So no one had any problem throwing him under the bus. JC is a good guy and despite marginal play has earned respect and friendship of his teammates. So no one on the team will bad mouth him, and they shouldn't. That doesn't necessarily mean they don't think they need a new QB.

The politically correct thing for players to say would actually be something like, "No matter who's back there I have to do my job" or "That decision is up to the coaches and I'll support whoever they pick". See the Vikings all summer. So if players' have actually come out ans said they want Campbell I'd be surprised.

That was my point. Leif was a rookie, playing poorly, and a jerk. So no one had any problem throwing him under the bus. JC is a good guy and despite marginal play has earned respect and friendship of his teammates. So no one on the team will bad mouth him, and they shouldn't. That doesn't necessarily mean they don't think they need a new QB.

well said

I would have thought the same, but we have members on this forum who think he is a jerk.... go look at the thread about his comments on 106.7

Then, to use the new, ridiculous term that's been banded around here lately at those that question him, anyone doing that most certainly has an "agenda."

Outside of one disappointing episode this past off-season when he fell back on the race card, Jason's character and work ethic has never been anything short of exemplary through his time here.

Justifiably critique his play on the field, but not the man off it.

Hail.

Archived