Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you know/believe about Kyle Orton?

SkinsNumberOne

Will Kyle Orton start throwing picks all of a sudden?

I think the OL is doing a great job of protecting him, which is what is making most of the difference for him this year. Has McDaniels made Orton into a premiere QB? He isn't a new QB, is it all McDaniels making Orton look great?

Look at his career numbers (in particular INTs):

Year     Age  Tm Pos No.  G GS   QBrec Cmp  Att Cmp%  Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A  Y/C   Y/G Rate Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% AV
2005      23 CHI  QB  18 15 15  10-5-0 190  368 51.6 1869  9 2.4  13  3.5  54 5.1  4.0  9.8 124.6 59.7 30 190  4.2   3.2 7.5  2
2007      25 CHI      18  3  3   2-1-0  43   80 53.8  478  3 3.8   2  2.5  55 6.0  5.6 11.1 159.3 73.9  2  12  5.7   5.3 2.4  1
2008      26 CHI  QB  18 15 15   9-6-0 272  465 58.5 2972 18 3.9  12  2.6  65 6.4  6.0 10.9 198.1 79.6 27 160  5.7   5.3 5.5  9
2009      27 DEN       8  5            104  165 63.0 1236  7 4.2   1  0.6  87 7.5  8.1 11.9 247.2 97.4  8  47  6.9   7.4 4.6   
Career                   38 33 21-12-0 609 1078 56.5 6555 37 3.4  28  2.6  87 6.1  5.6 10.8 172.5 75.1 67 409  5.4   4.9 5.9 12
3 yrs        CHI         33 33 21-12-0 505  913 55.3 5319 30 3.3  27  3.0  65 5.8  5.2 10.5 161.2 71.1 59 362  5.1   4.5 6.1 12
1 yr         DEN          5            104  165 63.0 1236  7 4.2   1  0.6  87 7.5  8.1 11.9 247.2 97.4  8  47  6.9   7.4 4.6   

Again, 27 INTs in 3 years at CHI. 1 INT at DEN.

Curious to hear your thoughts.

I am totally unsure on this - I think the OL is giving him time, and I have always thought Orton had a good arm. For those who don't know him from Purdue, he has always been

a solid QB with a good arm, but INTs were usually his undoing. I just can't imagine that has changed - unless McDaniels found something in him he didn't have before (patience

or something, I don't know). I think it's possible McDaniels worked out the INT issue somehow, which I think was the main thing holding him back in the past.

His numbers overall ARE better - it's true - and he has a better WR corps. But the INTs he's had in the past, they don't usually just disappear.

As I said in another thread, the Broncos look like geniuses for taking Orton over JC :)

He's facilitating and getting the job done.

Absolutely no doubt of that.

I think they knew what kind of QB they needed and went for it. Meanwhile in our world, we have management who really don't seem to have much of an idea of anything like that. I guess "Tall receive-uh" led to Devin, Malcolm, and Fred. Meanwhile the Broncos get Eddie Royal.

Anyway, as I've said, Orton has always been talented, he could always make great throws, but he had some trouble under pressure and he had a tendency to throw bad picks. This year, he's thrown ONE. In past years, his TD/INT ratio was not so great, this year it's stellar.

Having watched today's game, I see his protection was amazing at many times, and I also think I see a really good scheme and just great personnel to run it. Even if he throws a pick or two, I don't think they're going to be hard pressed if they continue to play like this.

I liked Orton at Purdue, so I'm glad he's doing well.

As I said in another thread, the Broncos look like geniuses for taking Orton over JC :)

He's facilitating and getting the job done.

Everyone knows Jason Campbell sucks.

The real question is, did the Denver Broncos make the right choice in giving up Jay Cutler for Kyle Orton plus the first rounders?

After the first three games, Kyle Orton looked like a lucky little ****, and I would have said no. But he looked incredibly poised versus New England, and I wondered if it was a fluke. He looks great tonight, also. Whew, still ten more games to go...

Everyone knows Jason Campbell sucks.

The real question is, did the Denver Broncos make the right choice in giving up Jay Cutler for Kyle Orton plus the first rounders?

After the first three games, Kyle Orton looked like a lucky little ****, and I would have said no. But he looked incredibly poised versus New England, and I wondered if it was a fluke. He looks great tonight, also. Whew, still ten more games to go...

Just keep in mind that few thought Orton was definitively better than Campbell. By reports, it was a great move by McDaniels.

Also remember what the asking price for Cutler was.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/04/05/trade/index.html

Honestly, my opinion is, if we had given up what they wanted, we'd be hosed because we need those picks to reload on OL and we would not have gotten Orakpo who looks like a solid addition for us. Anyway, I don't want to talk about this here...

To the topic at hand, though, Orton looks great. I think McDaniels' handling of Brandon Marshall (key head coaching thing to get a headcase player to buy in, isn't it?) and his coaching of Orton has him primed for coach of the year going forward. Yeah, not a big statement at this point obviously, but I'm just really impressed by what he's done there.

Just keep in mind that few thought Orton was definitively better than Campbell. By reports, it was a great move by McDaniels.

It was mostly Redskins fan that refused to believe that Kyle Orton might be better than Jason Campbell. That's why we had and continue to have so many people in denial that the kicker was Josh McDaniels preferred Orton over Campbell despite the written reports saying as much.

As for me, I personally didn't think Kyle Orton was much better than Jason Campbell, though I could see Orton being a better fit for a system where the quarterback is relied on as a game manager. I still don't think Kyle Orton is that good. He's had a run of two good games, and neither game did he really carry the team on his back and lead them from a real deficit. The times he did, in the early games of the season, they were some pretty miraculous plays by the receivers.

But we'll see. Orton can prove me wrong.

I know that somebody in the Broncos' organization knew that JC didn't have what it takes and that Orton did. If JC is the Broncos' QB right now, there's no way they would be undefeated right now.

Most reports say McDaniels thought Orton was the more complete package for what he needed. Orton has always had great physical tools - I think it's been mostly the picks that have been problematic. Looking at Orton's history, you can see that he's playing remarkably better than he has in years' past. McDaniels saw what he wanted for his system though.

Looks like he was right.

From a bunch of angles, this looks like some great moves by a coach who wanted people who bought in to what he was teaching, and not a bunch of headcases. They got Brandon Marshall to buy in and he's been amazing for them (not sure if everyone saw the press conference where he and McDaniels hugged, but they basically said they had a private talk that got them on the same page).

It was mostly Redskins fan that refused to believe that Kyle Orton might be better than Jason Campbell. That's why we had and continue to have so many people in denial that the kicker was Josh McDaniels preferred Orton over Campbell despite the written reports saying as much.

I linked a URL where Peter King says "You can think and I can think it's crazy he didn't like Campbell -- who got Washington off to a 6-2 start last year -- more than he liked Orton, but it's the unvarnished truth. McDaniels thinks he can win with Orton." So that sentiment was hardly unique to Redskins fans.

As for me, I personally didn't think Kyle Orton was much better than Jason Campbell, though I could see Orton being a better fit for a system where the quarterback is relied on as a game manager. I still don't think Kyle Orton is that good. He's had a run of two good games, and neither game did he really carry the team on his back and lead them from a real deficit. The times he did, in the early games of the season, they were some pretty miraculous plays by the receivers.

But we'll see. Orton can prove me wrong.

This is the thinking that inspired this thread. I think you're right, the receivers have also been making plays on the ball. There's a trust there. Probably a trust that comes from great preparation.

Also, as has already been noted numerous times in the postgame, this was a tale of two lines. Denver kept Orton clean (scheme + line, I'm sure), whereas Rivers was constantly running for his life or making throws in heavy traffic.

skinsnumberone,

i totally agree. In one of the threads here in ATN i said how i never really understood why orton got a bad rap. His rookie year he was literally thrown into the lineup after the 2 qbs ahead of him went down with injuries.

He also never had anywhere near the skilled receivers in chicago that he has now. When you have receivers who run sharp routes and fight for the ball, its no doubt your ints will go down.

I for one, am very happy for him. he was a innoncent casualty of this whole cutler mess, and so far he is the one laughing all the way home. Hes got a coach who believes in him, stud WRs to throw to, a dominant defense and oh yeah, his team is 6-0.

As soon as NFL teams get more film on McDaniels, he will be Zorn part 2. And Orton will look like Campbell.

Doubt it. The difference makers in this season for them has been that offensive line. Orton never gets pressured, and is able to take advantage of his stud wide receivers and TE. Meanwhile, an elite QB like Philip Rivers looks average because he can't stay up right. I tell ya, it's amazing what an Oline can do ... :doh:

Doubt it. The difference makers in this season for them has been that offensive line. Orton never gets pressured, and is able to take advantage of his stud wide receivers and TE. Meanwhile, an elite QB like Philip Rivers looks average because he can't stay up right. I tell ya, it's amazing what an Oline can do ... :doh:

They key difference in this game was the OLine. I did find myself wondering what Orton would do in the pressure Rivers was facing.

It's not like Orton didn't take his time on a few of those throws, he just had a lot of time for most of his plays. He rolled out of the pocket a few times, and when he did his OLine responded beautifully at those times as well to protect him.

So the jury is kind of out to me. I did see Orton take some big chances and his WRs make some great plays though, which makes me think that if you get a hand in his face, he's going to start throwing some picks again. That was my read based on what I saw today. Also keep in mind they got 2 Special Teams TDs. Man it's been a LONG time since we had any support from that aspect of our team.

It's the scheme.

This is my feeling as well. In large part, it's the scheme/coaching. I've seen Orton in college, and I saw Orton on the Bears. He has the tools, but it's just sometimes he would make an ill-advised forced throw - sometimes due to being behind, and sometimes due to being pressured.

There is an old expression in sports.

"When Kyle Orton is your quaterback' date=' that means that Kyle Orton is your quarterback."

A large part of me is convinced that Denver is just very hot at the blackjack table. Hitting on 15 against a 2. Splitting tens. It's all working for them.

At some point, reality has to set in.[/quote']

You said something similar last year, when Jason had thrown few interceptions at a similar point in the season. You were right then.

Orton made some good throws without a doubt, but there was more than one occasion where he either badly overthrew his receivers, or would throw way too high to the point where not even Brandon Marshall could get it. He's a serviceable QB who is excelling with the talent he is surrounded by, but I feel that he is a product of that offensive system.

Archived