Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2007 NFL Draft...lookback

hitmandm

With Gaines Adams getting traded to the Bears for a 2nd rounder, lets look back at the 2007 draft. We drafted Landry 6th overall...one spot ahead of Adrian P. Now, we know everyone wanted a DLman. Ppl would have been up in arms if we drafted Peterson. Lets loom at the DL ppl wanted

Jamaal Anderson; 8th overall- 2 sacks in his entire career

Amobe Okoye: 10th overall- 5.5 sacks as a rookie...2.5 sacks since. But he is still 22.

Adam Carriker: 2 sacks in career. on IR in 2009

Ironically, the BPA scenario would have worked out here. I think Peterson was the BPA and drafting him over need or a safety would have been better off for us.

Food for thought as we approach a high draft pick this next draft

Very good post. You can't fit a square peg into a round hole. I know I'm guilty of wanting to try as much as anyone else.

Thanks. It is funny how the bpa thing does work a lot of times. I never did think Landry was worth 6th overall but he is still better than the DL we would have got if we didnt draft him

A running back that already has a serious knee problem?

Barring hindsight, I understand why teams passed on Adrian Peterson.

I was fine with picking Landry, specifically because of AP's questionable knee, and because none of the DLinemen looked like instant fixes.

I have no problem with the BPA draft. Most teams drafting towards the bottom of the first round do this and thus have great depth. The Ravens, Steelers, Pats, Colts, Giants, and Eagles all do this. You look at how they all let players move on (or trade them away) and yet they are able to plug holes without missing a beat. All of these teams also have a franchise QB and an amazing front office with out changing styles from year to year. One thing I have been meaning to post was our lack of direction ever since danny took over.

Norv had us as a team with an offensive focus and a soft D.

Marty switched that and had our D playing well and our O surviving.

Steve tried to bring in his O style (wide open) and the same D.

Gibbs first two years was smashmouth 80's style with a strong D and a ball control O.

His second two years he tried to go to a more open O (saunders) but never really changed the personal.

Now with Zorn we are trying to be a wco with the same QB and skill players we had as before? It makes no sense that we have such horrible direction.

I doubt AP would have anywhere near the success he is having in Minnesota if he were here. Our offensive line has been pretty bad since maybe 1999 (at least from what I can remember). Its hard to make your skill players look good when the team can't block up front.

Thanks. It is funny how the bpa thing does work a lot of times. I never did think Landry was worth 6th overall but he is still better than the DL we would have got if we didnt draft him

I doubt that, Okoye is still a dominant DT, whether he's still putting up big sack numbers or not. The others were risky picks from the get-go. Okoye was considered the most complete lineman in the draft of 07 and he's paying off.

I doubt AP would have anywhere near the success he is having in Minnesota if he were here. Our offensive line has been pretty bad since maybe 1999 (at least from what I can remember). Its hard to make your skill players look good when the team can't block up front.

I agree with this. I kinda think that having Huchinson (another player we passed on) in front of him helps a lot.

I doubt that, Okoye is still a dominant DT, whether he's still putting up big sack numbers or not. The others were risky picks from the get-go. Okoye was considered the most complete lineman in the draft of 07 and he's paying off.

Okoye isnt a dominant T. Even some sportwriters are writing him off as a bust. ESers werent going after Okoye majorly...we wanted Jamaal Andersen.

I disagree. Half the reason our OL looks bad is because JC needs 45 seconds to throw the ball. Look at Portis...his stats dont suggest a bad OL. Even last year, before the Defense figured out JC lack of ability, he was leading the nfl in rushing.

Obviously our OL is bad now losing 2 starters...but it was not always that bad. Look at the Collins run.

I definitely agree with that. Plus, Brian Orakpo is off to a pretty good start so it may work out for us in the end.

You must have a very bad memory. Our o-line with a couple of exceptions (first, because of scheme and once because of injury plus a hangover from bad coaching) was solid to great from 1999 to 2006.

What knee problem? Youre thinking Thurman Thomas. AP broke his collar bone
Well, I was confusing AP's knee problem in 2007, here, with his injury history pre-draft.

But you're right that it was his collarbone, and ankle sprains, that were the concerns when he was drafted.

Again, with an injury history, I don't blame teams passing Peterson by in the draft.

At the time I wanted to draft AP and trade CP for a draft pick. Now im not one of the CP haters on here...I love him and stick up for him most of the time. But the chance to get a young future hall of famer for an aging (in my opinion) future hall of famer made sense to me.

Going for the best player available will almost always work out. Thats why I think we should go the BPA route this year instead of drafting an olinman who isnt worthy of the pick. Although I will say that with this Samuels injury we almost have to go oline. But if a stud is there I would go with the stud. We can get solid oline in rounds 2,3,4

At the time I wanted to draft AP and trade CP for a draft pick. Now im not one of the CP haters on here...I love him and stick up for him most of the time. But the chance to get a young future hall of famer for an aging (in my opinion) future hall of famer made sense to me.

Going for the best player available will almost always work out. Thats why I think we should go the BPA route this year instead of drafting an olinman who isnt worthy of the pick. Although I will say that with this Samuels injury we almost have to go oline. But if a stud is there I would go with the stud. We can get solid oline in rounds 2,3,4

I agree BPA, BPA, BPA, especially if the BPA plays OL or DL. Hopefully the BPA this year is QB or OL, but if he is DL, we have to make that pick.

Norv had us as a team with an offensive focus and a soft D.

Marty switched that and had our D playing well and our O surviving.

Steve tried to bring in his O style (wide open) and the same D.

Gibbs first two years was smashmouth 80's style with a strong D and a ball control O.

His second two years he tried to go to a more open O (saunders) but never really changed the personal.

Now with Zorn we are trying to be a wco with the same QB and skill players we had as before? It makes no sense that we have such horrible direction.

Exactly.

This is why even if Danny were to change his free agency splash attitude and grow up as he's claimed, we still need a GM who will understand the big picture and obtain players who fit into our scheme. The Zorn hiring was so wrong not only because he was so inexperienced and was hired to be OC, but because our personnel were suited for a Gibbs style offense.

As far as Landry, I was fine with the pick, and still am. He's been having a tough year, seeming to always go for the big hit and often whiffing, and has yet to mature beyond that stage. I think he will mature, first of all, and secondly, I think he's better close to the line of scrimmage, and has been playing out of position ever since the loss of #21.

Well, I was confusing AP's knee problem in 2007, here, with his injury history pre-draft.

But you're right that it was his collarbone, and ankle sprains, that were the concerns when he was drafted.

Again, with an injury history, I don't blame teams passing Peterson by in the draft.

Yes...but to your point...ppl were questioning his ability to stay healthy. Much in the same way they are abt Bradford...who has a hurting collarbone. Hmmmm

Still think Okoye will be legit in this league. He's younger than college players and is getting amazing experience.

I dont think hes a bust, and I side wih you...but he hasnt been worth 10th overall and some in the media are calling him a bust.

Archived