Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: They've Fallen, but They're Far From the Bottom

SKiNz Jus 2 sick

i was reading this GREAT article posted by bubba and i was just thinkin that EVERY redskins fan needs to read this and just chill out

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...101402816.html

Click link for entire article

They've Fallen, but They're Far From the Bottom

By Thomas Boswell

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Redskins fans think they're suffering, and they are. Under Jim Zorn, the Redskins are 10-11 with a 4-9 skid since the middle of last season. And they've split their last four games against some of the NFL's very worst teams.

But look around: These days, that's nothing. All over the NFL, fans are screaming to fire the coach, bench the quarterback or impeach the owner. Or, preferably, do all three at once.

The facts are stunning. The Lions are on a 1-21 streak, the Rams 2-23 and the Chiefs 2-28. Such incompetence is almost unimaginable to Washington fans. There has been only one flop that bad in all of Redskins history (1-26-3 from 1959 to 61.) Yes, of the three wins by Detroit and St. Louis in their collapses, two of them have been against the Redskins. And the Chiefs are coming to FedEx Field on Sunday, hoping to join the club. Still, the Redskins' recent suffering barely registers on the current NFL scale. Well, not yet.

In a battle of ugly last Sunday, the Browns, in their 12th year of awful (61 games under .500), ended a 0-10 skid with a 6-3 win over Buffalo (one winning season in nine years). The Bills were penalized for false starts nine times. Nine. After No. 8, don't you lie and say, "We've hired a sniper. The next guy . . . "

The Buccaneers and Titans, winners last year, already have blown up their seasons with 0-5 starts. Tampa Bay is in full tear-down-and-rebuild mode.

How would you like to be a fan in Jacksonville? The Jags have been falling apart for a year and just lost 41-0 to Seattle. The Seahawks? Oh, they kind of stink, too. They had just lost 16 of 21.

The misery just keeps going. San Francisco, trying to avoid their seventh straight losing year, just got whomped 45-10 on Sunday. Saint Singetary hasn't quite healed the 49ers yet. And every fan in Texas can tell you that, over the past 13 years combined, the Cowboys are still one game under .500. Jerry Jones is to blame.

The absolutely worst team in football might be Oakland after its 44-7 loss to the Giants last week. Before halftime, New York pulled Eli Manning, partly out of pity. The 1-4 Raiders are working on their seventh straight season of 11 or more losses. In a league with a reverse-order draft, that's really hard to do.

Maybe you have to see the tens of thousands of empty seats in St. Louis and Detroit firsthand, or hear the dejected jokes about "The Bungles" in Cincinnati, where a 4-1 start hasn't made anybody forget the past 18 seasons -- one season over .500 and 85 games under .500 in all during the penurious Brown reign.

It doesn't take long for the pall to fall. All in all, Charlotte's done fine. But on Sunday, a Panthers writer told me: "At least the Redskins have won a couple of games. Everybody here wants to fire the coach, bench the quarterback. In Dallas, after they beat us, everybody still wanted to fire Wade Phillips and cuss out Jones."

On any given Monday, all over NFL America, you can hear a litany of lamentations.

Clearly, the NFL talks a better game of "parity" than it provides. While every team wants to be good, perhaps the most powerful NFL emotion these days is the terror of becoming awful. Once you're truly bad, you can stay that way a long time.

That's why Sunday's Redskins game against the Chiefs is a scary litmus test, a benchmark for bleak and a chance to find out whether the Redskins are merely a mediocre team in a slump or a franchise slipping toward the NFL depths.

There's a strong case that the Redskins are still the former, even though they're 32 games under .500 since '92 and have averaged a 7-9 record over that long, mundane period with just two playoff wins. Truly bad teams are outgained in yardage by vast amounts and are outscored heavily, too. For example, the Raiders, Browns, Chiefs, Bucs and Rams -- the teams that will probably end this season as the worst of the worst -- have been outscored by 54 to 112 points this season entering Week 6. That's what lousy looks like. Several other teams, including the Bills, Panthers and (improved) Lions also look lame by these measures.

The Redskins, whose stats have been helped (perhaps greatly) by their weak foes, have played one excellent team this year (the 5-0 Giants) and have outgained their five opponents by 95 yards and have been outscored, 73-82. That's not a bad-team profile.

The Redskins have two qualities that distinguish them from the NFL's 10 or so bad teams. First, their defense has not allowed 30 points in any game since Zorn arrived; second, Jason Campbell had never thrown more than two interceptions in any game until two weeks ago (oddly, in a win). A fine defense and a conservative quarterback will keep you in almost every game. With so many bad teams (they also visit Oakland), it should be hard to stray far from .500.

I get it, but it's the lack of any sort of improvement that's really what I find hard to take. It's also the understanding that these 2 point wins over teams like the Rams portend bad things for the future. Boswell talks about not being a cellar-dwelling team, but if they play the rest of the season like they've played the first 5 weeks, we may be looking at a 4-win team.

Thomas boswell can blow me. I dont care about other franchises. I care about this franchise, and the drastic tumbles this franchise has taken since snyder took over pretty much trumps all the rest of the teams....you gotta remember the Redskins started their fall at a much higher point.

:cheers:

Well this article speaks the truth, but it isn't a truth that is necessarily a good thing.

This franchise has been basically stuck in neutral since 2000. Whenever we seem to take a step forward, it seems we take a step back and it takes two seasons to get back to the original spot.

I have yet to see this franchise take a step forward........and then another step forward.

This article irks me.

Are we satisfied with NOT being the worst?

**** that, I want to be great.

I want Super Bowls, long playoff runs and legitimate contenders year after year.

We're not the worst? That's how losers talk. We are the once-proud franchise that now sucks donkey dick.

I'll admit, I at times get apathetic during the game because I know we're going to lose, but **** like this pisses me off.

Literally makes me furious. I have not seen a ****ing good Redskins team in my lifetime and that is bull****. I love this team, and I want something to really cheer for.

**** you Dan Snyder.

**** you.

If the redskins are going to stink this year, I hope they don't get out pushed by the other bottom teams for a top ten pick in the draft. Its enough to stink this year but to not get a really good draft pick in next year's draft would stink too.

it may look like we hit the bottom but we still have far to go now until we start looking like the raiders who have 6 11 loss seasons in a row i still see the light in this team

The Raiders weree in the SB 6 years ago as crazy as that sounds. This article is BS because this isn't about the Redskins troubles this year. This is 15 years of mediocre football finally coming home to roost.

Just wondering something. Of all the really bad teams out there that Boswell mentioned, where do they rank in terms of payroll?

I am having a difficult time finding the definitive list of NFL 2009 payroll numbers. I can find 2008 but with the Haynesworth and Hall signings I'm sure the Redskins must be near the top now.

Maybe if you pull back and look at the broader picture, Boswell is correct about the skins not being at the bottom of the barrel. Problem is, they do these bonehead moves like NOT drafting a lineman, bidding against themselves for players and eventually overpaying, bringing FA's that can't play i.e. Brandon Lloyd, Archuletta, trading away valuable draft picks, revolving door of coaches, etc., etc. Makes them look like laughing stock in terms of how the organization is run.

As for the games, we hear every year how much talent this team has, yet they rarely execute offensively and defensively have lapses when they should be dominant. Talent means nothing if the battle plan is ineffective or players make mistakes in execution. This team is a mess but I still hold out hope that somehow the ship can be righted.

This guy is smoking bowls.

Any worse than a 5-2 start and this team has no chance against the late schedule with JC starting. I figured that if we were any worse than that JC would be pulled but nope, he's still in there and we will likely be 2-5 in 2 weeks. The only reason we are in these games is our defense. Give up 30 a game like the Lions have been (except to us) and everybody would be LOLing at us.

What Boswell writes is so true, but that really doesn't make it any less painful. The Washington Redskins - just good enough to consistently create hope, and just bad enough to consistently crush it. Still, I guess it's better to have hope at the beginning of the season, rather than KNOWING in Week 1 that your team is going to stink it up (looking at you, Raiders). Is it better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all?

This article irks me.

Are we satisfied with NOT being the worst?

**** that, I want to be great.

I want Super Bowls, long playoff runs and legitimate contenders year after year.

We're not the worst? That's how losers talk. We are the once-proud franchise that now sucks donkey dick.

I'll admit, I at times get apathetic during the game because I know we're going to lose, but **** like this pisses me off.

Literally makes me furious. I have not seen a ****ing good Redskins team in my lifetime and that is bull****. I love this team, and I want something to really cheer for.

**** you Dan Snyder.

**** you.

:laugh:

I agree, I keep seeing people say, "all Dan really cares about is our money". Really?? Can someone answer this question for me, if this is true, why are we cheering for a team that will never be good and all the owner cares about is money?

This reminds me of when I would C's on tests and tell my dad that lots of people got C's. "Do you want to be the one that gets lump together with the rest of the average kids or do you want to stand out?"

This article sends a bad message to people that are built up with hope every off-season.

It's Boswell -- he'll write a completely different article in a couple of weeks when the Skins are getting their teeth kicked in by Atlanta, New Orleans, Philly and New York.

We are the WASHINGTON REDSKINS!!!!

We're not the Raiders who last won a championship in 84' or the Chiefs who won in 6o's. We're not the Browns, Bengals, or Lions who've never won a championship or former expansion teams Jacksonville and Carolina who's fans have enjoyed playoff success that satisfies their current thirst for blood. Now we understand that everyone cant be good all the time but being great sometimes is better than being bad or mediocre all the time. St. Louis won a SB just ten years ago and went back the very next year. Carolina has been to the SB in the last decade. Tampa Bay won a Championship in 2002', like someone mentioned earlier even the Raiders have been to the SB within the last decade. They have recent success to hang their hats on but we don't. Even the Cowboys were 13-3 two years ago. Philly has never won a championship but they constantly make moves to keep their team a major contender on offense and defense and went to the SB in 05'. Fans can respect that , fans can respect teams and organizations like that. And the Redskins fans have accepted mediocrity for almost 20 yrs now far to long for a proud franchise like ours.

Many of us either grew up or lived in our primes watching playoff teams and Super Bowl contenders and winners EVERY YEAR. So how do you expect fans to react when they are used to a winning tradition and their team gives them nothing?? If the Patriots or Colts go through the next 15 years of losing or mediocrity their fans will react the same way because they are used to winning every year now!

Archived