Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 3 Year Plan

method man

Year 1:

Hire a young hungry personnel man as our GM. We need a guy who has adapted to the way talent is now acquired; we need someone who is really understanding some of the trends in the league in terms of FA and the draft. To be honest, we have this guy in house and his name is Morocco Brown.

We need to hire a hungry up-and-comer who is committed to the 3-year plan. We need someone who can control the locker room through the tough times and great times. I believe Shanahan and Gruden all have too big of an ego and will try to go for the quick fix in season 1. I like Holmgrem more (as long as he does not also demand to be GM) but how much more does he have in him? I feel the ideal guy for this role is Ron Rivera, who is the DC of the Chargers. He is a former player who was the DC of a Super Bowl team (the Bears), a guy who the players have the utmost respect for, and someone who is known for his "quiet strength" (which Tony Dungy also possessed). I want this coach to just focus on being the head coach and leave all the other roles to other people. With assistance from our GM, I want him to be completely on board with whoever we hire. I want him to think about promoting stars within our organization such as Kirk Olivadotti, who could be the DC.

If we are indeed lucky and the following year is uncapped, then we should look to dump all the bloated contract old washed up veterans from this team. I would let Portis, Sellers, Betts, Thomas, Rabach, Randle El, Daniels, Carter (maybe if he can have a 10-sack year we could trade him for a pick), Griffin, and Smoot all go. I would also look to see if I could trade Santana Moss for a 2nd rd pick, Campbell for a 6th rd pick (he will be a RFA if we have an uncapped year), and even Landry for a 2nd or 3rd if we are confident that Horton or Moore could start at free safety.

With all of these picks, I would look to start building the infrastructure around a young quarterback. I would avoid free agency (except for a couple cheap vets like special teamers) this offseason, because all of the young talented guys will be restricted free agents due to the uncapped year.

In the draft, if we do manage to trade Moss, Landry, and Campbell, I would look to use those picks to try to get as many picks in the top 50 as I possibly can. This draft, luckily for us, is deep in OTs and DTs and I am confident we could pick up our LT of the future late in the first round or early in the 2nd round. If we can also pick up a MLB of the future (who can also play SLB until Fletch retires), that would be great as well. If we have another top 50 pick, I would try to get yet another tackle but this one who is different from the first tackle (so if pick 1 is known more for pass protection, I would use pick 2 on a potential mauler). In Day 2 of the draft, we would potentially have 4 picks but we can use those picks on Day 2 to continue dropping in the draft and pick up more picks (ie trade a 4th to a team for 2 5th's). I would then try to use these picks to pick up any mix of guards, centers, running backs, and a slot receiver (a guy who is going to drop because he didn't run a superfast 40 but someone who is very quick).

At this point, our D should be fairly set and I would even think that we would have the potential to have a top 10 D next season. Our offense would obviously be a work in progress, but we would have a bunch of young talented guys competing at the skill spots (if guys don't pan out then we can just use some of our higher picks in 2011 to pick up the talent we need) and we would seriously upgrade our OL as well.

Also re-sign Rocky McIntosh and Carlos Rogers to long-term REASONABLE deals.

Year 2:

With the talent around him all set, I think this would be the year to land the franchise signal-caller. Whether we do it by trade or through the draft (more preferable), we need to focus on a young guy who displays (more importantly than the physical tools) great mechanics and has pro-style offense experience.

This year, we should exepct to make a playoff push, but we are not quite contenders yet because our rookie QB will have his share of errors.

Also, this year we should use the draft to continue to add to the OLine, DLine, and some of the necessary skill players (the GM should remember that good backs can be found late and a great OLine can make a good back look great).

Year 3:

This is the year! We make our championship run with a fairly young team. Fill whatever holes we have with unheralded talented free agents who are signed to reasonable deals, cheap veteran FAs who can still play, and use the draft once again to continue to pump in depth. Ideally, I'd want most of my depth to consist of talented young guys who are waiting for their chance to start one day.

you couldn't even get a 2nd round pick for Moss...why would you want to trade him anyway??? He is a great #2 receiver...we just need a #1 to lineup on the other side.

I'm all about trading Laundry...but don't think we'd get much for him....he sucks!!!

I don't think we need to blow up this team and rebuild....we just need about three new starting Olineman!

We also need to put Orakpo at his natural position, RE.

We can only hope that we can have a guy in control that takes this long-term approach. I completely agree with you to go for an upcoming, motivating type coach.

Unfortunately, the only thing I see how Snyder could step off his grip on the team's decisions is with a guy who already has a lengthy resume. Hence all the speculation for Shanahan, Holmgren, and Cowher. We do need a longer plan and not just focus on a fix from a coach that'll only stay around for 3-4 years max. Or at least try to have some key assistants on that staff that could carry on with stability.

The same also goes with something like Morocco Brown. Will Snyder respect him (or any other GM that might be brought in)?

The other factor is the marketability, which Snyder always values. Yes, I'm not as cynical as some who feel that he cares more about the bottom-line than winning, but it is directly related in his head. He gets big names (Sanders, Smith, Spurrier, Trotter, Gibbs, Portis, Hall, Haynesworth, etc.) to get more fans in the seats and buying merchandise. The makeup of the team is filled with patches of highly-paid vets due to our limited draft picks and unbalanced salary cap. As mentioned plenty of times by those anonymous NFL sources, our depth has suffered and we're faced with a team that's better on paper than on the field.

The complete restructuring of the team under a new management is something that I don't think Snyder believes in after 10 years as an owner. Now, will he change his mind? Who knows? He's seemingly tried everything else to win offseason championships.

you couldn't even get a 2nd round pick for Moss...why would you want to trade him anyway??? He is a great #2 receiver...we just need a #1 to lineup on the other side.

I'm all about trading Laundry...but don't think we'd get much for him....he sucks!!!

I don't think we need to blow up this team and rebuild....we just need about three new starting Olineman!

Because by the time we are good, Moss may no longer be. If we are smart, we will trade him before this trade deadline. I am confident that one of these contenders w/o an elite receiver would love to have him (ex. SF, Minny, Chicago [if they have a 2nd, I am sure would get it]).

Most quarterbacks will probably come out this year in fear of a rookie pay scale in the 2011 draft. Personnel wise, we need 3 offensive linemen, a quarterback, and a running back.

I'm not so sure. The guys in the college ranks I am interested in are Jake Locker, Jimmy Clausen, and Ryan Mallet. I could see Locker coming out this year with the excellent campaign he is having and I could also see Clausen coming out, but I see Ryan Mallet staying at least one more year in college.

I'm not down with gutting the team. I think that all we need to do is stop going after free agents, cutting expensive unproductive players, and start drafting. After two to three years of solid drafting and letting free agents go, we'll be a young team on the rise. Of course, this all requires a brilliant GM not named Daniel Snyder or Vincent Cerrato.

Seriously, how ****ing hard is it to see that when he plays RE he gets pressure and sacks and when he's a LB he gives up Touchdowns? WTF? Let him play his natural position!!!!

I hate this team. The offense sucks. We have Cooley, DT, Kelly, Mason, and Mitchell. Outside of them I don't like one single player anymore.

Did you guys see Moss fumble after his first down catch and Cooley jumped on it? Cooley got up and did the Santana first down motion. I can't stand Moss either anymore. Let Mason start at RB.

This team has been in need of a serious overhaul for the past decade but all we get is the same nonsense every year.

Change for this team all starts with Snyders realization that he need to remove himself from the decision making process. Before that happens things aren't going to improve.

I agree with everything you have said. But I feel that we can keep Portis for another year or two in a diminished role. The guy has been here through the thick and the thin and he is a true redskin. Id like to see him as our kevin faulk. Campbell could be kept for one more year until the next draft where we pick up a qb. As much as i dont want to trade moss away, your reasoning for doing so is sound.

Alas, we all know this wont happen. If/when shannahan is hired, the win-now approach will be in full effect (again). Our team will still have no direction. I would like to see Russ Grimm in here over anyone else. He has ties to the area, and im sure Gibbs will be behind this hire. The guy has been with two superbowl teams now in the past 4 years. I think he has seen the blueprints for success: controlling the offensive and defensive line.

I agree with everything you have said. But I feel that we can keep Portis for another year or two in a diminished role. The guy has been here through the thick and the thin and he is a true redskin. Id like to see him as our kevin faulk. Campbell could be kept for one more year until the next draft where we pick up a qb. As much as i dont want to trade moss away' date=' your reasoning for doing so is sound.

Alas, we all know this wont happen. If/when shannahan is hired, the win-now approach will be in full effect (again). Our team will still have no direction. I would like to see Russ Grimm in here over anyone else. He has ties to the area, and im sure Gibbs will be behind this hire. The guy has been with two superbowl teams now in the past 4 years. I think he has seen the blueprints for success: controlling the offensive and defensive line.[/quote']

Letting Portis and Campbell go signals to the fans and the team that it is the beginning of a new era. Plus, Portis is one of the highest paid players on the team and he is not worth that money anymore.

The only old players I support keeping are Chris Samuels and London Fletcher, because they are still studs and they are the team's biggest leaders on their sides of the ball. We do need to keep around some veterans and these are ideal guys for young guys to look up to.

At the QB position, I'd honestly rather sign Daunte Culpepper to a short deal. Besides the fact that he seems to be having something of a career resurgence right now (he's definitely playing his best football since his Minnesota days), he would be a nice stopgap and would be a good person for our QB of the future to learn from, considering he was once a guy who threw 40 TD passes in a season.

I'm personally in favor of just having young guys fight it out at different positions on this team. For example, at RB, I'd love to have Mason and whoever we draft fight it out for the starting spot. At WR, I'd love to see Mitchell, Thomas, and Kelly all compete with the new slot guy we draft for the starting roles on the team (I would love to sign an old washed up cheap vet here too to be our #5 guy as someone for the young guys to learn from).

In general, I like your plan, but in reality, I don't think its workable:

1) No decent coach is coming to DC and blowing up the team without being the GM, or choosing the GM.

2) I don't think you get higher than a #3 for Moss and a #3 for Landry. The only person on the team that would get a #2 is Cooley.

3) If you dump Portis, Sellers, Betts, Thomas, Rabach, and Randle El and trade Moss, you'd better look for an interim QB with a really good sense of humor. That will leave the Skins with Samuels, Dockery and Cooley as the only NFL quality talent on the offense. You need enough talent for the QB to survive.

4) Its really hard to load up on #5, 6 and 7s and make a team. Teams that do well in the late rounds are generally already good, like NE, and can afford to take some chances and develop the late round picks. The Skins can't develop their #2 picks. In year 1, the Skins will need starters at 2 OL positions (and they'd still be stuck with Heyer), RB and 2WRs (unless you believe Kelly or Thomas is NFL quality) under your plan. Its not likely to happen.

Whatever the method is, we know it can be done in 1 or 2 years. Look at the Jets and Broncos for proof.

We are in more dire straits then them though. In our rebuilding, we are going to have to dump a significant number of these older ineffective players and because most free agents this year are going to be RFAs, we are going to have to rely almost solely on the draft to fill these holds. We have holes at QB, RB, 3/5ths of the starting OLine, DT (we need to get a good player next to Haynesworth), and SLB (Orakpo will be moved to RE, most probably). Furthermore, because we have some of the worst depth in the league, we need some time to fix that.

In reality, my plan is a 2-year plan to be competitive. Heck, if we follow my plan, it is possible we could be competitive next season because of the quality of our D. To be realistic, though, with all the repairs we have to do on the offensive line, I don't quite see that happening.

In general, I like your plan, but in reality, I don't think its workable:

1) No decent coach is coming to DC and blowing up the team without being the GM, or choosing the GM.

2) I don't think you get higher than a #3 for Moss and a #3 for Landry. The only person on the team that would get a #2 is Cooley.

3) If you dump Portis, Sellers, Betts, Thomas, Rabach, and Randle El and trade Moss, you'd better look for an interim QB with a really good sense of humor. That will leave the Skins with Samuels, Dockery and Cooley as the only NFL quality talent on the offense. You need enough talent for the QB to survive.

4) Its really hard to load up on #5, 6 and 7s and make a team. Teams that do well in the late rounds are generally already good, like NE, and can afford to take some chances and develop the late round picks. The Skins can't develop their #2 picks. In year 1, the Skins will need starters at 2 OL positions (and they'd still be stuck with Heyer), RB and 2WRs (unless you believe Kelly or Thomas is NFL quality) under your plan. Its not likely to happen.

I disagree with you.

1) I believe that if we can get a personnel man with total control over player decisions as our GM, especially one with a sterling reputation around the league as either an up-and-comer or an established guy, I think it would legitimize the HC job here. With Holmgrem, Shanahan, Gruden, and Cowher all on the market, they are the top candidates for other teams. So, while the other teams are pursuing those guys, we should make guys like Ron Rivera or Todd Bowles (a former Skin who is being groomed by Parcells in Miami) our top targets. I'm pretty confident Bowles would love the chance to come back to the team he spent most of his playing career with and enjoyed great success with.

2) I disagree with you on Moss, especially if we can trade him before this season's trade deadline. I really disagree with you if you are telling me the 9ers wouldn't be willing to give up a #2 right now for him after what happened today against the Falcons. There are contenders out there who need a #1 WR (Baltimore, SF, maybe Minny) and someone of Moss's caliber and are willing to pay. I wouldn't move Cooley because that guy is in the prime of his career, is young, and is someone who is a good representative of the team. I think we may have harder time trading Landry, because teams generally aren't willing to pay a lot for them, but if he can step it up the rest of the season, a #2 does become a possibility.

3) Again, I disagree with you. On the topic of Portis and Betts, these two guys are now dime-a-dozen backs. Heck, we already have a guy who is not that much worse than those two named Marcus Mason. I bet if we took a LeGarrette Blount in the 5th round, he'd be more effective than Portis or Betts next season. On Sellers, he is a guy who got paid and does not have the desire anymore. Fullbacks are easy to find as well and many of the top fullbacks are undrafted. In fact, we took a fullback last year in Eddie Williams. I would be interested to see if we could make him the starter next year. Odds are he'd play better than Sellers. On Rabach, Edwin Williams is being groomed to replace him. I think they are giving him this season to learn the position and next season he will take over. Remember that this guy was ranked the #6 or 7 center in the deepest center class in NFL history. The guy is going to be solid if we do decide to start him. Thomas is done. Randle El is overpaid, especially considering that you can find a Julian Edelman or Johnny Knox in UDFA or late in Day 2. Also, I'm pretty confident that if we offered the starting job to Daunte Culpepper, who is showing after a season of hard work that he is returning to form, he would take it.

4) This draft is going to be one of the deepest in NFL history because several underclassmen are going to try to come out to cash in with this potentially being the last CBA with high salaries. I feel that, at the minimum, you can use your Day 2 picks to acquire quality depth, which guys like Blades, Golston, Horton, Moore, and Mitchell all provide. All the analysts agree that one of our biggest problems is our depth and we could use more talented guys than D'Anthony Batiste.

i love your plan method man. i have been dying to see what guys like morocco brown and scott campbell could build if given the power to do so. unfortunately i dont think you will ever see either of those guys in that capacity with the skins. i just dont think that snyder will give up the power.

imo what this team needs is to rebuild the offensive line, like yesterday. if vinny would decide that we need the best offensive lineman versus the best tight end on the board :D we could have a decent line by next season. i pray that we would have a draft like the jags who drafted a left tackle and a right tackle in the first and second rounds. i love samuels but i think that at this point he needs to be a mentor to young guys and a spot starter. not only that but we need to get younger and better at the center and right guard positions.

edit: method i dont agree with you that we can get a 2nd round pick for moss. keep in mind that randy moss, one of the best receivers in the entire league, went for a 4th rounder. i think that a trade like that will set the bar for the future.

Well, like most of these, "What I Would Do" threads, most are so far from reality it ain't funny. But, WTF, I'm pissed too, so I'll play.

I assume, since it wasn't stated otherwise, that our "3 Year" plans, start today. Week 5 of an ongoing season.

Review game tape to determine what actually happened. Learn all you can from it, then put it in a box, and stack it in the "history" section.

Work as hard as we can to get ready for the next opponent. Try to get everything that we can out of what we've got.

At the end of the season, reassess, based on where we are, then.

Thoughts for this upcoming week:

If nobody else we currently have on the roster can do a better job at SAM than Orakpo, we have to stick with it.

Marcus Mason is currently a waste of an active roster spot on gameday. Every swingin' dick on the O-line, and D-line that can be active on gameday, should be. Unless an injury occurs, Portis, Betts, and Cartwright should be the only active RB's on Sunday.

That is all, for now.

Archived