Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Latest News: Mike Florio and O'Halloran on "Crazy Circus" (Blache, Lewis, Gray, Zorn)

Reaganaut

Zorn was credited with turning Hasselbeck into a Pro Bowl QB in Seattle. They were obviously hoping he could do the same thing to Campbell. Combine that with the craze of hiring young and hungry head coaches and you have the two biggest reasons why Zorn and Vinny loved the guy.

Everyone is searching for the next Mike Tomlin, what they don't know is that he is probably the exception, not the rule.

edit: Then again, we do have Harbaugh doing quite well just 30 miles east.

Sure I understand the QB thing and I believe he did make campbell into a better QB. Not a probowl Qb but good enough to do some good things.

They hired Zorn as the OC and not the head coach. They couldn't find anyone that would take the job, anyone good that is, and knowing he's a rookie at both play-calling and being a head coach, they don't give him even two full seasons to prove himself.

I'm sorry but redskins don't deserve this

Zorn has produced only 3 games out of 20 with 3 TDs.

In 10 out of 20 games, the offense has produced one TD or less. And this hasn't been when going against the '76 Steel Curtain, either - there have been some pretty abysmal defenses that this offense has just struggled mightily against. Zorn the strategist, Zorn the playcaller, and/or Zorn the player manager has failed pretty badly. There really isn't much for him to hang his hat on.

He has to change something. He can't just keep banging his head against the wall and think that he's going to get different results.

I think his #1 issue is that he is still too concerned with being the QB coach, above all else. The head coach shouldn't get too involved at the position level - there really needs to be a certain amount of distance between the HC and his players in order for the HC to conduct his duties with the necessary detachment.

If Zorn is refusing to alter anything (and this is a guy with no track record of success to hang his hat on), then it is clear that he has to go. This would be the difference between Zorn and Gibbs - in '81, Gibbs recognized (early) that his approach was not working effectively and he needed to toss his ego aside and do things differently. And Gibbs reinvented his team several times during his first tenure. The results speak for themselves.

Now, maybe Zorn is doing quite a bit differently than he was last season - I really can't speak to that. I do know that the end result - a dormant offense - is distressingly similar.

If Blache does take over, that would be a signal to me that he is in agreement that Zorn is not hacking it. STRONGLY in agreement. He doesn't seem the disloyal type to me.

EDIT: my 5,000th post. Only took me 8 years :).

I don't know the man, but my perception of Blache is that he'd be more likely to fall on his sword than secretly know he's going to be replacing the head coach in 3 weeks.

My conspiracy theory is that Blache has tied himself to Zorn. I think he is perfectly fine being out of football (since he was ready to retire after 2007) and is ready to step down if Zorn is fired. Feeling an obligation to both his employer and players, he's getting Gray up to speed in order to take over the defense.

So, in my mind, I see the staff looking like this after the bye:

Bugel - Interim Head Coach

Lewis - Offensive Coordinator

Gray - Defensive Coordinator

I believe that Bugel feels more loyalty to the Redskins than any one coach and would accept this job as his swan song. Also, realistically speaking, Lewis and Gray give Snyder two "Rooney Rule" candidates to interview in January before finding the coach he truly wants for 2010 and beyond.

The media is really starving for some good ol skins coach blood. It really is sickening.

exactly

every move from Redskin Park has become some sign of disaster

IMO Blache worked with Lewis and now under Zorn, it doesn't take much sense to figure out he was the man in the middle, and would be the target of the media trying to get dirt on either man and the media would be trying to make more out his words than there is

http://realredskins.com/2009/10/is-blache-burned-out.html

Update: At 5:21, Ryan O’Halloran reported that he had just seen Blache getting into his car and leaving the facility. Barring some sort of illness or a personal emergency–certainly possibilities–working Spurrier-like hours is not a good sign.

See my post above...I think he's counting the days until he can step down.

http://realredskins.com/2009/10/is-blache-burned-out.html

Update: At 5:21, Ryan O’Halloran reported that he had just seen Blache getting into his car and leaving the facility. Barring some sort of illness or a personal emergency–certainly possibilities–working Spurrier-like hours is not a good sign.

I had already posted an update to the OP on this. :D

Football is there to thrill and entertain us. So, while many organizations provide their ups and downs on the field, the Redskins give us entertainment with soap opera-like situations and drama.

I guess the bottom line is, it's an entertainment business and Snyder is not disappointing.

Note: This is tongue-in-cheek, so don't bash me.

I am soooooooo sick of the media and their Redskins bashing. GB decided he doesn't want to talk to them any more so they have to start a bunch of **** because their feelings are hurt and they feel shunned. Boo Hoo! Get over it! I don't blame GB or any of the coaches for not wanting to talk to the media the way the media has been treating them. All they want is a story and now they've got it and THEY are the ones causing a circus. I'm to the point now where I don't read the paper (print or internet), I don't watch their news and I guess I'm going to have to stop listening to sportstalk too because I can't stand them any more.

I am soooooooo sick of the media and their Redskins bashing. GB decided he doesn't want to talk to them any more so they have to start a bunch of **** because their feelings are hurt and they feel shunned. Boo Hoo! Get over it! I don't blame GB or any of the coaches for not wanting to talk to the media the way the media has been treating them. All they want is a story and now they've got it and THEY are the ones causing a circus. I'm to the point now where I don't read the paper (print or internet), I don't watch their news and I guess I'm going to have to stop listening to sportstalk too because I can't stand them any more.

This type of thing doesn't happen with other teams apparently. The Skins are unusual in how secretive they are and how they shun the media.

I think Blache probably felt bad for "betraying" Gregg Williams last time. At least that's how Williams apparently saw it.

I'm not saying Blache did anything wrong. But he's a good man, I think. And I think the heat he got from Williams had to have made him feel at least a little guilty.

Maybe he's making up for it by being loyal to Zorn and going down on that ship this time. Which is why Gray needs to step as DC when Zorn gets fired.

Is this Melrose place or a professional football team? Seriously, this team needs to have their own soap opera on the WB. What a joke

Question: What did the team do to create this "circus?" They hired Sherman Lewis as a consultant and they got permission from the league to allow Greg Blache to delegate his media presentation to Jerry Gray.

To me, that's worth about two paragraphs of commentary.

This type of thing doesn't happen with other teams apparently. The Skins are unusual in how secretive they are and how they shun the media.

If it doesn't happen with other teams then I would speculate it's because other teams aren't scrutinized by the media like this team is.

If it doesn't happen with other teams then I would speculate it's because other teams aren't scrutinized by the media like this team is.

Then you've never lived in any city outside of DC. Try going to Ohio and read what the local media has to say about Mangini or the Bengals ownership. Fan and local media backlash is every where. This team isn't unique to it. Heck, we have it easier than most teams.

Snyder + Zorn this year = Kiffin + Al Davis last year

Kiffin was supposed to be Davis' genius find but it ended up as a disaster. Zorn was supposed to be Danny's genius find but yeah, we see where that's going.

Archived