Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Didn't Vinny say he should be judged by the Zorn hire?

Hooper

I've a feeling that Snyder will be willing to hand over the most control since Gibbs came back to the next, proven HC that takes over when Zorn finally gets the boot. (Be it Shanahan, Cowher or whomever.).

Not to condone his previous mistakes, of which there have been many; but I think the owner is totally exasperated as the next man after another summer of major spending leading to little, and is ready to do whatever it takes to build this thing the way it should be.

I may be reaching and hoping that's where he's at, but if he is, that's some acceptance of accountability right?

Hail.

I in no way am on the snyder bandwagon or anything, but I can't help but feel a wee bit optimistic and tend to agree with the above poster. If snyder truly was a skins fan like it's been rumored, and appreciates the history of the orginization he'll let the next HC run with it. I mean, he's been great as far as willing to spend the money on the players. Now if we can just be sure to get the right players that will gel in our system. Next year being uncapped, curious to see how much money gets dumped into this program. Be ready to have your minds blown. I can just picture a 250 million dollar roster

I like your optimism guys but I still have huge doubts. I think Snyder will always keep on interfering in the decision making process.

Did he learned that championships are won through drafts and signing free agents who fit into your system ? No

Did he stopped signing overpriced aging veterans ? No

He re-hired Cerrato while no other team wanted him, Cerrato even said : "I believe we have learned from 2000 about signing older players to long contracts". Finally Snyder gave him a promotion !!! :doh:

So far I didn't see any reliable sign of change.

Snyder named Cerrato the Exec VP of football operations during the last coaching hire after Gibbs left due to the increased responsibility. When rumors started circling about Fassel taking over as HC it was also noted than Fassel who was the one who recommended Zorn as an O/C hire. Danny notes the fan backlash most notably on E/S and retreats from his position and removes Fassel from consideration only to nominate a 1st time O/C with zero playcalling experience to the HC role.

Do I blame Vinny? No he is weak weak man whose only chance to staying in the NFL is to be Dan Snyder's fall guy. Snyder is the problem cause he can't allow himself to accept the fact that he is way above his head when it comes to running a Pro football franchise and short of the Gibbs which was a no brainer would have lost this fanbase a long long time ago.

Vinny sucks but Dan is the problem, the only way this team betters is culture is for the midget to step off and allow this team to be run by someone with some recent success in GM'ing a team.

I've read that it was Vinny's decision to bring in Lewis as well. He's obviously trying to correct something with that move.

I'm gonna be honest, even if I get bashed... as long as he keeps using the draft as he has been doing in the last two years, then I'm alright with the guy under one condition... he needs to start showing some importance to drafting offensive linemen.

Looking for the exact quote. Maybe someone will beat me to it.

Clearly he's not going to be judged.

No accountability, folks.

And that's why the same mistakes keep being made.

What's your point? Have YOU decided Jim Zorn was a bad hire? I haven't. The jury is still out.

Now lets see how our offensive consultant works out

15. Please maintain respectable size signatures within the limitations set herein.

Maintaining reasonable size signatures minimizes the amount of load time needed to access a given page. Furthermore, it reduces the amount of excessive scrolling required of users perusing threads. Signatures should not exceed 550 pixels in width and 200 pixels in height. These dimensions are not a guideline, they are a rule. It is the standard dimension for the entire signature size a member can use. Regardless of the quantity of photos posted, the sum area of all the photos must not exceed the stated size limitations. In addition, signatures should not contain any more than 10 lines of text. The sum total of the height (ie. 200 pixels) INCLUDES text or any combination of images and text.

An example of a maximum sized sig is provided below:

examplek.jpg

Snyder wants to do three things. He wants to make money. Nothing wrong with that, we live in a capitalistic society. He also wants to win. Anyone who thinks that Snyder doesn't want to win and is doing everything in his power is silly. Wins = happiness. Wins = more money. The third thing he wants to do is HE wants to be a winner. Therein lies a problem, but it doesn't have to be.

I do remember it being said that Vinny was now the guy and if he failed he would bare the blame. I don't think Cerrato survives another house cleaning.

I in no way am on the snyder bandwagon or anything, but I can't help but feel a wee bit optimistic and tend to agree with the above poster. If snyder truly was a skins fan like it's been rumored, and appreciates the history of the orginization he'll let the next HC run with it. I mean, he's been great as far as willing to spend the money on the players. Now if we can just be sure to get the right players that will gel in our system. Next year being uncapped, curious to see how much money gets dumped into this program. Be ready to have your minds blown. I can just picture a 250 million dollar roster

...and a 7-9 record.

I've a feeling that Snyder will be willing to hand over the most control since Gibbs came back to the next, proven HC that takes over when Zorn finally gets the boot. (Be it Shanahan, Cowher or whomever.).

Not to condone his previous mistakes, of which there have been many; but I think the owner is totally exasperated as the next man after another summer of major spending leading to little, and is ready to do whatever it takes to build this thing the way it should be.

I may be reaching and hoping that's where he's at, but if he is, that's some acceptance of accountability right?

I truly admire you guys' glass half-full view and wish I could feel the same way. Sadly, it's probably nothing more than misplaced optimism. None of the established head coaches that Napoleon might bring in have a good track record when it comes to personnel. In fact, the whole HC as GM model has rarely, if ever worked out.

So sure, bringing in Shanny, Cowher, Gruden or whomever would get us a bit more well managed team behind the scenes and more competently called game on Sundays. However I doubt it will be enough to get us deep into the paloffs without also overhauling the F.O. We desperately need a football guy to make personnel decisions and establish an overarching strategy/personality for the team. Without that, anything else amounts to little more than window dressing.

What's your point? Have YOU decided Jim Zorn was a bad hire? I haven't. The jury is still out.
Oh you didn't read? A 500 coach through 20 games is considered to be one of the worst head coaching decisions in the history of the NFL. I read it on the internet somewhere

Great responses.

It's still early. I have been a vocal critic of Zorn's, but I also know it's still early. I'm disappointed in some of his adjustments this year (especially the Giants game), but TB was finally good.

It looks like Dan is finally chomping at the bit though. If true, in this kind of environment, most coaches would have been doomed to failure in their first gig. I guess we'll see.

I preach patience with Zorn, but he has to be a bit more creative (similar to what we saw in the second half of Tampa).

I want to mention that we will need some day a General Manager who is independent of the head coach similar to the Joe Gibbs/Bobby Beathard days. We can't have Holmgren or Shanahan or Cowher running the coaching duties and the general manager duties at the same time. Just like now it is too much for Zorn to be the head coach, playcaller, cheerleader, etc. Its hard to know what Stump Mitchell and the other offensive coach in the booth are really doing now. Vinny is bringing in the new guy because he thinks that will move the spotlight away from him with most fans. It won't with many of us.

Yes, the hiring of Jim Zorm was a bad hire, he was brought in to implement his offensive expertize and establish a WCO offense...but how we have to bring in a 'consultant' to help him out because he can't do it. That sounds like a bad hire to me. The hiring of a 'consultant' weakens his authority and really damages his credibility. He's gone at the end of the season.

I'm not convinced that the chain of command in place can't be corrected by the simple removal of the top tier (namely Mr. Snyder.) I am not arguing that he sell the team, but simply demote himself to head check writer. No heirarchy can function when the lower ranks have direct access to the top. If your head coach says one thing and the player can directly appeal to his buddy the owner, the coach no longer has the authority to truly lead the team.

I don't think Cerrato survives another house cleaning.

I really, really hope this is how it works out. I don't care so much as to whether we run a WCO or a version of it or whatever. But it is clear, that Vinny does not have enough credibility to over ride Snyder, either that or he lacks the ability himself to assemble a competent staff and properly scout talent. I'll give Vinny credit for a few of the later round picks he's hit on, but i don't think that means another GM could not come in here and do the same thing.

Not my point at all.

My point is Vinny was when Zorn was originally hired, Vinny said it was his hire and that he should be judged by it.

Meaning if Zorn gets fired, Vinny should too.

Clearly that's not going to be the case.

I want Zorn to succeed. There are only three or four worse coaching jobs than the Skins right now. You are under huge pressure from day one and you have a front office that spends but far from wisely. Heck, last time around head coaching candidates weren't allowed to pick their own staff or quarterback. How is that a recipe for success?

Archived