Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I have found my Redskins freedom

DCsportsfan53

After 10 years of watching the Snyder Redskins bumble around the field and make the same management mistakes over and over again I am finally at peace. I've finally, finally managed to divorce myself from expectation and hope. Danny has completely broken my football spirit. I see the light now, I accept that run as we currently are, the best one can hope for is occassionally lucking into a wilcard birth. Sustained success is a logicial impossibility. I tried this approach at the Bucs game this past weekend and it went great. I shook my head and laughed and said to myself, "that's our dysfunctional, lovable losers" when we screwed a play up, clapped in surprise when we made a play. It feels great.

When you finally understand that wins and losses don't have to matter, that they're less important to the owner than doing it his way and under his control, when you accept that Danny is going to run this team the way he wants and won't allow us the opportunity to be a quality organization, it sets you free. For me, I'm at the place where I watch every game and cheer on our boys without letting it leave my mind who we are, what our true identity is. I've also decided, rather practically and without emotion, that I work too hard for my money to spend my money on an organization that denys itself the chance for anything beyond mediocrity. As such, unless a real GM who has total and complete roster control emerges, I won't be renewing my season tickets or buying anymore merchandise. My money will go to Caps tickets instead. I'm not mad about it, I just don't want to support the insanity of it all. I don't want to support a team that refuses to build for the future and, most importantly, refuses to show they're a quality, well run organization that won't shoot itself in the foot at every level possible.

So, if you dare, fall in love with next offseason's high profile coach and free agent acquistions. He'll over come the lack of a GM, honest, this guy's the one. Besides, as always, we truly are only one player away. Or turn to your practical side, free yourself of expectations and dissapointment and enjoy the games because that's our team playing and nothing more. The truth will set you free my friends.

I came to this conclusion at the same time. I'm done buying into the nonsense of being a sustainable contending team. We'll never be one.

I actually was helped to this conclusion reading the far-out posts on this board of people who think we should be like the Steelers, or the Patriots, or the Eagles (some of the best managed football teams in the NFL). I read those posts and thought to myself "What gives them the idea we're anything like those teams?" Then I came to the same realization you're talking about.

We'll never be a consistent contender with this owner doing it like he wants, and not in the proven way to build a winner. He wants it his way, and he'll destroy the team's chances to be a consistent contender to have it his way. So be it.

*I think the Joe Gibbs II era kind of fooled me into it being possible. The move to understanding the importance of the draft better also gave me hope. But I don't think our talent evaluation has improved. I think our FO is still dysfunctional, and I think our product on the field is flawed in many ways from top to bottom. We've made progress over the last 10 years in our FO's mindset (Cerratto himself has admitted Bruce Smith and Deion were huge mistakes of his), but it's just too slow and painful, and his continued insistence on the greatness of his board continues to disturb me. I don't see the greatness of his player ratings board on the only place it matters... on the field.

I feel the same way. While watching the game yesterday I never got mad. It kind of surprised me, I just laughed every time we screwed up. Like when Campbell fumbled on the first drive I just laughed my girl friend was like what the **** is wrong with you. I said nothing just watching this funny movie on TV.

Wow! My sentiments exactly. I was watching Aaron Rodgers last night and he looked great- but no supporting cast on either line and a porous defense- so let's get this guy and guess what- we are still 2 and 2, like Dallas.

Hey, we all say the same thing every year don't we.

Personally, this is a first for me. I think it would've come sooner if not for being blindled by love for Joe Gibbs. It's a long time coming but reality has finally set in and honestly, despite what it means for our team, it feels great. It feels great not to worry about what Monday's will feel like.

14-2 here we come!

Get the Kool-aid back in you ;)

:hysterical:

I came to this conclusion at the same time. I'm done buying into the nonsense of being a sustainable contending team. We'll never be one.

I actually was helped to this conclusion reading the far-out posts on this board of people who think we should be like the Steelers, or the Patriots, or the Eagles (some of the best managed football teams in the NFL). I read those posts and thought to myself "What gives them the idea we're anything like those teams?" Then I came to the same realization you're talking about.

We'll never be a consistent contender with this owner doing it like he wants, and not in the proven way to build a winner. He wants it his way, and he'll destroy the team's chances to be a consistent contender to have it his way. So be it.

I will say this. If, after this season, Danny has a press conference and says "I've tried it my way, it's not working. So here's our new GM, please direct all further questions to him as he has total personnel control of the organization" then I'm all in. I'll pay to watch the growing pains. I'll pay to watch the inevitable ugliness as the roster is rebuilt and a young QB takes his lumps behind a revamped line. All I'm asking for is evidence that we're going about it the right way and have an opportunity to be a good organization. Of course, this is probably a pipe dream but should it happen, you can have my wallet again, Danny, with a smile no less. :)

When Danny hires a SB proven coaching staff you'll be singing Danny's praises for spending the $$$ to get it done. JC will be gone. The OL will become a area to upgrade and with no cap maybe we bring in yet another big name to cheer about.

Nah, I'm done with that. Fool me once, ect, ect. It has to start at the top. If it's only the coach and players that change, nothing's changed.

I'm close to this too...over the past two games I've found that I'm less concerned about each play. Typically, for the entire week after a Skins game I'm thinking about all the different ways a bad play could have gone. Not anymore.

I watch a bit detached and find myself only caring about the big picture stuff. To me, the small plays (and even players) on the field are so insignificant right now until we get things running correctly in the front office. Whether Snyder has to hire a GM and finally "learn", has to go bankrupt, or just lose interest and sell the team...something has to change.

Until then, the OP is right...9-10 wins is our ceiling if we get a lot of breaks in a given year.

I thought about posting this exact same thing today

I think its a shame that die hard fans like ourselves, with thousands of posts on ES, are now "detached" from the team

And its all the doing of Dan Snyder

No, it's the doing of your own weak hearts.

There are many NFL teams in far greater disarray than ours. If you're detached, you're a fairweather fan.

Like it or not, the Eagles, who made it to the NFC Championship, won ONE more game than us last year. They weren't playing against far better opponents. The Cowboys right now have the same record as us, and at least our QB doesn't USUALLY turn it over (last week being the exception).

We're through four games. We're 2-2. Chill the **** out, sac up, and don't start complaining unless we miss the playoffs.

I actually watched RedZone instead of the Skins much of last game.

All of you become Caps fans :D

I really don't think its an either/or situation vis a vis the Redskins and Caps

I am a huge huge Redskins fan, and have been a huge huge Caps fan since long before Ovechkin came to Washington.

There is plenty of room in this city for multiple teams to be winners and plenty of support to go around

the snyder era has taught me to appreciate football more than the skins... I still watch faithfully every week and am no less bummed when we lose or score less than 20 points... again... but my appreciation for other teams that do it right has led to a thirst for football knowledge that was before just a thirst for more skin superbowls...

There are many NFL teams in far greater disarray than ours. If you're detached, you're a fairweather fan.

Like it or not, the Eagles, who made it to the NFC Championship, won ONE more game than us last year. They weren't playing against far better opponents. The Cowboys right now have the same record as us, and at least our QB doesn't USUALLY turn it over (last week being the exception).

We're through four games. We're 2-2. Chill the **** out, sac up, and don't start complaining unless we miss the playoffs.

If you can't see the OBVIOUS long term differences between us and the Eagles I don't know what to tell you. Like I said, it's so plain to see that we're not a well run, quality organization. That's where it all starts. We've been stuck in the same holding pattern for 10 years and there's no end in sight.

No, its the doing of Dan Snyder

We are a weak 2-2 with our margin of victory at home over the winless Rams and winless Bucs being a meager 5 points

The team is old and not getting better

The gameday experience sucks. It takes all day to go to and from FedEx field, its expensive and the product on the field is worthless

You have an owner who is clearly more concerned with his ego and doing things "his way" rather then winning

Why should I emotionally invest in this team? I'll watch every game, but the "pressure" is gone I suppose.

I am the guy who can name you the score of every game from the 1991 season, has been to the only home playoff game since 1991 and has spent thousands of dollars this decade on the team

And my heart is weak?

I was speaking to some other 'skins fans at a party this past Sat and the overall consensus was that none of us expect to win, but hope to win. We also said that we have become numb to the status quo of this franchise.:mad:

Oh yeah, one more thging. Don't turn this into a Campbell thread, but why is it that when I talk to people out on the streets, in stores, etc., literally everyone I talk to agrees Campbell is not the answer? It seems only a few delusional fans on here can't see the forest through the trees.

After 10 years of watching the Snyder Redskins bumble around the field and make the same management mistakes over and over again I am finally at peace. I've finally, finally managed to divorce myself from expectation and hope. Danny has completely broken my football spirit. I see the light now, I accept that run as we currently are, the best one can hope for is occassionally lucking into a wilcard birth. Sustained success is a logicial impossibility. I tried this approach at the Bucs game this past weekend and it went great. I shook my head and laughed and said to myself, "that's our dysfunctional, lovable losers" when we screwed a play up, clapped in surprise when we made a play. It feels great.

When you finally understand that wins and losses don't have to matter, that they're less important to the owner than doing it his way and under his control, when you accept that Danny is going to run this team the way he wants and won't allow us the opportunity to be a quality organization, it sets you free. For me, I'm at the place where I watch every game and cheer on our boys without letting it leave my mind who we are, what our true identity is. I've also decided, rather practically and without emotion, that I work too hard for my money to spend my money on an organization that denys itself the chance for anything beyond mediocrity. As such, unless a real GM who has total and complete roster control emerges, I won't be renewing my season tickets or buying anymore merchandise. My money will go to Caps tickets instead. I'm not mad about it, I just don't want to support the insanity of it all. I don't want to support a team that refuses to build for the future and, most importantly, refuses to show they're a quality, well run organization that won't shoot itself in the foot at every level possible.

So, if you dare, fall in love with next offseason's high profile coach and free agent acquistions. He'll over come the lack of a GM, honest, this guy's the one. Besides, as always, we truly are only one player away. Or turn to your practical side, free yourself of expectations and dissapointment and enjoy the games because that's our team playing and nothing more. The truth will set you free my friends.

well said sir, I too have done this the past couple of weeks and found that my blood pressure has decreased sufficiently, and that my general mood has improved. I think now that I have a one year old daughter to occupy my time with, that i also am able to shake the losses off more easily.

I am so glad I turned down the chance to buy season tickets, and that i also have decided against making several new jersey purchases over the last month. I have a Cooley jersey from a couple years ago, and that is all this guy needs. Any wins that come from here on out are going to be pleasant surprises.

I laugh at the comments made by players about "true fans" and yadda, yadda, yadda.

I think BMitch said it best on the post game ... when you play below your abilities fans have a right to boo. This team and its players have to give fans something to cheer about. Fans are reactionary, they cheer when there is reason to cheer. It is not up to the fans to provide some kind of blind love/support to motivate the players. The players should not worry about what the fans or the media thinks, and should start focusing on what they need to do to prepare to play each week.

And the players should NOT try to say "told you so" when tey can barely beat a team with a new rookie HC, and brand new OC, rookie QB and hardly any experience. The BUcs may suck now, but they ARE building for the future. They made the commitment to rebuild, and they will most likely have more success, and sooner, than this Redskins team still claiming they have more talent than anyone in the league, yet they can't get out of their own way and stop making mental and fundamental football mistakes.

If the Pro-Bowl track and field competitions is where we make our names as elite talent players, we are never gong to be successful as a team.

BMitch may come across as a hater and a negative Nancy, but I for one find his commentary refreshing, honest and to the point. he is as big of a Redskin fan as there is, even though I know this comment will most likely get blasted. If you can't get past BMitch's on air personality, you should have no problem understanding where Doc Walker is coming from, because he is syaing the exact same thing.

The Redskins are a dysfunctional team, the "Raiders East" label fits us like a glove.

The redskins remind me of a car that needs a lot of work under the hood (O-line) but the owner installs a set of expensive wheels (Haynseworth).

Every year Snyder is looking to install that flashy piece, but the end result is still the same; the car still sputters and breaks down.

I too laugh at this team:

Campbell throws a pass in double coverage

The DBs play 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 5

JC staring down his one WR on every pass play

3rd and 8; 3 yard pass in the flat

It's a shame, this used to be a team with a lot of history, now all they are known for is total suckage.

Let them go. I say GTFO!!!!

We won and that was not good enough :doh:

They are all fake fans. Nothing can make me not support the skins. Even 0-16.

rest of these fake fans can go to hell

Let them go. I say GTFO!!!!

We won and that was not good enough :doh:

They are all fake fans. Nothing can make me not support the skins. Even 0-16.

rest of these fake fans can go to hell

I would actually support an 0-16 team that was young, built on draft picks, getting better and with a plan in place from the organization.

I still support this mess of a team. I simply know that it stinks and will not let it effect my mood one way or another.

I was speaking to some other 'skins fans at a party this past Sat and the overall consensus was that none of us expect to win, but hope to win. We also said that we have become numb to the status quo of this franchise.:mad:

Oh yeah, one more thging. Don't turn this into a Campbell thread, but why is it that when I talk to people out on the streets, in stores, etc., literally everyone I talk to agrees Campbell is not the answer? It seems only a few delusional fans on here can't see the forest through the trees.

So don;t turn it into a Campbell thread yet you had to bring it up.

I used to respect you alot man. From the first time I met you in 2005. I know your frustrated but no longer do I respect you.

This has nothing to do with the Campbell comments. Just your overall hater you became the last 2 years.

I would actually support an 0-16 team that was young, built on draft picks, getting better and with a plan in place from the organization.

I still support this mess of a team. I simply know that it stinks and will not let it effect my mood one way or another.

I support the Redskins. Period. Not some down played rationalized crap.

PS we won this week and are .500

Archived