Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Happy 40th Birthday To Monty Python's Flying Circus!

mjah

• 10 months later...
Probably one of the most influential sketch comedy shows ever and among the funniest. It was smart, it was goofy, it was British, but it appealed to people all around the world.

And clean, too. They didn't rely on shock humor, getting cheap laughs off of constant vulgarity as is the case today, mostly

I was in 8th grade ('73) when I happened upon MPFC on channel 26 UHF for you youngins. Before the internet message boards and chat rooms, my friends and I would talk on the phone and watch the show. Of course it was twice as funny after a big hand rolled full of the high grade imported stuff. :pfft:

big+joint.jpg

Hands down the most influential comedy of my life.

And I'm happy to say that the wife and I actively passed the joy of Python on down the line. My 18 yr old son can resite The Holy Grail almost from end to end.

My daughter is less enamoured with it but then, she's a 16 yr old girl so..... she's got that going for her. :doh:

:helmet:

RIP Graham Chapman, and thanks guys!

I work with a guy who looks quite a bit like the late Mr. Chapman, so I'm reminded of him not being around on a constant basis. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend Live at Aspen. It was a tribute to the Pythons in 1998 (on A&E I think) in which they brought an urn supposedly containing Graham's ashes, "accidentally" spilled it, and tried to sweep them under the rug on the stage. They explained that Graham would have loved that because "he simply adored bad taste". It's included on the Monty Python Live! DVD. You can watch an edited version in four parts on youtube, but it leaves out some good parts.

51BK92H0ZML._SL500_.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived