Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do our significant others think about this whole Redskins thing?

Utah

My wife's from asia, and even though she's been in the west for about ten years, she'd never paid any attention to football. I have taken it upon myself to mold her properly, and even said as a secret vow during our wedding that i indeed would have her, hold her, in sickness and in health, etc, and in no way would i allow her to be poisoned by the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, or New York Giants.

So far, so good.

~Bang

My wife is ok with the Redskins. Buys Redskins gifts. Is letting me get a Burgandy truck. May not let me paint the Redskins logo on the hood, but, she'll cave. Oh, yes, she'll cave. Despite all that she dreads football season and how into it I get. She complains about the dark time of year. She was worried it had started this year in March when we were all staring at the screen trying to offer thoughts on the free agent moves we were making.

My wife knows the Redskins are my schedule during football season. She's running a marathon on a Sunday 20 miles from the house and she's on her own. She hates it and hates how much I enjoy it. So, I have to make up a lot in the offseason is what I'm getting at :).

Not only is my wife a diehard Skins fan, we met at halftime of the Skins/Cardinals game at RFK in 1996. Her father is also a diehard Skins fan who actually worked on the radio broadcast of Redskin games from RFK during the 60's. Luckily for me our Fall Sundays completely revolve around the Redskins and the NFL. We just purchased a new house and I'm in the process of turing it into a Redskins palace.

It's hard to believe the season is almost here!!!

HTTR

I usually joke and say i married my wife for the season tickets ;)

Like some of you, my wife and her family love the redskins...maybe not die-hard like myself or many of us, but enough that they have 6 season tickets in the lower level of FedEx Feild. When we met, passion for the skins was what we first found we had in common. Now Game days are spent watching the TV together and eating alot or side by side at the home games cheering our asses off. Every once and a while my friends will steal me away for a sunday and we'll have a guys football day :cool:

- she even understood when i pushed back our sunday wedding till 5pm so i could watch the Skins 1pm game in its entirity...now thats love :D

Originally posted by Jimbo

Unfortunately, she is not the sportsfan I am and refuses to let me get DirectTV because she hates when I yell and curse at the TV when the Skins are on.

Jimbo, my man. I feel sorry for you but this may help. Tell her DirectTv has free installation, cheap basic service (19.99 a month) and the NFL Ticket is only 179.00.

Then tell her that you could go the alternate route and go to the sports bar 16 sundays in a row and easily spend 100.00 a Sunday for a total of 1600.00. Then compare that price to DirectTV and your in business.

If that dont work then I will continue to feel your pain. :silly:

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

my wife is an athlete and understands the game. played football herself until the rules didn't let her. she is only a redskins fan because i am, but she is letting me raise my son and daughter the right way (i actually had to give my son a brief "timeout" when he jokingly said his favorite team was the cowboys...all in good fun though). she's a penny pincher, so direct tv doesn't appear to be in the future; although, skinsfan56 has given me good ammo for our next "discussion" about it.

Originally posted by Jimbo

Unfortunately, she is not the sportsfan I am and refuses to let me get DirectTV because she hates when I yell and curse at the TV when the Skins are on.

Jimbo why don't you make a deal with her, as long as you don't get too upset then you can keep the direct tv :) If you feel you are about to yell, grab a beer and drink till the anger goes away. By the end of the game you will be so f'ed up you will pass out and go to bed so then she won't be mad at you for watching football all day.

:cheers::pint:

:rotflmao:

My wife's a funny combination of several: she's a girly girl, but she was brought up watching sports and is an avid football fan (she knows the infield fly rule; is a knowledgeable golf fan, and rants at holding non-calls in football :) ), but she's not a fan of a particular team. Naturally, I try to fill the latter void. ;)

She doesn't mind my Redskins obsession at all, and has even bought me Redskins products, such as my favorite sweatshirt. She even wears the Redskins tank top I bought for her. It's all good.

I've enjoyed reading these, thanks for sharing.

Although I am not married I remember a couple different women expressing frustration at their lack of knowledge of the game. No one ever told them the rules.

Of course part of the training I administered was an appreciation of the B & G.

When my son was born 24 yrs ago, I blastered the living room walls with Redskin stuff when they got home from the hospital. He's been a fan since...start brainwashing early guys...:laugh: Though I'm divorced now, my current girl knows the deal on Sundays, and it hasn't been a problem....matter of fact, we're bringing my 24 yr old down to DC for the Tampa Bay game in October.

Pretty much the same as a lot of other guys here. My wife couldn't give a rat's ass about football. She prefers wins because losses darken my mood.

All in all, she just accepts the fact that the schedule is planned around Redskin games. They really aren't optional.

My wife doesn't even intefere and in fact is a Giants fan. I couldn't persuade her to change over, but she's shone her love, like purchases for my Redskins gear, and immediately lets me know if the game's on in the area, and 90 % of the time, watches with me. :D

The day I met my wife I was driving from New Jersey to Maine listening to the Pats play the Skins on the radio. The game wasn't over by the time I arrived at her house so I sat out in the front yard listening to the game before I ever went in. She knew from there that the Skins and I came as one complete package. Since then she's came on board and became a Skins fan!

Originally posted by Art

My wife is ok with the Redskins. Buys Redskins gifts. Is letting me get a Burgandy truck. May not let me paint the Redskins logo on the hood, but, she'll cave. Oh, yes, she'll cave. Despite all that she dreads football season and how into it I get. She complains about the dark time of year. She was worried it had started this year in March when we were all staring at the screen trying to offer thoughts on the free agent moves we were making.

My wife knows the Redskins are my schedule during football season. She's running a marathon on a Sunday 20 miles from the house and she's on her own. She hates it and hates how much I enjoy it. So, I have to make up a lot in the offseason is what I'm getting at :).

No need to explain....we all sort of 'figured' Mrs. Art was, well...

a special lady! :cheers:

The only beef my wife has with my Redskinitus is that she fears it will eventually kill me. Although I'm not as bad as I used to be, I'm still rough to live with after a loss. If that loss is to the cowhumpers, it's damn near impossible. She goes to games with me and has a blast. (She has even more fun at hockey games. The woman is vicious) She knows whenever the Skins play, that that is the only thing happening in the world.

In reality though, the only thing more important to me is HER. And although she knows that, she has never tried to use it get me to change my football passion.

Great thread.

I am envious of you guys who have die-hard fans for wives... my GF grew up near philly and grew up hating the Eagles, but also hating football too. She has agreed to root for the Redskins since she understands my passion, but she also has to have the concept of a first down explained to her over and over...*sigh*.

Regarding the whole Extremeskins thing, she actually has alot more appreciation for the time I put in here because she is a graphic artist... occasionally she will give me some guidance on various photoshop tricks to make an image look the way I want. I tell her, "Now THAT is why I am with you!"

I am joking....

Ok, she THINKS I am joking. ;)

When I was first dating my wife, I told her that I was a diehard Redskins fan and that on Sundays during the season, I will be watching football. If we are to be together, she will have to except that. She said "cool" because her father(pop) was a big skins fan and she grew up watching the skins with her father.

She also told me that her Uncle(fathers brother) was in the Redskins marching band back in the 50's. I was maddly in love with her after that.

We both agreed that getting married in June(of 1982) would work so it wouldn't interfere with the football season. Then I said that I wanted to have myself and my best man and ushers to wear burgandy tuxedos and the bride's maids wearing yellow(or gold) dresses. I wanted to have a Redskin theam to the wedding. She said that she would have to "draw the line" on that idea. I said "well, I tried".:laugh:

Then she gave me the greatest gift of all(no, not what y'all are thinking,:quickie: that too but) she said that the Redskins are going to win the Super Bowl(XVII) this year, and as y'all know, she was right.

She goes to 2 or 3 games a year with me now, but she will not watch a game with me at home anymore. She said that I am to LOUD when I watch the Skins. So, she watch's the game in our den while I watch the game on our big screen in the family room.

You just got to love her.

My wife isn't a football fan, but is the greatest. She didn;t have a problem with me getting Sunday ticket every year and doesn't mind that I buy all the Skins memorabilia that I do.

When we met in 1998 she didn't know a lick about football. She grew up in an area that didn't have HS football and the closest HS team was like 35 miles away. She had to be explained the littlest things like the first down. She now understands alot of rules and always asks more things which makes me happy that she's interested enough to learn. It helps that I drag her to my HS alma mater every friday night to catch a game. We're going to turn our garage into a family room which was going to be a historic football shrine, but she hijacked the plan and now I only get a wall. Well, i guess I can say at least I get a wall. She's been buying Skins clothes for a future child of ours and bought herself a Skins tank top.

I'll get to see the Skins at DC for the first time in my life against the Jets this year! I saw the tickets on ebay and asked if she wanted to go to DC to catch a game and to my shock her response was: "Whatever you want to do babe":jump: I was shocked that it was that simple. I believe she's finally coming around. Hopefully this game will turn her out.:D

My wife grew up watching Don Meredith and company so she's a Cowboys fan.

We've sort of found that it's not a real good idea to talk football (I find it very hard to refrain from drug and pedophile - related bashing) and NEVER to watch a Redskins-Cowboys game together (it means that one of us, usually me, ends up in a black mood).

We sneak to the Christmas tree each season and make sure that our team's ornaments is situated higher than the other spouse's team ornament.

When we went to Dallas to see the infamous Jeff George-dragging game a few seasons ago, she refused to sit with me while I wore my hog nose.

The Rivalry may not live on the field of play, but it endures at our home.

My girlfriend actually tolerates my Redskins passion. She has even gone to the sportsbar with me on occasion to watch a game(it helps that they serve a special breakfast during football season).

She actually has a tougher time dealing with Oakland Athletics passion since baseball games come on multiple times during the week as opposed to once a week like Football.

My Redskins passion was expressed to her basically from day one, because I wanted her to know that during football season on Sunday 3 hours are being sliced out just for the Skins. hahaha

Archived