Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do our significant others think about this whole Redskins thing?

Utah

I was reading over at CPND a thread that asked this basic question. Well, I hadn't seen one over here in a while (if so, direct me please) so I thought it would be cool to hear what others go through.

For me, its a way of life, so my wife supports everything that has to do with football. My wife, being LDS, generally is not around during games or only gets to see half of them because she is off to church during that time. Lucky for her, I tape all the games so she gets the luck of watching 30 replays of every crucial play or if I think a guy has done some great play, she gets to see it enough times to puke for most. She just sits there, nods and smiles and then rips the controller from my hand and informs me (every week) that coaches in her house do not get to touch the remote control.

She knew from our college days that the Redskins were a way of life. In fact, I was ready to move back to Washington DC after my college carreer, but she convinced me otherwise. To make it up to me though, the instant the NFL Sunday ticket was available, she allowed me to spend the $1300 to get the satilite and the Ticket so I could see my team play.

Overall, the wife pretty much allows anything with the Redskins to happen in the house. She just gets sick of watching old games during the offseason. :D

my wife is just as big as a skins fan as I, we spend all day sunday on the couch in pajamas and watch FOOTBALL :) , the house we just bought we are going to create a redskin's room in the basement

the night I met she told me that and I quizzed her on the current players, it was love at first talk :cool:

Here's a good thread about this subject. This is what I wrote:

My wife was born on Superbowl Sunday, 1972. Her dad, a huge Skins fan, kept sneaking out of the delivery room to check the score. When she was 8 a friend of the family gave her a Cowboys sweatshirt. Her dad refused to let her wear it and threw it away (no joke.)

My father in-law is a crazy Redskins fan. He's probably the only person (not on a messageboard) that never gets sick of talking about the Redskins. Makes family gatherings much more bearable.

My wife has always been a Skins fan. Not a crazy die-hard messageboard geek fan like me, but she roots for them, and hates, I mean HATES the Cowboys. In fact, I think she hates the Cowboys more than she likes the Redskins, which is ok I guess. :)

My wife is single on Sundays. That is the day she usually takes the kids out to lunch after church while I make a beeline home to start watching the games. About 10 minutes after I reach home I have at least 10 other guys show up on my doorstep.

My wife then usually finds a friend to go shopping with and thats when I pull out the duck tape since I then have kid duty. I just ducktape them to their room for the next few hours or until I hear my wife pull in the driveway..:laugh: :laugh:

One of my best friends in law school gave my wife a plaque about halfway through the first football season he knew us.

It reads "We interrupt this marriage for Football season". I think it sums it up. My wife watches the games with me until something invariably goes wrong with the game. Then after she listens to my tyrade about the refs or stupid penalites she usually finds some sort of housework or errand that needs done only to leave me alone while I rant and rave at the TV.

Anyone else here get the feeling that when your sitting on your couch at home yelling at the officials or coaches that they just don't listen?

my wife is a Cowboys fan of all things :mad:

she usually has a pretty good sense of where the teams are going (she thought the 2000 Skins team wasn't a special one) and this year thinks the Redskins will make the playoffs :cool:

and she thinks the Cowboys will have some more growing pains under Parcells.

at the same time every chance she sees Snyder on TV or hears him on the radio she calls him the 'little emperor'...........

which really started to grate on me after awhile. then I recounted the list of Cowboys sent to jail or taken to court and we have reached a gag rule in regards to both issues :D

My darling wife :cool: knew my obsession with the Redskins when we met, shortly after high school. In fact, she had to swear allegiance to the Burgundy and Gold before we got married! :laugh:

Seriously though, I will be going to 5 games this year and she is cool with it. Even with the 4 day weekend trip to Buffalo to see the Skins. Brysins 30th b-day celebration will be a blast!!! :wave:

I try to take one of my kids, or the wife, to a game each year. Last year was her first game. A win over the Rams. Maybe I should bring her more often? :thumbsup:

Originally posted by bulldog

my wife is a Cowboys fan of all things

To echo Bulldog, my wife is a Redskins fan :shoothead as is her entire family.

We came to the conclusion very early that watching Eagles-Redskins games together was not going to work.

So, on Sundays I stay downstairs with Direct TV and curse out the G/D Eagles (who deserve it every week) while switching between all the games in which my fantasy players are playing. This entire process drives her crazy of course, so she goes upstairs and naps to the Redskins. Peace is maintained, at least until the playoffs.

When we go to FedEx (been to two of the last three Eagles/Redskins), I just wear my Reggie White jersey and remain calm, cool and collected. She cheers like crazy for the Skins, while I put up with the ribbing of the fans around me, giving as good as I get, usually, but never starting it or rubbing it in when the Eagles inevitably take the lead for good. :D

funny you should mention attendance at games :)

I have season tickets and my wife started to accompany me to games in 2000 after we got married.

The games she came to the Redskins invariably won, much to her chagrin as I mentioned she is a Dallas fan.

So, she is boycotting the Skins games and I am now taking my brother-in law.

He has not been as lucky for me or the team :(

My wife is ambivalent but supportive (you know...the old 'if it makes YOU happy, it makes ME happy deal). I married the coolest woman in America. She lets me be me (and lets face it, that ain't no small sacrifice) and supports everything I do.

Now my 6 year old son, HE's gonna be a Redskins fan. Whenever I whoop it up during a game, I can hear him run up to my wife and say 'The wedskins must be winnin' mom'.

Oh yeah......

Originally posted by Tarhog

My wife is ambivalent but supportive (you know...the old 'if it makes YOU happy, it makes ME happy deal). I married the coolest woman in America. She lets me be me (and lets face it, that ain't no small sacrifice) and supports everything I do.

Now my 6 year old son, HE's gonna be a Redskins fan. Whenever I whoop it up during a game, I can hear him run up to my wife and say 'The wedskins must be winnin' mom'.

:lol: :lol: LOVE IT TAR!

My girlfriend actually doesn't even watch football, or sports for that matter. She is a girly girl. She does let me have my Redskins and all that entails of being a bit of a freak at times. While she ****es and moans about it, she does do all kinds of little things for me showing her love for me. Like before the season she'll go out and buy me a card wishing the Redskins a good season and buy me a shirt or some Skins boxers - little stuff like that. She knows my vices and deals with them with her kind ways. It's all good.

After 7 years of marriage and 10 years being together, my wife has absolutely no clue about football.

My almost 3 year old daughter knows more about football and the Skins than my wife. My little girl can almost sing Hail to the Redskins so that has Dad pretty happy.

I took my wife to 3 games in 99. All she cared about was being able to go to work and say "We went to a Redskins game this weekend."

I just tell her to find something else to do on game day.

My wife was a shaky-at-best Raiders fan. We went to the Raiders at Skins game at RFK in '95 while she was pregnant with my son. Raiders won (Pee'd me off), she wore Skins colors, then I had to clear out a bunch of people getting on the Metro because of the crush. They were squashing her and my future kid and we had purposely waited for the next train so I could get her a seat. That really torqued me. She has went to several games with me and watches some at home. She used to use gametime or racetime as naptime for her. I'm cool with that too. My boss is married to a Giants fan. That gets interesting.

My wife tolerates my obsession, she calls the finished basement of our home the shrine (that is where every piece of Skins Memorabilia is displayed) She could care less about football but she has become quite knowledgeable by listening to me rant and rave at the TV.

Thank God my wife loves football! I don't have to explain anything!

She never had a favorite NFL team (she is from L.A.) so she is slowly becoming a Skins fan due to my brainwashing. She recently bought a ton of Skins baby stuff for our daughter (T- 3 weeks). Last night she hinted at getting DirecTV with NFL Sunday Ticket for my birthday.

Life is good!

My wife is a Bills fan and tolerates my 'Skins obsession. She now favors the 'Skins as her NFC team, but ROOOOOTS for the Bills. It's heredity, her Dad is a stong Bills supporter. We may even get up to Buffalo to watch the'Skins this year, I'll be with Dad-in-law, she'll bring the new baby up to show the Buffalo family. (Do I hear any uproar for a Northern HogsFest?)

My fifteen year old son is definately a Redskin fan. He posts here occassionally (AUeagle11, the FL Prince) and is great company at the Palm Beach Fan Club gatherings.

HTTR,

My wife is sort of in between. That is, she understands football but isn't really a fan. So though she thinks me :doh1: :geek: and :high: for my obsession with the Skins, she does a great job of :shutup: to keep the :peace1:.

All in all, it works. I suppose it helps that I'm really only into football so she's only "single" for 4-5 months out of the year.

My first wife HATED football and just wouldn't leave me alone at gametime. Is it any wonder that marriage died an early death ?

My girlfriend while not a huge football fan does follow Ohio State football with a passion. She is a fan of the Skin's because of me and could probably name 3 or 4 Redskins. Last night while flipping through the channels she was able to spot LaVar at the Espy's. By the time all is said and done, she'll probably be posting on this board.

My wife lived in Maryland for 9 years and upstate New York before that. She told me that she was a huge Bills fan until they lost their fourth Super Bowl. Right after that was when she moved to Maryland and she said all of her friends and neighbors hate the Redskins. When the Ravens came to town she finally had a new team to root for and has done so ever since. I think she is slowly becoming more of a Redskins fan because my entire family from my grandfather down to my littlest cousins are skins fans. She told me the other day that she might be more of Redskins fan when they start winning again. So maybe at the end of this year she might like them more. C'mon Playoffs!!!!

My wife is not a football fan. She does, however, tolerate my Redskin obsession. It's the ONLY sport I pretty much demand to watch. The rest of the year I'll give up the TV for her or the kids.

During football on Sundays ... it's mine or I'm hitting the sports bar. :)

My wife hates sports in general but particularly football. Of course I did subject my wife to NFLE, Arena football and I had season tickets to the local AFL2 team in Wichita. Oh ya I also watched the XFL and the local (Chase County) High school team. My wife has decided that she hates teams sports and hates me during the season.

One mans obsession is another man's therapy

But she does tolerate

Crash:gus: :gus:

My wife's first husband used to play in the Redskins Band (unfortunately, he's a real arsehole, even for a fan :finger: ) so she has a good idea of what it's all about.

Every time we move, she is in charge of setting up "The Shrine" (a bookcase with a bunch of my memoribilia) because she has a real knack for making it look great.

Unfortunately, she is not the sportsfan I am and refuses to let me get DirectTV because she hates when I yell and curse at the TV when the Skins are on. She says I am not going to watch college football all day Saturday and then watch the NFL on Sunday and Monday nights but I still get away with it most of the time.

With no DirectTV, I'm banished to sports bars here in Colorado Springs so I seldom get to hear the sound for the Skins games. I've become very astute at figuring out what is happening during the games but I'd LOVE to find a place WITH sound every week.

The funny part is, she wants me to invite friends over to watch the Skins when they are actually televised here because she figures I'll be on my best behavior and won't yell or curse. My guests end up getting louder than I do. :laugh: :cheers:

Archived