Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is no one concerned about our defense?

tiger187126

Poll: If Zorn is to be fired, when should it happen?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: If Zorn is to be fired, when should it happen?

• You don't fire Zorn! Let him grow into being a head coach. He gets Year 3.
    • Fire Zorn on Monday, after Lions game.
    • Fire Zorn at the Bye.
    • Fire Zorn at the end of the season.

This has been going on for a couple of weeks, but our defense looks the same as last year, yet all the talk on here is about how inept the offense is.

3 punts in 2 games iirc.

this is a team game and for the offense to be effective they need the defense to get them the ball and for the defense to be effective the offense needs to give them a lead.

it's chicken and egg, but so far neither has stepped up and i think the defense should be more scrutinized because of the shunning of the offense in FA spending.

allowing two teams, one of which is horrendous to convert 50% of their 3rd downs, especially when most are third and long is just not going to cut it.

the only guy who is stepping up because of his 1 on 1s that are created by big al is griffin. orakpo started coming on last game but we still don't have a pass rush and our blitzes are still getting picked up, easily.

matt stafford has a league-leading 5 ints this year, and the defense should absolutely abuse him.

the lions need to be punished every time they take the field, because if they get going then they will get into the game and the redskins will feel the heat and we watched them in primetime when things got difficult last year.

it wasn't pretty.

Defense has looked really solid and will get better each week. Art mentioned it in another thread but until Hall starts playing the run from the CB position we're going to be a little soft (paraphrase). But the pressure on the QB has increased dramatically, Londer and Rocky look great, and the rookie looked much better last week. No concern here...offense ever picks up and you'll see a great defense.

Did you miss all the threads calling out D. Hall and Landry? Or our whole secondary playing 10 yards off? Or the threads calling for Blache to be fired?

I thought those were some concerns about our defense.

That being said...our defense has played a hell of a lot better than our offense...

no, but did you see the 13070174012740 threads saying that our defense is good enough to win the super bowl and they're not.

they played like an elite defense for the last 4 plays of the st. louis game and there's no reason they can't look like the majority of the plays.

Greg Blache plays a, and you have probably heard this term.., "bend but don't break" defense. Now, he blitzes a lot and likes to bring pressure, but still allows a little bit of a cushion, assuming its better to give them a first down than to let them get a large TD play. Does this style work? Yes. It is incredibly effective. The Giants, who have arguably the best Oline and QB combination in the NFC, scored only 1 offensive touchdown against us. They also could not execute within the red zone. Will we get more sacks than last year? I hope so, and probably. But do not say that we should be concerned about this defense. This defense is just as good as last year and better. Blache's scheme may not be the flashiest, but it works, and it works well. Do we still have things to work on? Absolutely. Are they glaring? No. And am I okay with where our D stands at this point in the season? 100%

HTTR.

Edit: and I will take a 9-7 win any single game of any single week.

Ive been concerned since the offseason when I read that we would be putting Orakpo at LB. I think moving him to DE would boost our pass rush because right now it is non existent. And any team with a good qb will eat us up because of the time they have. Which is why teams are converting 3rd downs on us. And we all know we give up too much cushion to the recievers.

In my opinion Blach is too arrogant to change the D and let his players do what they do best. He wants to force this system..so expect the same results as the last few years...a good D. Doesnt give up too many points, but will always be in close games.

no, but did you see the 13070174012740 threads saying that our defense is good enough to win the super bowl and they're not.

they played like an elite defense for the last 4 plays of the st. louis game and there's no reason they can't look like the majority of the plays.

The defense will come together in time. But right now they aren't playing up to the caliber that they should be. I think we see a vast improvement this week. I predict we hold the Lions to single digit points. And compared to our offense, the defense looks like the 2000 Rams

I don't give a **** about sacks or turnovers. If the defense allows only 11 points a game and get no sacks and no turnovers for the rest of the year, i'd be elated. Don't blame the offense's problems on the defense "not getting turnovers". A competent NFL offense should be able to score 12 points game even if they start from the 20 every drive.

The only truly worthy stat in the end is... points allowed. Everything else is secondary. 16 points against the giants, 7 against the rams.

no, the only thing that matters is W-L.

just like the offense needs to score more points to win, the defense has to hold an opponent to less points.

I'm quite disappointed with our d-line. Haynesworth is drawing double teams and blowing up the middle, but it seems like no one else even gives a ****. How the **** are they able to double Haynesworth and still block everyone else perfectly. Doesn't make sense to me.

Makes sense to me. He's the only good player in the d-line.

The defense will come together in time. But right now they aren't playing up to the caliber that they should be. I think we see a vast improvement this week. I predict we hold the Lions to single digit points.

and the offense is in the same boat. they'll get it together. they may have scored less points but they piled up 360 yds of offense in the game and drove relentlessly downfield. they had to do so because their average starting field position was their own 19.

the defense isn't doing the offense any favors.

Archived