Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is no one concerned about our defense?

tiger187126

Poll: If Zorn is to be fired, when should it happen?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: If Zorn is to be fired, when should it happen?

• You don't fire Zorn! Let him grow into being a head coach. He gets Year 3.
    • Fire Zorn on Monday, after Lions game.
    • Fire Zorn at the Bye.
    • Fire Zorn at the end of the season.

Yes, but the defense also needs to be able to give the offense a short field every once in a while. Our offense can't be expected to drive 80-90 yards EVERY single time, can they?

That's where the bend but don't break defense fails. It's great for the defense, but it sucks for the offense. The defensive scheme hurts the offense.

I don't give a **** about sacks or turnovers. If the defense allows only 11 points a game and get no sacks and no turnovers for the rest of the year, i'd be elated. Don't blame the offense's problems on the defense "not getting turnovers". A competent NFL offense should be able to score 12 points game even if they start from the 20 every drive.

go tell that to the steelers who barely outscore their opponents by only a few points even with the defense giving them a lot more than ours does.

but it also gives offenses long drives, doesn't give the offense the ball, and consistently causes the offense to drive on long fields.
True. I'm not really HAPPY about it, just relieved it's not worse, and a little disappointed given I thought Orakpo would be more of an upgrade over old Marcus Washington and our 100 million dollar man would make a difference even though his real impact is probably run-stopping.

I blame Blanche.

no, but did you see the 13070174012740 threads saying that our defense is good enough to win the super bowl and they're not.

they played like an elite defense for the last 4 plays of the st. louis game and there's no reason they can't look like the majority of the plays.

Well that is true as well, but I'm not the one who started this thread :silly:

Yeah, they have the potential to play well, those last 4 plays were beautiful...

It's always the same old, same old with these guys...they've got the potential to play well but for some reason...they just don't. :whoknows:

True. I'm not really HAPPY about it, just relieved it's not worse, and a little disappointed given I thought Orakpo would be more of an upgrade over old Marcus Washington and our 100 million dollar man would make a difference even though his real impact is probably run-stopping.

I blame Blanche.

he does make a difference because we do get a lot of 1 on 1s. hell we even play 5 down to give everyone a 1 on 1 matchup.

what we didn't account for is our 1s can't beat there 1s.

orakpo will get better, he's a stud.

what's sad is that right now, griffin is #2 on that list. where is andre carter?

We seem to, maybe all fans do, look at a player's best years as the standards. Carter has had 2 double-digit sack seasons. The d-line is, save for Haynesworth, the same one we've been ****ing about for a while.

13th in sacks

20th in ints

our 2 worst areas last year, and $150 million spent.

i think the defense gets too much of a pass.

Actually, I think you read the stats incorrectly lol...the Skins are 24th in sacks, not 13th. They are 13th in sacks given up.

But the thing is, measuring anything in terms of league ranking a mere 2 weeks into the season is a bit foolish...put another way, the only thing separating #24 from #12 this early into the season is 2 sacks. Put yet another way, the Giants' defense has 3 sacks so far, while the Skins' defense has 2.

Well that is true as well, but I'm not the one who started this thread :silly:

Yeah, they have the potential to play well, those last 4 plays were beautiful...

It's always the same old, same old with these guys...they've got the potential to play well but for some reason...they just don't. :whoknows:

here's the plays that kill me:

eli fumbles - 3 redskins and 1 giant in the area, giants recover

eli throws a late pass - carlos drops 6 points

reciever fumbles - roughing the passer calls it back

(there were a few more in the rams that i can't remember, it was very sunny and my attention waned as the game went on)

they are just a broken tape that runs over and over

My problem with the bend but dont break defense is that if the other team makes 1 big play then you can lose, even if you shut them down all game. Everyone is saying they are happy with the performance against the Rams but had Bulger completed that last pass then many may be singing a different tune.

The truth about our D is that we give up way too many 3rd downs and not enough 3 and outs. And it seems like whenever we score the D lets the other team come down and score.

Honestly who would rather have a bend but dont break D, instead of an attacking Defense like the Ravens, Steelers, Giants. I know what I would prefer.

Now im not saying our D is bad. In my opinion we have a top 5 Defense. I just think we could be much better if we played a different scheme.

here's the plays that kill me:

eli fumbles - 3 redskins and 1 giant in the area, giants recover

eli throws a late pass - carlos drops 6 points

reciever fumbles - roughing the passer calls it back

(there were a few more in the rams that i can't remember, it was very sunny and my attention waned as the game went on)

they are just a broken tape that runs over and over

It's a lot easier to remember the big mess up plays...I didn't rewatch the giants game (all I can think about is Campbell throwing an interception over the line of scrimmage :doh:) but after rewatching the rams game...I found a lot more positives.

Not perfect by far, but a lot better than I thought during the game.

Uhm, not to mention it was the DEFENSE that won the Rams game...since the offense had a hard time in the Red Zone. Did by chance anyone see that? So why is someone starting a thread asking such a stupid question? Of course we are concerned about the defense...but they are holding up and getting better. Its week 2 by God!!! lets give the season a chance to start already!:point2sky

We expect our defense to give us a pass rush and create turnovers? It would help to score more than 9-16 points a game and actually force the other team to pass the ball to keep up and allow our defense to go away from the run defense. We currently allow any opponent to run whatever they want to run on offense for 4 full quarters because we put no one in a hole. Then we complain about no turnovers, no sacks, and a 13-10 win/loss.

In order for the defense to do the things we want to see we need to create an imbalance, we need to give them an advantage. Currently, and last year, our defense has to play it straight for 4 quarters.

Remember 2005? We had 17 Sacks in the final 5 games, all wins. We scored a lot of points in those 5 wins, 28pt avg. We had 17 sacks in the first 11 games combined, with 5 of those coming in the 52-17 win over San Fran. Do you think that was a coincidence? We get sacks when we are scoring points, forcing the other team to be more 1 d. No big mystery here.

Score some points and the defense will get sacks and will get turnovers and we will steamroll teams.

You think the 1985 Bears defense won all those games by itself? Hardly, their offense scored a lot of points, the defense played aggressive and they killed teams. They didn't play for a field goal on 3 of 5 10 play drives. They had Payton, McMahon and Gault/McKinnon going deep. They were 2nd in points. Their defense didn't create all those points by themselves. Their offense didn't settle for 3 every drive worrled about turnovers.

no, the only thing that matters is W-L.

just like the offense needs to score more points to win, the defense has to hold an opponent to less points.

11 ppg this season. What the hell more do you want? Shutouts each and every week? Our defense is good enough to go deep in the postseason with. Its our pathetic offense that needs to execute better.

Even against the Rams, keeping any NFL team to 7 points is impressive.

I'm a little worried about the cushion and Hall has not looked good. One long run by Jackson skewed the running d results but otherwise, he was pretty much kept in check. Horton and Carlos look solid, Smoot's back this week, and we all knew we'd prefer Orakpo at end, but we go with what we got until they find another LB. Reed Doughty is a strong third safety. We're switching out DL all game long and other than LB, we've got depth everywhere on the D. (Personally, I'd go with Blades and put Orakpo on DE, but it's a solution until next year's draft.)

Letting the opponents have so many 3rd down conversions is poor, but it's a good sign that at least the opponents are getting to third down instead of stringing some first downs together.

But the lack of an Oline is my biggest concern and that's not going to get better this season. And the offense is not going to get better until the OLine does.

Did you miss all the threads calling out D. Hall and Landry? Or our whole secondary playing 10 yards off? Or the threads calling for Blache to be fired?

I thought those were some concerns about our defense.

That being said...our defense has played a hell of a lot better than our offense...

What she said.

Same story as last year. The offense plays ball control and helps the defense keep the opponent's score down. Defense gets all the credit.

The defense allows the opponent to play ball control (Giants five clock-eating drives, Rams three) to keep our offense's score low. Offense gets all the blame.

Archived