Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WPC: Blood in the water

JimmiJo

http://www.warpathconfidential.com/?p=1262

Blood in the water

By John Pappas

Warpath Confidential Editor

The Washington Redskins are 3-7 over their last 10 games. They have managed just one offensive touchdown since the season began. The team manufactured three field goals only against one of the worst teams in the NFL. And in the second year of his tenure as head coach, it can be argued that Jim Zorn’s team is actually worse than when he began.

All of this has people wondering if time is getting short for Zorn.

As the game unfolded Sunday, there seemed to be a collective, silent groan in the press box at FedEx Field. In the second year in Zorn’s offense, the spectacle of the Redskins’ inability to score against one of the worst teams in the league was a little difficult to witness.

Following a less-than-impressive offensive effort in New York in week one, it was expected Washington would make an example of the Rams. Instead, the Redskins barely scraped out a win with just nine points. Washington was able to move the ball against St. Louis, much like they did at times against New York. But they could not get touchdowns, even with four trips inside the red zone.

Click the link to read the entire article...

"Following a less-than-impressive offensive effort in New York in week one, it was expected Washington would make an example of the Rams."

See, this is what makes me roll my eyes and scratch my head, what have we seen, actually seen, that would make anyone state that this team would or could make an example of anyone?

WE have become the example- "Team, don't let this happen to you!" All the optimism and hope in the universe doesn't mean that this team has improved one iota. The evidence so far seems to support that.

I would be willing to bet money if we dont beat the Lions this week Zorn will be gone.

I believe that as well. Going to be interesting this week for sure. Jason is banged up and won't take all of the snaps in practice allowing Todd to get some.

Let's say Zorn knows his job is on the line and Todd gets most of the snaps during practice this week. Jason starts but has a bad first quarter or half and we are behind. Does Zorn try to save his hide and make a switch?

Other part of this is "if" a lot of Jason's problems are related to Zorn's play calling would Jason really try to save his job?

I believe that as well. Going to be interesting this week for sure. Jason is banged up and won't take all of the snaps in practice allowing Todd to get some.

Let's say Zorn knows his job is on the line and Todd gets most of the snaps during practice this week. Jason starts but has a bad first quarter or half and we are behind. Does Zorn try to save his hide and make a switch?

Other part of this is "if" a lot of Jason's problems are related to Zorn's play calling would Jason really try to save his job?

This is an interesting development to watch. If the team shows no spark, I think I would try a switch just to see how the team responds. Something has to change, the team must score. Though the two dropped passes are not JC's fault. I just think someone, somewhere needs to be benched, maybe JC or Moss. Make an example of someone.

IMO, The team isn't going anywhere fast with the current coaching situation, may as well make the change now, at least it will be a false comfort if the team collapses when we blame the interim coach, unlike Zorn, who everyone will focus the problem on if he stays.

Sometimes it just doesn't work, and its time to move on...

I hope that, in his ten years as an owner, Dan Snyder has learned to have more patience than this fanbase. Jim Zorn appears to be close to achieving two of the primary goals he was hired for.

-- His work in remodeling Jason Campbell into a legit starting QB seems to be working

-- We haven't had a consistent NFL quality passing game since Norv left. It looks like Z has his troops on the verge of a breakout even though we don't have an O line comparable to the Giants

This offense is designed for ball control and field position, so the idea is to dominate low scoring games. It will never be a high scoring offense. Get used to it. Give the offense some credit for holding down the opponent's ability to score.

In Snyder's shoes, I would work with Z to shore up his time management problems, I might suggest that he give Chris Meidt in the booth more input. I'd let Z work out the red zone problems for himself. In Zorn's shoes, I wouldn't ever throw the ball to Sellers or Portis . So, the Sellers drop can be blamed on Z, IMO.

"Following a less-than-impressive offensive effort in New York in week one, it was expected Washington would make an example of the Rams."

See, this is what makes me roll my eyes and scratch my head, what have we seen, actually seen, that would make anyone state that this team would or could make an example of anyone?

WE have become the example- "Team, don't let this happen to you!" All the optimism and hope in the universe doesn't mean that this team has improved one iota. The evidence so far seems to support that.

Exactly. I made this point in another thread. Why do people think the Redskins are the upper level team that should be making examples of people? I think the talent is there, but clearly the execution is not, and everyone knows it. Other teams look at games with us as an opportunity to "make an example". The Lions are looking at us as a sure-fire win. Yet we continue to look down on other teams like we're something. Why? Cause of our history? We're the joke right now.

Before we throw Zorn under the bus, remember he didn't walk into the best of circumstances. He was hired as OC but then was promoted to HC when the FO decided they couldn't get who they wanted. Secondly, he had to accept all of the coaches that were already in place except for his hiring of Sherman Smith as OC. He had to have some kind of confidant since all of the other coaches were pretty much Gibbs'. This coaching deal has to be a total sell by the entire staff. Maybe some aren't buying into Z's system. IMO, firing will regress us even more. What about hiring a real GM to get us some younger and better players? Also, maybe Zorn would be open to hiring an experienced OC.

Before we throw Zorn under the bus, remember he didn't walk into the best of circumstances. He was hired as OC but then was promoted to HC when the FO decided they couldn't get who they wanted. Secondly, he had to accept all of the coaches that were already in place except for his hiring of Sherman Smith as OC. He had to have some kind of confidant since all of the other coaches were pretty much Gibbs'. This coaching deal has to be a total sell by the entire staff. Maybe some aren't buying into Z's system. IMO, firing will regress us even more. What about hiring a real GM to get us some younger and better players? Also, maybe Zorn would be open to hiring an experienced OC.

Does any of the above have anything to do with some of his playcalling, in the red zone in particular?

:no:

May be gone after a loss, but I doubt it will be imediate. No team wins switching coaches mid year.

Snyder has already gone that route once with Robiske. Do you really think he would do it again?

Why not? He keeps doing all the other stupid crap that doesn't work over and over and over again.

Two games into Zorn’s second year however, the offense has not improved. Not where it counts at least.

See, I disagree with this to a certain extent. One of the big problems from last year were 3-and-outs and not being able to get past the 40 on a regular basis. We now can do that. I'm not sure we'd even be talking about this if receivers held onto the ball in the end zone.

There has been so much focus on Campbell and the passing game, it seems people aren't looking carefully at the running game. One thing that IS worse than last year is the line's run blocking. It isn't nearly as strong as it was last year, and I don't know if it will get much better with Thomas out. The team benefited a lot last year from Portis being able to score TDs on the ground. In the Rams game last year, he scored twice. This year, he wasn't even close to scoring.

Does it end up being the coaches fault if it ends up that its the talent on the line that wasn't improved enough?

I would be willing to bet money if we dont beat the Lions this week Zorn will be gone.

Which is as useful as "If we don't beat the Lions, we'll wear all white for the rest of the season".

While Zorn is over his head. The problem is the front office.

Look at the depth issues already along the OL and the DB's.

2 weeks in and its an issue.

Shambles.

A bandaid isn't going to fix this.

We need new Front Office GM experience.

I think it is crazy to start talking about firing the coach after week 2 heading into week 3. Aren't we the same group of fans who blast the FO for making hasty decisions year after year and not having any patience? Changing coaches at this point would be pointless and would only mean saying "screw it" to the 2009 season.

And by the way, this red zone thing is getting blown way out of proportion. There were 2 dropped touchdown passes and a fumble lost in the red zone on Sunday. Throw in a couple crappy calls and poorly executed plays and you have yourself an ugly game. Its happened before and will likely happen again, but it doesn't mean we are done for the year.

Good call in hindsight, Coach.

I've been crying for that since I've been watching Redskins football.

Zorn cannot make adjustments and that's a huge issue. If something he's doing isn't working he's just going to keep on doing it. It's not hindsight, you could see it during the games that we need to open it up more in the red zone.

the only way i see collins playing this week is if campbells ankle injury flares up. i dont think zorn will make the switch no matter how bad we do against the lions.

look for change at the bye week if were sitting at like 2-5 or 3-4.

See, I disagree with this to a certain extent. One of the big problems from last year were 3-and-outs and not being able to get past the 40 on a regular basis. We now can do that.

Just because we did it against the Rams doesn't mean we can do it consistently. We were as inept as ever against the Giants. Also, we'll be plagued with the same problem as last season in a few weeks when our O-line completely breaks down.

See, I disagree with this to a certain extent. One of the big problems from last year were 3-and-outs and not being able to get past the 40 on a regular basis. We now can do that. I'm not sure we'd even be talking about this if receivers held onto the ball in the end zone.

There has been so much focus on Campbell and the passing game, it seems people aren't looking carefully at the running game. One thing that IS worse than last year is the line's run blocking. It isn't nearly as strong as it was last year, and I don't know if it will get much better with Thomas out. The team benefited a lot last year from Portis being able to score TDs on the ground. In the Rams game last year, he scored twice. This year, he wasn't even close to scoring.

Does it end up being the coaches fault if it ends up that its the talent on the line that wasn't improved enough?

Another good point. We haven't had a third and one back in a long time. They tried to experiment with TJ Duckett a while back but they had the wrong guy. If you look at most successful running games now they have a change of pace, one bruiser and one scat back.

The only other thing I would add to that is that teams aren't scared of JC throwing deep down the field, therefore the defenses tend to stack the box. Long game would open up the short game more.

Archived