Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WPC: Blood in the water

JimmiJo

You people that think Todd Collins is better than Jason Campbell are just straight up bad at watching football.

Yes, watching all the other games around the NFL and seeing QB's torch defenses for big gains, watching the football sail through the air in a nice tight spiral only to land perfectly in the hands of a WR in stride, and watching QBs throw TD passes INTO the end zone.

Man, that's bad at watching football. Bad me, bad!

Well put and about where I am at. We did see moves/additions in the offseason that gave us hope, not only for a better season but hope that someone had actually had that lightbulb click on over their head. Apparently we were wrong.

I think you are absolutely right, we need a systemic makeover from top to bottom with a consistent and cohesive vision of what this team needs to be.

Exactly.

Again, I don't want that post to come off as overly critical of Cerrato, because I think he's done a good job of selecting some players. I just think he might be better suited to be in a position a rung below where he currently sits. I think he does a good job evaluating players, but I'd like to have someone above him (or in his place) who can map out the cohesive vision (great way of putting it) and organizational plan.

I guess we can always hope!

As much as I hate to say it, I think the problem we have is the O-line is just not up to snuff, and has not been since Norv left...I recall Gibbs2 having major problems scoring just like now and I think it is the O-line. I am not sure why Buges line has been so soft but I don't think we have the horses to really compete now.. When we get in a power running situation in the red zone, the o-line gets decimated, just manhandled by the opposition....Portis has nowhere to run. I don't think Zorn's playcalling is the problem, I seen to recall during the first half of last year everyone including the media thought his playcalling was stellar. I put the brunt of our troubles on Buges and his boys.

Exactly.

Again, I don't want that post to come off as overly critical of Cerrato, because I think he's done a good job of selecting some players. I just think he might be better suited to be in a position a run below where he currently sits. I think he does a good job evaluating players, but I'd like to have someone above him (or in his place) who can map out the cohesive vision (great way of putting it) and organizational plan.

I guess we can always hope!

Vinny has been in charge since 2008. As I look around the league, I don't see anyone drafting better. I don't think Z has the pieces fitting yet, but I see progress.

As much as I hate to say it, I think the problem we have is the O-line is just not up to snuff, and has not been since Norv left...I recall Gibbs2 having major problems scoring just like now and I think it is the O-line. I am not sure why Buges line has been so soft but I don't think we have the horses to really compete now.. When we get in a power running situation in the red zone, the o-line gets decimated, just manhandled by the opposition....Portis has nowhere to run. I don't think Zorn's playcalling is the problem, I seen to recall during the first half of last year everyone including the media thought his playcalling was stellar. I put the brunt of our troubles on Buges and his boys.

I think the O-Line is a problem for sure. So far they have been decent in pass protection but can't get any kind of push for run blocking especially in the redzone.

I still think the play calling sucks, but if that some how improves I think the O-Line will deteriorate as the season goes on.

Vinny has been in charge since 2008. As I look around the league, I don't see anyone drafting better. I don't think Z has the pieces fitting yet, but I see progress.

How can this be said when only one player has made a significant contribution, and he was a 7th rounder?

Technically, Zorn got hired to perform the job that is directly below what he currently holds, but I think he has proven unable... :D

True. But perhaps if he didn't have to do all the superfluous crap that a head coach has to do, he could focus on improving his playcalling, as well as work to improve the 28th ranked redzone offense from last year.

I understand and if you read my original post about it, I generally agree he's picked players well.

I just don't get the feeling (I'd love to be wrong) that we have a long-term plan to rebuild the team and backfill for aging veterans. It seems more of a "hunt and peck" way of acquiring players.

Like I said, each individual pick is fine (and sometimes GREAT), but I don't get the sense that he has a long-term vision of where this team will be in 1, 2, or 5 years.

True. But perhaps if he didn't have to do all the superfluous crap that a head coach has to do, he could focus on improving his playcalling, as well as work to improve the 28th ranked redzone offense from last year.

Personally, one could argue we'd be better off if he focused on the superfluous crap and left the play-calling to Sherman Smith.

Queue up the BPA responses...

BPA is always subjective, and supposed to be based on what you need/how they fit into your overall scheme. If you don't have an overall scheme you just pick in a vacuum, disparate pieces that don't mesh together and then wonder wtf went wrong.

Well, I personally don't have a problem with that approach. There still needs to be an overall vision and strategy. I'm talking about player acquisition as a whole, not just the draft.

And who would have ever thought that 3 pass catchers would be the BPA 3 picks in a row?!? :D

If you have time to post crapola challenging the opinions of others, I'd suggest you allow time to defend it. No one here gives a damn about your lack of patience.

1st drive, 4 plays

2nd drive, 3 plays

3rd drive, 4 plays

4th drive, 5 plays

allow yourself the time to not use your keyboard.

edit: crapola was pretty funny btw.

Well, I personally don't have a problem with that approach. There still needs to be an overall vision and strategy. I'm talking about player acquisition as a whole, not just the draft.

I couldn't agree more, but would add that the coaching be able to use whatever talent drafted be used to the best of the PLAYERS ability in which case I feel we lack.

Next year's draft, bpa shouldn't override OL that are on the board.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by "overall vision." The Walsh WCO is a ball control offense using the short to medium range passes and YAC to accomplish the goal. The receivers drafted in 2008, fit that scheme.

Players taken in free agency can be gap fillers based on need (Bellichik has been doing this since 2001), but Dan and Vinny appear to be trying to do more with the acquistions of Dockery, Haynesworth and Hall. My perception is that this wasn't part of a strategic plan, but they just happened to be opportunities that became available to upgrade the team. The same is true of the failed attempt to land Cutler.

1st drive, 4 plays

2nd drive, 3 plays

3rd drive, 4 plays

4th drive, 5 plays

allow yourself the time to not use your keyboard.

edit: crapola was pretty funny btw.

You found four drives to start the game. Still, the Skins offense averaged 31 yards per drive to the Giants 29 despite the fact that the Giants put together five clock-eating drives of 8, 8, 10, 10, 12 plays on our defense.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by "overall vision." The Walsh WCO is a ball control offense using the short to medium range passes and YAC to accomplish the goal. The receivers drafted in 2008, fit that scheme.

Players taken in free agency can be gap fillers based on need (Bellichik has been doing this since 2001), but Dan and Vinny appear to be trying to do more with the acquistions of Dockery, Haynesworth and Hall. My perception is that this wasn't part of a strategic plan, but they just happened to be opportunities that became available to upgrade the team. The same is true of the failed attempt to land Cutler.

I guess I'm not doing a good job...my apologies.

Again, I admit that this is just my perception and could be totally incorrect, but I don't get the feeling that Vinny really has a plan on how to fill our OL needs, backfill for CP at running back, continue to pursue a franchise QB (maybe), add LB depth, etc.

Basically, you see teams who constantly draft OL and DL despite being pretty well-set at those positions. It just seems we go into each off-season and just wait to see what shakes out.

Archived