Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

See Yourself as a NFL fan or a Skins fan?

RedskinNutt

Skins first by far but I do love the NFL. There was a stretch in the 80's and 90's that I never missed a second of any game aired, even the really late MNF games.

I dont have the time to do fantasy or watch as many games as I would like to but I just love the hell out of the NFL. I dont know guys names nearly as much as I used to.

I like baseball and watched the All-Star game this year and I swear that I knew like 3 guys. I am ashamed but having 3 youngsters cuts into my sportscenter time.

Very interesting responses.

I agree with several of you, when I was younger "without a care in the world", I followed anything and everything, and it was just for knowledge, no fantasy, no betting. Now, with a family and in the process of buying a home, it's tough to stay informed, but I try thanks to the internet.

I guess it just matters where you are in your life and what you can devote time to.

I was really into college football and basketball back in the day, but that demands way more dedication (basketball does anyway). I'm a season ticket holder with GMU basketball for 10+ years, and it's hard to even stay up to date with those guys. Same with the NBA...I stay slightly informed thru the season, but only watch the playoffs with any interest.

^^^This is why I haven't responded to this thread. If you are only a Skins fan, then you better not be in The Stadium talking about how the Skins barely beat the Rams.

That's kinda why I brought the thread up. I noticed some guys' comments on not only the game but football in general, and I don't think they've really followed the league and other players.

I understand love for your team, but when threads about "Greatest Players of All Time" are thrown out, and people start listing out skins from the last 7 years, I have to wonder if they know about the rest of the league and its history.

To each their own I guess.

That's kinda why I brought the thread up. I noticed some guys' comments on not only the game but football in general, and I don't think they've really followed the league and other players.

I understand love for your team, but when threads about "Greatest Players of All Time" are thrown out, and people start listing out skins from the last 7 years, I have to wonder if they know about the rest of the league and its history.

To each their own I guess.

I think in most peoples minds the way the question was phrased was not do people follow the NFL.

I can name you off most of the players on other teams, their relevance and how as much as it pains me a lot of them have more talent then the skins. Doesn't make me an NFL fan just I am knowledgable to a certain degree about the NFL.

But I won't sit and watch a Bengals vs. Browns game just because it is the NFL.

I'm a Skins fan first and foremost, but I know a fair amount about the rest of the league. Fantasy football does help a lot, but I watch a fair amount of games besides. But honestly, if the only game I watch during the weekend is the Skins than I'm fine. I've gone long stretches where I've done that and I've had little problems. Even if I don't watch games I still read stuff so it keeps me informed enough.

Both. I live and die with the Skins, but I know a lot about other teams as well. I'll watch as many other games as I can, I watch the draft I play fantasy football, I play Madden...

In the College game I'm more a fan of the Terps first and the rest of the the country a more distant second. But in the NFL I know more about the other teams than a lot of their own fans I'd bet.

Fan of both for sure, although if the Skins were to disappear I'm sure my interest in the NFL would nearly disappear too.

In other words, I follow the NFL and other teams because of their impact on the Skins.

I want to know about Skins' opponents, so I follow other teams.

I want to know who a player is if we sign him as a free agent, so I follow other teams.

I want the Skins to make the playoffs, so I follow other teams' games and their impact on the Skins.

I hate certain teams because I'm a Skins fan, so I enjoy watching those teams lose.

So basically, I follow the NFL because everything that happens around the league either directly or indirectly affects the Skins. Oh, and I pay some attention to the college game so I'm somewhat informed on draft day. :)

Used to be purely a Redskins fan, couldn't care what happened to the rest of the league. Now, as I've gotten a better understanding of the game, I feel I'm more a fan of football in general (HS, College, NFL), and then a fan of the Redskins.

In recent years, my biggest draw to the Redskins have been Sean Taylor and Joe Gibbs. With Sean on the team, I would much rather watch our defense than our offense -- he was just that exciting. With both gone, and the team consistently sucking, I'm putting less and less stake in being a fan of the team per se. It isn't worth the emotional drain when they (usually) disappoint.

Archived