Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo....how did he do today?

CHAMBURGER

Living on the left coast, I was not able to see the game today, but when I looked at the stats on NFL.com RAK had no tackles:( I am hoping he looked good and the stats lie...help me out guys!

Officially he had 2 QB hits and 1 pass defensed

-----------TKL AST COMB SK / YDS TFL QH IN PD FF FR

B.Orakpo------------0 0 0 0.0 0.0 0 2 0 1 0 0

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/54491/WAS_Gamebook.pdf

He went beast mode on the Rams last series bringing pressure

He had a good game

I still want to see him blitz more from the edge on 1st and 2nd down

Dropped into coverage quite a bit. But I don't think he looked lost overall in that role. Had some decent pressure and they doubled him some when he was at DE. Close to sacks and had the personal foul on Bulger which was close.. sometimes guys get away with that sometimes not. Not sure how he did against the run solid, one TFL I believe. Seemed like he failed to turn some runs inside, but I'm not sure that's on him on some of the outside runs?

He was solid. Seemed like he was in Bulger's face a lot. I love the clowns who only look at stats to determine how good a player is. GTFO.

Relax. Your confusing the OP for an idiot. He didn't see the game and could only judge by stats, which is why he came to us for clarification.

He had a pretty nice celebration after someone else made a good play.

Other than that, he was invisible, once again.

Sometimes that's good when you are a rookie, then again, he's holding his own. I mean do you expect him to be a demarcus ware in a 4-3 defense? There's no way, it would create too many damn holes. You either have him at OLB or DE or a hybrid. But don't expect our DE's to come running off for him on 1st or 2nd down.

He had some good pressures.

His most impactful contribution to the game today was his roughing the passer penalty that negated our fumble recovery. You guys seriously need to take off the goggles. I'm not saying he's a bust. He might be amazing one day. But he was clearly our worst starting LB out there.

Bulger is a vet that doesn't take a sack unless he has no choice. Not getting a sack doesn't mean Rak wasn't effective against him. Bulger only completed a little over 50% of his passes and averaged less than 4.5 YPA. That's pretty good defense. A QB pressure that results in an incomplete pass may not be as glamorous as a sack but I'll take it.

Take away Stephen Jackson's 58 yard run and you're looking at 16 carries for 46 yards. That's less than 3 YPC. That's pretty good defense as well. Rak will make rookie mistakes, especially since he's playing out of position. The good thing about him is he rarely repeats them. Lack of tackles doesn't necessarily mean he's not doing a good job, it just means that you can't tell what the heck he did if you didn't see the game. ;)

His most impactful contribution to the game today was his roughing the passer penalty that negated our fumble recovery. You guys seriously need to take off the goggles. I'm not saying he's a bust. He might be amazing one day. But he was clearly our worst starting LB out there.
Not really saying much when the other starting LBs include a dynamic 2nd round pick out of Miami from only a few years ago, and an annual borderline Pro Bowler and one of the better MLBs in the league this decade. Big surprise a rookie DE two games into his NFL career as a LB would be the worst compared to the other two guys lined up next to him.

I thought Orakpo played alright. Nothing overwhelming, but he looked fantastic on that last series when the Rams were backed up in their endzone.

I'm still on the fence about the DE/LB hybrid thing, as he still looks like he a lot to learn about both positions in the NFL, but he looked really natural coming off the edge in that last series.

Dropped into coverage quite a bit. But I don't think he looked lost overall in that role.

Great Call.

"Hey, there's this great Pass Rushing DE available that was supposed to go Top 10 or maybe even Top 5, should we grab him?"

"Yeah, we need a guy to chase around Tight Ends, maybe he can do that for us" :dunce:

:chair::doh:

"The Redskins defense, though as it had been doing pretty much all game picked up the slack and brought home a Redskin victory. Give some extra credit to the pressure provided on the last series by rookie Brian Orakpo. He looked every bit like the beast he's been advertised to be."

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/20/jim-zorn-dodges-bullet-in-redskin-win/

Archived