Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Campbell needs more shotgun

themurf

campbell091809.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Jason Taylor in Washington was a complete failure. This is not even debatable. Sure, he’s been a Hall of Fame caliber player the other 12 years of his career, but his one season as a Redskin was downright embarrassing.

And why is that? Because the coaching staff developed a gameplan heading into the 2008 season that was built towards the strengths of Phillip Daniels, not Taylor. Once Daniels, a 305 lb. defensive end, was injured on the first day of training camp, the front office moved quickly to acquire Taylor. And even though Mr. Dancin’ with the Stars weighs 50 pounds less than the guy he was tasked to replace, the team never altered the gameplan.

They took a perennial Pro Bowler who made a career out of speed rushing on the edge, and asked him to be like Daniels, a solid, but unspectacular power-based end. It’s that whole “square peg, round hole” kind of deal. It’s also why we don’t blame Taylor for failing in D.C.

Great teams look at their roster and build their gameplan around the strengths of their players. Unfortunately, recent history shows the Redskins don’t.

So why are we bringing up Taylor? Why can’t we do like the rest of folks around town and pretend his time in burgundy and gold never happened? Well, because we can’t help but see a parallel between Taylor’s situation a year ago and the ongoing struggles of quarterback Jason Campbell and Jim Zorn’s West Coast Offense.

It’s pretty much universally agreed upon that Campbell is not your prototypical timing-based, precision passer this offense requires. He’s much more comfortable throwing intermediate to long passes than what he’s currently being asked to do by Zorn. Campbell is also much more comfortable playing out of the shotgun (which likely stems from playing behind a mediocre offensive line in Washington) than lining up directly behind the center. Even Zorn knows this.

“I think he plays well in the ‘gun,” Zorn said of Campbell to the Washington Post earlier this week. “He’s a tall guy. It’s immediate pass protection right at the snap.”

But every time Zorn is asked about working the shotgun in more often to play to his quarterback’s strengths, he talks about not wanting to run the shotgun exclusively – as if there’s no middle ground between using it every down and simply working it into the offense more often to play to Campbell’s abilities.

The topic of Campbell and the shotgun came up during our interview with Doug Farrar, who authored the Washington Redskins chapter of the Football Outsiders Almanac 2009. Here’s what he had to say:

Click here for the full article.

Murf, I dunno if I like where you're going with all this logic stuff. It's not going to fit in all that well around here.

I am a Campbell fan. I am a Zorn fan. I want everyone to be successful and still be employed by my favorite football team this time next year. But at the end of the day, the 'Skins are doomed for mediocrity unless something gives.

murf - what do you think that something is?

Being smart enough to make an honest assessment of the talent (and limitations) on your roster and building your gameplan around it.

If Jason Campbell is best suited to play in the shotgun, use it more often. If Jason Taylor became one of the best defensive ends in the NFL by playing a certain style, don't ask him, in his 12th season, to completely change his game. If Antwaan Randle El is a mediocre second receiver, but a very good slot receiver, then it should be easy to figure out where you should line him up.

I could keep going, but it's only going to bum me out.

As always, great write up Murf.

If its so obvious to everyone else, why is it not to the coaches?

Why does our team have to be punished like this? I mean, there must be some really bad karma, luck or something against us. We have great players on both sides of the ball, yet our stubborn ass coaches want to force them to play a system they aren't comfortable with. Add on top an owner and VP of douchebaggery running the team like a failing fantasy football roster, and you get a ton of frustration and mediocrity.

Sorry to vent, but its just difficult sometimes. I've been a fan for 22 years (I'm 27) and I'll still be one when I die, but damn. Can't we get something good to cheer for again. I honestly hope that over the next few weeks, with our weak schedule, that we can jump on these cake teams, let some starters rest, and meet the Eagles for Monday night at 5-1.

Here's to hope, I'll be getting trashed in the mean time.

I totally agree with you murf. I was just trying to lure you into calling somebody out ;)

The disconnect between all levels of this organization is making me absolutely mad. From the FO to the Coaches, from the coaches to the players. The Goal here are wins. Who puts up the points? Players are the ones that touch the ball on the field. No one else, give them a chance to play to their level, instead of coaches trying to prove a point.

Im wondering how much pressure Zorn is beginning to feel to use the shotgun more?

Also, I have been thinking that if Campell doesnt work out here where will he land next year? I doubt he gets a starting chance right away so the backing up at the three teams you mentioned seems most obvious and Im really thinking the patriots. Wouldnt that be a needle if he leaves here and goes to the pats, brady gets hurt and well???

Brian, awesome read as always!

I have to tell you if we can see what's needed, and the media can see what's needed, and the players seem to know what's needed then why in the name of everything that is holy can Zorn and the coaching staff not see it?!?

I want to see Zorn as the HC next year, I want to see Campbell as the QB but I can't take another game where my 11 yr. old daughter looks at me and says, and I quote "It's 1st down, they are probably gonna run to the left". :doh:

Um, looking at the numbers you posted, it seems like that he did run from the shotgun a lot, more than from under center. I'm not sure how much more he can run from the shotgun when you have to consider that the running game can't be run from the shotgun. You need to at least sell that the running formation could be a pass, so I'm not sure how much more they could run it.

I do think that with a no-back formation that he should be in the shotgun all the time, which he wasn't a couple times in Sunday's game, with predictable results. Other than that, tho, I think he's fine.

Clinton Portis led the league in shotgun draws last year.

The NY Giants led the league in rushing despite running 39% of their snaps from the gun.

In 2008, the average run play from shotgun averaged 5.6 yards, compared to 4.1 yards on other carries.

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/smarterstats/2009/09/smarter-stats-covering-the-spread-shotgun.html

You can run from the gun

The NY Giants led the league in rushing despite running 39% of their snaps from the gun.

In 2008, the average run play from shotgun averaged 5.6 yards, compared to 4.1 yards on other carries.

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/smarterstats/2009/09/smarter-stats-covering-the-spread-shotgun.html

You can run from the gun

Sure, but eventually, your element of surprise is gone and your LBs stay home.

I'm sure if you look at stats on fake field goals, they have a high yards per play average, but I wouldn't say we need line up in field goal formation on first and second downs...

Just saying...

well, just like playing the pass action opens up the pass plays, the shotgun draw opens up the running games. Both theories keep the defense honest.

We just don't have an offensive identity. We know we run the shotgun well, but the big guy wants to keep things balanced which i support to some degree. But this goes back to the OP, our talents right now isn't leaning towards an under center run/pass game right now.

I am a Campbell fan. I am a Zorn fan. I want everyone to be successful and still be employed by my favorite football team this time next year. But at the end of the day, the 'Skins are doomed for mediocrity unless something gives.

gibbs did it ...Taylor was killing the skisn and he dumped the extra WR and added a TE and, well the rest if F'ing history.

zorn needs to do something radical if the skins don't score, and score a lot.

maybe going to a shotgun formation as kind of the base for this offense is it.

I have always said that #17 plays better when the tempo is turned up and the shotgun is used.

You can run from the gun

that is ...remarkable.

i would have never guessed on any of those stats.

I'm sure if you look at stats on fake field goals, they have a high yards per play average, but I wouldn't say we need line up in field goal formation on first and second downs...

Just saying...

And when the LBs stay home, you kill them over the middle. If they bring their they up their safeties up to take away the middle you'll have the WR screens on them and/or have the deeper posts and flys open all day.

But every time Zorn is asked about working the shotgun in more often to play to his quarterback’s strengths, he talks about not wanting to run the shotgun exclusively – as if there’s no middle ground between using it every down and simply working it into the offense more often to play to Campbell’s abilities.

The topic of Campbell and the shotgun came up during our interview with Doug Farrar, who authored the Washington Redskins chapter of the Football Outsiders Almanac 2009. Here’s what he had to say:

Click here for the full article.

jim-zorn-jason-campbell.jpg

A long time ago i used to coach basketball in Wheaton.

I really enjoyed coaching, i loved being called coach.

I have a hard time casting blame towards a coach.

Players need to execute that is the bottom line.

But, a coach has to put his players in a position to be successful.

Even if it goes against that coach's philosophy.

I tried to install a pass and screen offense with 11-13 y/o kids :chair:

It took couple of ugly scrimmages and my buddy/assistant in my ear to get me to scrap the idea.(I still think a pass and screen away offense is money;))

I think its obvious that Zorn isn't helping JC or the passing game out with his playcalling and game mangement right now.

We're supposed to be WCO and our QB is good in the shotgun.

What are we doing?:doh:

Zorn's reasons for not using the shotgun aren't good enough imo

o the Giants who are a running team often passed from the shotgun on first down!

o the Colts who are in shotgun alot more then most teams are still a very effective under center play action passing team.

o the Pats are in shotgun almost 50% of the time are still a good under center play action team

Zorn needs to trust Campbell and trust himself; put him in shotgun and sling it around a bit.

I know he can do it, i remember watching our old offense from the 1st part of last season:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80aca4ae/WK-2-Jason-Campbell-highlights

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80afaa43/Week-3-Jason-Campbell-highlights

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80b30ee8/WK-4-Jason-Campbell-highlights

You are also missing the point that to play to this teams strength is to showcase Clinton Portis (whether that is true at this point is opent to debte). This team, as currently constituted, is built around Portis and I am sure if Portis begins to be marginalized for the QB we'll hear about it.

It's been clear for a long time that no matter your feeling on Jason, that he has delivered his best numbers when we've really been airing it out, shotgun, spread the field, etc. That's not to say he won't make some mistakes but at least you're putting him in the position to succeed or make the case that someone else should be under center.

And yet we consistently play against our strengths as a team. We can run the ball but we need to get the defense backed off a bit (most teams do.) We can pass but we probably need 3-4 wideouts (or Davis as a wideout with Cooley at TE) and to be in the shotgun to do so.

There's also the chance that if Campbell can get in an early rhythm that we could go back to under center and things would open up a bit for him there or he'd at least be able to make decent plays to keep drives going and we'd be able to run as well.

Archived