Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Opposition to Health-care Reform Revives Christian Right

Midnight Judges

The Christian right, facing questions before the presidential election about its continuing potency as a force for cultural and political change, has found new life with Barack Obama in office, particularly around health care.

As the president prepares to address a joint session of Congress on Wednesday night to press for health-care reform, conservative Christian leaders are rallying their troops to oppose him, with online town hall meetings, church gatherings, fundraising appeals, and e-mail and social networking campaigns. FRC Action, the lobbying arm of the Family Research Council, has scheduled a webcast Thursday night for tens of thousands of supporters in which House Minority Leader John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) and other speakers will respond to the president's health-care address.

Polls show that the health-care packages on the Hill are widely unpopular among evangelicals. More than seven in 10 white evangelical Protestants in the most recent Washington Post-ABC News poll said they are dissatisfied or angry about the Democratic reform proposals.

A coalition of three dozen conservative Christian organizations, representing 5 million people and calling itself the Freedom Federation, announced its formation last month. It has taken on opposition to health-care reform as its first issue.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/08/AR2009090802985.html

Nothing screams "WWJD" like rallying against healthcare for poor people!

Of all the frequently mentioned behavior sometimes called hypocritical, this sort is the most consternating to me. I really don't understand how anyone that's deeply spiritual can go out of their way to protest an issue that really can be boiled down to money vs. helping people. I'll never understand the mental dancing with themselves they have to go through to be comfortable or at peace with their stance. I might be a little naive but come on?

Yeah, because being against health care reform, in particular the idea of universal health care, is very Christ-like. I also forgot that Jesus charged for his healing services and he was quite pleased with the money changers being in the Temple.

Jesus surely didn't say in Matthew 9, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick." And He surely didn't say in Matthew 10:8, "Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give."

And the disciples? Capitalists, all of them. They would be quite pleased with the Christian Right's pro-corporate, pro-Big Business approach to religion.

Yes, Jesus would be quite pleased with them all.

Of all the frequently mentioned behavior sometimes called hypocritical, this sort is the most consternating to me. I really don't understand how anyone that's deeply spiritual can go out of their way to protest an issue that really can be boiled down to money vs. helping people. I'll never understand the mental dancing with themselves they have to go through to be comfortable or at peace with their stance. I might be a little naive but come on?

Seriously... seems like christians should at least entertain the idea of a fiscally responsible form of universal health care.

"I was sick...and you did not look after me."

"Lord, when did we see you...sick...and did not help you?"

"I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

I go regularly to church, pray daily, and try to live a life that is acceptable to God. I realize that my fellow man will still see evil in me, question my motives, and ridicule my service to Him.

Just do a check on my forum alias and you can see a thread that describes my healthcare situation. I do the best that I can with what I have and yet, it is not good enough for you.

Too, feel free to judge me as you wish - I can't stop you from doing so. God would not be pleased if I listed the good that I have done. My service is to Him and it is not to receive praise/recognition from mankind. I frequently come up short in my service to God, but I hope that His grace and love can sustain me.

I go regularly to church, pray daily, and try to live a life that is acceptable to God. I realize that my fellow man will still see evil in me, question my motives, and ridicule my service to Him.

Just do a check on my forum alias and you can see a thread that describes my healthcare situation. I do the best that I can with what I have and yet, it is not good enough for you.

Too, feel free to judge me as you wish - I can't stop you from doing so. God would not be pleased if I listed the good that I have done. My service is to Him and it is not to receive praise/recognition from mankind. I frequently come up short in my service to God, but I hope that His grace and love can sustain me.

What is your position on health care? Forgive me, but I cannot remember your exact stance. And knowing how Christ approached his healing and his attitude towards the poor, is it affected by this?

You misunderstand if you think I judged you and those who hold your stance. I would say you're a fine person (mostly :evilg:) from what I've picked up here.

I just can't understand the choice to favor one directive or train of thought (to Caesar what's Caesar's) over the countless other directives about taking care of the less fortunate. It would be helpful if I could site examples, I know, but I think you can get where I'm coming from.

I am to render unto Caesar what is Caeser's.

That really didn't answer the question. :) Also, that is more related to paying taxes, not to opposing a system that uses those taxes. Paying your taxes does not necessarily mean opposing a system that is closer in nature to how Jesus healed the sick and his philosophies. Which, BTW, is the reason why many Christians, at least those who believe in social justice, actually support universal health care.

I am not judging you -- just trying to figure out your stance on the matter.

that implies that these people have some sort of rational thought.

What they are rallying against is the government taking over a rather large percentage of the private sector.

Hack=You

What "government taking over a rather large percentage of the private sector"?

Let's stick to the facts: H.R. 3200 does not socialize the health care in this country. It does not create a single-payer system. It is not "taking over" the health care system. No matter what right-wing "hacks" are saying, this is not the truth of the situation.

We cannot debate this if we do not even have the correct facts on the ground.

What "government taking over a rather large percentage of the private sector"?

Let's stick to the facts: H.R. 3200 does not socialize the health care in this country. It does not create a single-payer system. It is not "taking over" the health care system. No matter what right-wing "hacks" are saying, this is not the truth of the situation.

We cannot debate this if we do not even have the correct facts on the ground.

If you believe that than there is really no room for debate. What private sector company can compete with a government agency that can operate at a loss indefinitely?

Of all the frequently mentioned behavior sometimes called hypocritical, this sort is the most consternating to me. I really don't understand how anyone that's deeply spiritual can go out of their way to protest an issue that really can be boiled down to. I'll never understand the mental dancing with themselves they have to go through to be comfortable or at peace with their stance. I might be a little naive but come on?

Can't any issue be reduced to money vs. helping people?:silly:

I don't approve of church gatherings on political issues,but to assert opposition to a certain health plan is unchristian or unspiritual is a load of crap.

But go ahead and send what ya can spare,I'll put it to good use.:)

What is your position on health care? Forgive me, but I cannot remember your exact stance. And knowing how Christ approached his healing and his attitude towards the poor, is it affected by this?

Care to explain why Jesus didn't heal everyone and enrich the poor?

You know,long as you are preaching and all.:cool2:

Care to explain why Jesus didn't heal everyone and enrich the poor?

You know,long as you are preaching and all.:cool2:

He helped to feed the poor in addition to his hands-on healing and his spiritual enrichment. After all, he also said, "Love your neighbor as yourself."

John the Apostle also said (John 3:16-19), "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."

If Jesus and his disciples were around today, I have a feeling they wouldn't be well accepted by some on the Right.

because he was a fraud?

Probably had a hidden Kenyan birth certificate as well.;)

INCOMING :geek:

Was he a fraud is a valid question , after all how could the all powerful son of God ignore the sickness and destitution in the world.

Not very loving of him,and I'm assured by religious scholars:hysterical: on here that Love and helping others in need is what Christianity is all about.

Archived