Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JC, Zorn, and the Shotgun

THUNDERDOME

Postgame is talking right now about Campbell and the shotgun. I don't know who's talking but they're saying since it looks like the shotgun has worked real well for Campbell, they hope Zorn doesn't turn his head toward it since it's not a staple of the WCO.

JC has looked real good in the shotgun, and it gives him a quicker chance to read the field. Hopefully Zorn implements it more and we can take advantage of it and generate some big plays.

Thoughts?

We are too static in what we did last year. Shotgun was reserved for blowouts. With our breakdowns in the offensive line, pass rushers had a field day charging at Jason, counting his steps sidestepping into the spot he had to pass from. It was an epic failure as our season was ruined, and Zorn never adjusted. When they stacked the box, poor Jason was right up in there, squatting ackwardly under Rabach. Time and time again. Extra tight ends, the WR's just outside the TE's. Running it up the gut. He played right into the box. He needed to spread the field and get Jason far away from the rush to give our WR's a chance to get down field and burn them proper for stacking us. It didnt happen.

I am optimistic Zorn has finally realized not every single play that he has to call has to be strictly designed for THE prototypical WCO QB.

Now we just need to convince him that the hurry up can be our friend as well.

I agree that Jason should be used more in the shotgun. It helps two areas of weakness for him, the slow foot work, and slow reading of the defense. I also would like to see four wideout sets, with thomas, kelly moss, and either mitchell or ARE. I think there are a lot of weapons we can use this season to score more points.

Noticed something funny after reading this thread & I had the revelation that the most recent Super Bowl Winners & Losers (the past 5 years) seemed to use the shotgun a LARGE percentage of the time. (save for SEA in 06)

This may be due to a general change in football to more spread and shotgun principles but I just found that interesting

Either way it seems to speak to the trend to get the QB out from under center

We are too static in what we did last year. Shotgun was reserved for blowouts. With our breakdowns in the offensive line, pass rushers had a field day charging at Jason, counting his steps sidestepping into the spot he had to pass from. It was an epic failure as our season was ruined, and Zorn never adjusted. When they stacked the box, poor Jason was right up in there, squatting ackwardly under Rabach. Time and time again. Extra tight ends, the WR's just outside the TE's. Running it up the gut. He played right into the box. He needed to spread the field and get Jason far away from the rush to give our WR's a chance to get down field and burn them proper for stacking us. It didnt happen.

I agree and hope that Zorn will change but I'm not overly optimistic yet. I'll wait and see how the season goes.

The WR's are giving me more of a reason to think that the skins could actually be successful this season. Kelly is a stud and Marko will certainly help in the red zone. Imagine a formation with both of them available near the goalline! It's going to be hard NOT to score!

I speak for the minority who would scrap the WCO ... Skins do not have the complimentary talent and its useless to force the square peg into this hole. They should go to a no-huddle-gun-spread with urgency and use the pass to set up an occassional run. Zorn's (Holmgren's?) version of the WCO with Campbell posing as MH is too easy to defend ... and simply stated ... cannot score enough points.

Hopefully Zorn implements it more and we can take advantage of it and generate some big plays.

Thoughts?

I don't think we'll ever become a heavy shotgun team because a good chunk of our base passing game is structured around I-Form/Singleback play-action passing.

But, Jason is better from the shotgun.

The stats from Football Outsiders back this up:

“The one thing I’d like to see more of from Campbell and the Redskins offense is him in the shotgun. Last year, Campbell had a DVOA of 9.1 under center and a 35.6 in shotgun,” Farrar said. “And we’re not talking about a small sample size. There were over a hundred shotgun attempts. The Patriots, Chiefs and Cardinals all ran over 50 percent of their offense from the shotgun last year and it would help Campbell a lot. He seems to be able to progress in his reads better when things aren’t so much in his face and he can get a sense of what’s going on down the field.”

Just thinking back to last year it seemed as if JC was in shotgun more early in the season.

http://www.homermcfanboy.com/2009/09/03/finishing-up-with-the-football-outsiders/

But, i also thought Zorn saying that there are certain plays if JC wants to go into the shotgun its up to him.

"I feel comfortable back there in shotgun and can see the receivers and see the field better," Campbell recalls of a meeting with Zorn that day.

"(Zorn) said, 'I'm not a shotgun person. But if you're more comfortable with it, you can do it.' "

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:0o3Xtl4xLUEJ:www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/redskins/2008-10-23-sw-cover_N.htm+Zorn+and+Jason+Campbell+shotgun&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I speak for the minority who would scrap the WCO ... Skins do not have the complimentary talent and its useless to force the square peg into this hole. They should go to a no-huddle-gun-spread with urgency and use the pass to set up an occassional run. Zorn's (Holmgren's?) version of the WCO with Campbell posing as MH is too easy to defend ... and simply stated ... cannot score enough points.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn :) Oh no he ditant!!

Yeah, I know what you mean but the skins are kind of stuck with the hand they dealt themselves. There is NO chance Zorn will change his philosophy overnight. He's not Joe Gibbs in 1981 :D And he doesn't have riggo and the hogs!

I just watched the eagles @ the redskins game in 07' and Cambell looked awsome running the offense. You could tell that he didn't need the shotgun when our offense was in a rythem. But when the offense struggled to move the ball it was even worse trying to pass under center. He doesn't need shotgun to be good but let's at least cater the offense around his stregnths to keep defenses guessing

I agree that Jason should be used more in the shotgun. It helps two areas of weakness for him, the slow foot work, and slow reading of the defense. I also would like to see four wideout sets, with thomas, kelly moss, and either mitchell or ARE. I think there are a lot of weapons we can use this season to score more points.

Just because JC has not made every single progression correctly doesn't mean that he is slow with his progressions. Some plays you have guys that are running routes designed to create mismatches and if they are playing zone, you have to wait for the route to develop, so you wait for it. Our OL can't hold the pocket long enough for most of those routes to develop. The fact that JC does hit his 3rd and 4th progressions is enough to shed light on the reality that it's not his fault the majority of the time!

The shotgun will help JC because it will help the WR's and TE's too. When you are not jammed at the line and chipped by one guy and have another with hands on you at the beginning of the route you tend to get into the route faster. Shotgun makes the coverage softer. Unless you are a shutdown CB or true #2 CB you will not be pressing with 4+ WR sets. If you do, bingo! Pick the one that gets beat off the line and kick the extra point!

They have to keep the shotgun and should use it regularly. $.02

Just because JC has not made every single progression correctly doesn't mean that he is slow with his progressions. Some plays you have guys that are running routes designed to create mismatches and if they are playing zone, you have to wait for the route to develop, so you wait for it. Our OL can't hold the pocket long enough for most of those routes to develop. The fact that JC does hit his 3rd and 4th progressions is enough to shed light on the reality that it's not his fault the majority of the time!

The shotgun will help JC because it will help the WR's and TE's too. When you are not jammed at the line and chipped by one guy and have another with hands on you at the beginning of the route you tend to get into the route faster. Shotgun makes the coverage softer. Unless you are a shutdown CB or true #2 CB you will not be pressing with 4+ WR sets. If you do, bingo! Pick the one that gets beat off the line and kick the extra point!

They have to keep the shotgun and should use it regularly. $.02

oh, and what about the mismatches with both our TE's against LB'ers?

Love to see that with a spread out shotgun formation!

Archived