Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per PFT: Colt Brennan gets humbled

Rocky52Mc

Link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/02/colt-brennan-gets-humbled/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 2, 2009 6:48 PM ET

Colt Brennan's stock reportedly fell in the 2008 draft because of his attitude as much as his funky throwing motion.

After a great rookie preseason and a strong start to his second training camp, Brennan was puffing his chest out and thinking he could swipe Todd Collins' job as the team's backup quarterback. Just a few humbling weeks later, Brennan is on the roster bubble.

Brennan has completed only 13-of-27 in the preseason with one touchdown, three interceptions, and seven sacks in three preseason games and could lose his job as Washington's third quarterback to Chase Daniel.

And it sounds like Brennan's attitude has been necessarily adjusted, according to Jason Reid of the Washington Post: "The swagger Brennan displayed before camp and preseason has been replaced by outward humility, which has been a refreshing change to some in the organization who thought the kid used to be way too arrogant for someone who had accomplished, well, nothing," Reid wrote.

If there are too many in the organization that share this belief, the arrogance that cost Brennan some spots in the draft could also cost him a job. (On the bright side, this could free Brennan up for some quality time with Yoko Romo sits to pee.)

Who ever would have saw this coming before camp?

Seriously. All the talk around here was if CB could unseat TC, or maybe even JC in the preseason. Crazy how quickly tides change. The most popular man in town is always the backup QB. In this case, it's the backup backup project QB with potential.

I'm glad SOMEONE agrees with me that his attitude needed changing. No one in the Cult wanted to admit it and kept making excuses for the way he acted, with the talking about Campbell's contract to competing for the backup job to betting the DBs to pick him off.

Good to see you're realizing it isn't Hawaii anymore, Colt. This is DC, you're the third string QB, and this is how it is.

I'm glad SOMEONE agrees with me that his attitude needed changing. No one in the Cult wanted to admit it and kept making excuses for the way he acted, with the talking about Campbell's contract to competing for the backup job to betting the DBs to pick him off.

Good to see you're realizing it isn't Hawaii anymore, Colt. This is DC, you're the third string QB, and this is how it is.

I think most of the people in Cult, including myself, actually enjoyed the moxie. Not sayin', just sayin'

Hopefully now Brennan knows his place.

If he can have a great game tomorrow, he won't be cut. I have a feeling if Brennan and Daniel tie, Brennan stays.

As a matter of fact, I think even if Daniel slightly beats Brennan, Brennan stays. Daniel would have to completely destroy him.

Who ever would have saw this coming before camp?
It's not that big a surprise.

Everybody was riding Colt's jock because they either didn't like Campbell flat out and wanted their pizza delivery guy to replace him if necessary, or the more delusional saw Brennan as this awesome gun-slinger with tons of "moxie" who just found ways to make plays.

Whether those Cultists believe it or not, Brennan had his fair share of criticism coming out of college and those critics are being proven correct so far going into this game against the Jags. Meanwhile Daniel has his own questions, but he had a really good college career himself while playing in the Big 12 and seems more ready for the pro game than Brennan did coming out of Hawaii.

I still think there's a better chance of Brennan staying as the 3rd string and Daniel going to the PS then Brennan getting cut and Daniel replacing him.

I remember Zorn saying last preseason that Colt needed to improve and that a number of his great plays could have easily gone the other way. That makes me wonder if Colt has regressed this preseason or if we are just seeing that Zorn assessed Colt correctly. At any rate, he has really not impressed given his chances.

Where has Chase Daniel been?

How many times has Chase been exposed in games this preseason? It is nice to play a couple series with success, but the longer you play the more likely you will make mistakes.

Does anybody else know that going in to tomorrow's game Chase Daniel only knows 80% of the offense.

Colt has made mistakes for sure, but he is the one running the whole offense and he is the one playing in every preseason game for all to pass judgement on.

Where has Chase been?

Colt has had 2 camps and played in 8 preseason games. Based on this I believe Colt, barring a disaster, is going to remain at #3 and Chase will be placed on the practice squad.

To think otherwise is maybe being wishful for personal reasons.

:logo:

I think unless Chase Daniel really puts on a show tomorrow that he'll make the PS and Colt will make the active roster again. I don't think it will be possible to stash Colt on the practice squad, given the splash he made last preseason. Chase looked very good in the limited action he saw, but I don't think it's enough for him to pop up on other teams' radar.

Colt just needs to show more caution in the red zone. He's still showing a lot of what people liked about him last year - namely, that perfect accuracy. JC is fairly accurate, but when Brennan is ON he will lay the ball in there in literally the PERFECT spot. That deep ball to Mitchell was an outstanding throw.

Colt is far from perfect. But, at best, I'm equally uncomfortable with him and Chase at this point. Since Chase has made less of a splash, put him on the practice squad and keep them both around for next year to see how they've improved.

Moxie and arrogance are two different things.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Moxie and confidence are different than assuming you'll eventually be the starter. To even bring up the fact that Campbell's contract is up and that he could potentially replace him undermines both his teammate and makes himself look bad.

You're a 6th round pick with a ton of question marks about your game that have become exacerbated due to poor preseason performance. Starting in the NFL isn't a given for everyone.

I remember Zorn saying last preseason that Colt needed to improve and that a number of his great plays could have easily gone the other way. That makes me wonder if Colt has regressed this preseason or if we are just seeing that Zorn assessed Colt correctly. At any rate, he has really not impressed given his chances.

No, the Cult will tell you that Zorn's coaching made Colt worse and that they should "let him do his thing". :doh:

Archived