Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN poll: Riggins vs. Portis.

RIPSean

too lazy to look it up, but I seem to remember in that 6-10 Gibbs year, we had the lead almost every single game. The D always surrendered a late touchdown. I'd say we lost a minimum of 75% of games where we had a lead in the fourth quarter. Mind you, it wasn't a big lead, but if we had a big lead a Riggo Drill wouldn't have been that important.

BTW, there's a reason we call it a Riggo Drill and not a Portis Drill ;)

and there's a reason that it doesn't work these days.... defenses are too good to just let you run the clock out like that.

Too many variables at play. Put Portis on the '82-'85 teams and I think we still win the SB. In fact, I think we win more than 1. Because I see CP showing up to play against the Raiders in SB XVIII.

Put Riggo on any of the modern Skins teams and I think we still don't make it to the SB.

Portis = better RB, Riggo = more accomplished

Portis will possibly eclipse Riggo as the all-time Redskins rusher by yards. But, many people will cite the lack of hardware against CP, but forget about his crushing pass pro as well.

Don't buy it. Defenses back then knew the running back was coming too. They just couldn't stop it.

mmmm.... okay.... say i give you that one.... now tell me what you think the outcome would be if portis had a line like the hogs.... look at the numbers he already has and mark them up 10%.... then tell me what you think

That's the fun of this kinda conversation. Who knows? Would Emmitt Smith have been a nobody if he didn't rush behind a stellar (ooh that hurts) Cowboy's line? The reason I think Portis may not have been all-world even behind the Hogs is his disdain for workouts, his hatred of pre-season, and his lack of off season discipline. Put him in a game and he's all out and gives you everything he has. And he has a lot. He has a huge heart, but I have to believe that some of that tailing off in the fourth is a result of the lack of endurance and strength that he failed to gain during the offseason (although I could be totally wrong about that). He's a guy that for a long time achieved based on natural ability and not hard work.

I think that is why he has failed us at the end of games or in short-yardage where will-power is almost everything.

This s*** is so dumb. Anyone who knows anything knows that the validity of this simply cannot be determined since they are not running behind the same line. It is simply conjecture and something that will never be resolved. Who cares if one is better than the other. Portis is the back we have now...either support him or shut up.

That's the fun of this kinda conversation. Who knows? Would Emmitt Smith have been a nobody if he didn't rush behind a stellar (ooh that hurts) Cowboy's line? The reason I think Portis may not have been all-world even behind the Hogs is his disdain for workouts, his hatred of pre-season, and his lack of off season discipline. Put him in a game and he's all out and gives you everything he has. And he has a lot. He has a huge heart, but I have to believe that some of that tailing off in the fourth is a result of the lack of endurance and strength that he failed to gain during the offseason (although I could be totally wrong about that). He's a guy that for a long time achieved based on natural ability and not hard work.

could be.... i'm just glad that we have someone as good as him on our team.... there's a lot of squads out there that would kill for a clinton portis.... most guys tap out after 1/3 of the career that he's already had

mmmm.... okay.... say i give you that one.... now tell me what you think the outcome would be if portis had a line like the hogs.... look at the numbers he already has and mark them up 10%.... then tell me what you think

Okay, Oldfan. Not sure where you pulled that number from.

I'm a fan of both-but CP is about CP. Riggins really cared about his linemen-played and partied with them-he became one of them and thereby motivated them to go above and beyond.

Portis says he knows nothing about Riggins. Well CP lissen' up!

Riggo spent Saturday at Arlington Hospital in traction-on Sunday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUtfX2IMetY

hail

well, he's been in the season for 7 years... 10% is only 900 yards... spread over seven years it comes out to about 130 to 150 yards a season (10 yards a game or less)... not really all that overblown... especially when you consider that his 2006 season he only got 523 yards b/c he was hurt.

Riggins. Superbowl trumps everything else. More, John carried this team on his back to ultimate glory. If the Redskins had to convert a 3rd and one or a fourth and one it was a done deal. If the Redskins needed to close out a game, they would hand the ball off to Riggins for five minutes straight and never punt. Portis has accumulated stats. He's nowhere near the football player Riggins was.

He's probably a more gifted athlete, but he's not close gamewise. You could put ten people in the box and Riggins found his way through. Portis is stopped when the team needs him way too often.

Have you watched Riggins' games recently? Or are you just saying this stuff out of nostalgia or from watching "Hogs Day Afternoon" over and over again?

I've seen Riggins stuffed on 3rd and 4th and 1 plenty of times. Dallas 1979 ring a bell. Dallas 1983. Plenty of times. It wasn't "automatic".

Too many times I've seen people pull stuff out of their ass and say things like it was fact.

You are talking about the MYTH of John Riggins. Reality was very different.

He did not always carry the Redskins on his back and kill the last 5 min of the game and guess what, Clinton did the same thing last year in Dallas and in Philly when he had the Oline play nearly as well as the Hogs.

I've watched John Riggins run alot over the last few years as I've transferred games to DVD and to Hard drives. I'm talking a total of over 50 of his games. Not an NFL puff piece on a Skins DVD like most people, but the actual games. That is what I go on and without a doubt, Clinton Portis is a better athlete. A better runner. A better overall player. No contest.

Have you watched Riggins' games recently? Or are you just saying this stuff out of nostalgia or from watching "Hogs Day Afternoon" over and over again?

I've seen Riggins stuffed on 3rd and 4th and 1 plenty of times. Dallas 1979 ring a bell. Dallas 1983. Plenty of times. It wasn't "automatic".

Too many times I've seen people pull stuff out of their ass and say things like it was fact.

You are talking about the MYTH of John Riggins. Reality was very different.

He did not always carry the Redskins on his back and kill the last 5 min of the game and guess what, Clinton did the same thing last year in Dallas and in Philly when he had the Oline play nearly as well as the Hogs.

I've watched John Riggins run alot over the last few years as I've transferred games to DVD and to Hard drives. I'm talking a total of over 50 of his games. Not an NFL puff piece on a Skins DVD like most people, but the actual games. That is what I go on and without a doubt, Clinton Portis is a better athlete. A better runner. A better overall player. No contest.

thank you... i don't know why others can't see it.... maybe it's natural for a fan base to go through this when it's all time record holders are to be surpassed?

i'm not detracting from riggo at all... he will always be a redskins legend.... but portis is a better athlete and will finish his career with better numbers...

Superbowl MVP, outstanding playoffs performances, a ring, all time records. Clinton Portis has none of these things.

Single season statistics are for people who never accomplished something for their city other than being a good player.

I grew up LOVING John Riggins.. but i have to say that, like Portis said, Riggo had a flat out better team around him....

Riggins:

Arguably the best offensive line in the HISTORY of the NFL

Hall of Fame QB

Hall of Fame Coaches

Might not seem like much, but you have to take into account that it was a WHOLE different league when Riggo was carrying the ball.

Portis:

Struggling O-line, hit as hard as ANY unit with injury and cycling of players

Struggling QBs

Constant rotation of Offensive Systems

Riggins. Superbowl trumps everything else. More, John carried this team on his back to ultimate glory. If the Redskins had to convert a 3rd and one or a fourth and one it was a done deal. If the Redskins needed to close out a game, they would hand the ball off to Riggins for five minutes straight and never punt. Portis has accumulated stats. He's nowhere near the football player Riggins was.

He's probably a more gifted athlete, but he's not close gamewise. You could put ten people in the box and Riggins found his way through. Portis is stopped when the team needs him way too often.

Yes.

Here's the thing. If that o-line was good enough to help get that 4th quarter lead, then it was good enough if they and Portis are determined enough to execute a Riggo drill.

Running in the fourth quarter is where backs are made. Riggins almost never let us down. Portis frequently has. He's taken down by the first guy way, way too often to be compared to Riggins. John would run through the first guy, bulldoze his own linemen when he had to, and just could never be stopped not when it really mattered, not when they needed him to close out the game or get that third and short.

Three and outs in the fourth are just way to common with Portis as our premier back. If he's to be put into that ultra elite category, then you can't make excuses for him. He has to come through.

Sure, he did. But it doesn't matter. If you want to talk about wheter Portis is GREAT he's got to get it done. This team takes the lead into the first half and falls apart in the second and loses the game in the fourth. That's where a great player takes over. Portis had one stretch where he did that. Riggins owned the fourth.

The question is whether Portis is greater than Riggins. You can't say he is on the basis of a thousand excuses. Barry Sanders played with a offensive line that made last year's look impenitrable. He played with no o-line for nearly ten years. If Portis is GREAT, you can't make excuses for him. He has to get it done. When the game counts far too often Portis has failed to get it done.

I actually like him a lot, he's an incredible blocker and a good runner, but in the end, Portis is only a good running back and is not one of the GREATS. Riggins was one of the GREATS.

Burgold wins.

What a completely asinine question to ask lol...who's the better "All-time" running back? The guy currently playing or a Hall Of Famer? Might as well have asked "who's the better white running back" lol...

The fact that Portis is that close to Riggins in terms of votes, though, speaks volumes about Portis' talent and production.

disagree untill somebody replies to Scruffys post.

I'm also waiting for somebody to tell me that Riggo wasn't anymore then a flamboyant Larry Csonka with a better O line. :whoknows:

Riggins elevated his game in the playoffs...to a significant degree. He was rather average during the season, though...you take his regular season production and it doesn't stand out very much. And, yes, I watched every game that Riggins played in lol...I saw how he could be a monster at times on the field, but those times weren't NEARLY as often as some of us romanticize. Even during his best year in terms of playoff games, during the regular season he wasn't dominant...the regular season MVP was Mark Mosely, a field goal kicker lol...you can't be said to be a dominant running back that year if a field goal kicker is seen as being more productive and helping the team win more than you did.

But his playoff production trumps all of that in my eyes...and it's his playoff production that got him into the HOF. Riggins became dominant in the postseason.

that's an easy one, Portis has to work miracles most of the time just to get back to the line of scrimmage. Just as soomeone also mentioned how Portis' performance going down late in the game is a sign of his conditioning or off-season performance... ANY RB getting beat down all game getting hit before he gets back to the line would be struggling at the end too...

"Riggo" couldn't carry CP's jockstrap

Archived