Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN poll: Riggins vs. Portis.

RIPSean

Riggins. Superbowl trumps everything else. More, John carried this team on his back to ultimate glory. If the Redskins had to convert a 3rd and one or a fourth and one it was a done deal. If the Redskins needed to close out a game, they would hand the ball off to Riggins for five minutes straight and never punt. Portis has accumulated stats. He's nowhere near the football player Riggins was.

He's probably a more gifted athlete, but he's not close gamewise. You could put ten people in the box and Riggins found his way through. Portis is stopped when the team needs him way too often.

Riggins. Superbowl trumps everything else. More, John carried this team on his back to ultimate glory. If the Redskins had to convert a 3rd and one or a fourth and one it was a done deal. If the Redskins needed to close out a game, they would hand the ball off to Riggins for five minutes straight and never punt. Portis has accumulated stats. He's nowhere near the football player Riggins was.

He's probably a more gifted athlete, but he's not close gamewise. You could put ten people in the box and Riggins found his way through. Portis is stopped when the team needs him way too often.

Portis is my favorite player in the NFL, but I think this was one of the better assesments I've read on this topic. Although I unfortunately am a little too young to remember well his legacy, I agree with your points.

Seriously though, TJ. How many fourth quarter leads have the Redskins blown while Portis has been here. When it's time for the running back to take over the game, Portis can't.

I know that. I haven't stated my opinion on this yet.

I just have a hunch here. I'm not saying everyone would vote along those lines. Not at all.

But I think you can see the logic in the theory.

I'm sure you're right. I can imagine how great Sammy Baugh or Sonny J was, but never having seen, felt, heard it live it just isn't the same. I remember a few years ago when people were saying that Champ was a better cb than D Green. Even at 40, D Green was about on par with the guy on the field. People love who they know and who they have spent time rooting for.

I'm sure you're right. I can imagine how great Sammy Baugh or Sonny J was, but never having seen, felt, heard it live it just isn't the same. I remember a few years ago when people were saying that Champ was a better cb than D Green. Even at 40, D Green was about on par with the guy on the field. People love who they know and who they have spent time rooting for.

You're on fire. That's spot on. Us younger fans never really got to experience the legends. We're stuck comparing Portis to Stephen Davis.

Superbowl MVP, outstanding playoffs performances, a ring, all time records. Clinton Portis has none of these things.

Single season statistics are for people who never accomplished something for their city other than being a good player.

I couldn't have said it better.

Superbowl MVP, outstanding playoffs performances, a ring, all time records. Clinton Portis has none of these things.

Single season statistics are for people who never accomplished something for their city other than being a good player.

well, portis may take down riggos all time record this year.... if he picks up a ring with our team would you change your tune?

is it portis or the oline?

Yes.

Here's the thing. If that o-line was good enough to help get that 4th quarter lead, then it was good enough if they and Portis are determined enough to execute a Riggo drill.

Running in the fourth quarter is where backs are made. Riggins almost never let us down. Portis frequently has. He's taken down by the first guy way, way too often to be compared to Riggins. John would run through the first guy, bulldoze his own linemen when he had to, and just could never be stopped not when it really mattered, not when they needed him to close out the game or get that third and short.

Three and outs in the fourth are just way to common with Portis as our premier back. If he's to be put into that ultra elite category, then you can't make excuses for him. He has to come through.

Yes.

Here's the thing. If that o-line was good enough to help get that 4th quarter lead, then it was good enough if they and Portis are determined enough to execute a Riggo drill.

Running in the fourth quarter is where backs are made. Riggins almost never let us down. Portis frequently has. He's taken down by the first guy way, way too often to be compared to Riggins. John would run through the first guy, bulldoze his own linemen when he had to, and just could never be stopped not when it really mattered, not when they needed him to close out the game or get that third and short.

Three and outs in the fourth are just way to common with Portis as our premier back. If he's to be put into that ultra elite category, then you can't make excuses for him. He has to come through.

you don't think riggo benefited from running behind the hogs?

Sure, he did. But it doesn't matter. If you want to talk about wheter Portis is GREAT he's got to get it done. This team takes the lead into the first half and falls apart in the second and loses the game in the fourth. That's where a great player takes over. Portis had one stretch where he did that. Riggins owned the fourth.

The question is whether Portis is greater than Riggins. You can't say he is on the basis of a thousand excuses. Barry Sanders played with a offensive line that made last year's look impenitrable. He played with no o-line for nearly ten years. If Portis is GREAT, you can't make excuses for him. He has to get it done. When the game counts far too often Portis has failed to get it done.

I actually like him a lot, he's an incredible blocker and a good runner, but in the end, Portis is only a good running back and is not one of the GREATS. Riggins was one of the GREATS.

btw what is the percentege of this team going into the fourth quarter with a lead? Can't blow it if we don't have it going into the 4th quarter

very true... and you can't put it all on portis anyways... i think we all have seen what happens these days if a team ONLY runs to protect a lead... defenses are WAY too savvy these days to let you do that....

it's a new era where you have to go for the jugular, not just try to run out the clock

btw what is the percentege of this team going into the fourth quarter with a lead? Can't blow it if we don't have it going into the 4th quarter

too lazy to look it up, but I seem to remember in that 6-10 Gibbs year, we had the lead almost every single game. The D always surrendered a late touchdown. I'd say we lost a minimum of 75% of games where we had a lead in the fourth quarter. Mind you, it wasn't a big lead, but if we had a big lead a Riggo Drill wouldn't have been that important.

BTW, there's a reason we call it a Riggo Drill and not a Portis Drill ;)

Sure, he did. But it doesn't matter. If you want to talk about wheter Portis is GREAT he's got to get it done. This team takes the lead into the first half and falls apart in the second and loses the game in the fourth. That's where a great player takes over. Portis had one stretch where he did that. Riggins owned the fourth.

The question is whether Portis is greater than Riggins. You can't say he is on the basis of a thousand excuses. Barry Sanders played with a offensive line that made last year's look impenitrable. He played with no o-line for nearly ten years. If Portis is GREAT, you can't make excuses for him. He has to get it done. When the game counts far too often Portis has failed to get it done.

I actually like him a lot, he's an incredible blocker and a good runner, but in the end, Portis is only a good running back and is not one of the GREATS. Riggins was one of the GREATS.

i think time will tell... it's like i've said before... if portis gets 3600 more yards in his career he is in the same league as eric dickerson who made the HOF with no rings.... think about it....

Archived