Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Mason already made the roster?

rtandler

http://realredskins.com/2009/08/has-mason-already-made-it.html

Did a slip on the tongue on the part of Sherman Smith tip off a key roster decision?

Jason Reid recounted a conversation with Smith, the Washington Redskins offensive coordinator, in his Redskins Insider blog. The subject was Clinton Portis and his relative lack of production in the preseason. Here is what Smith said to Reid:

Click the link above to read the rest of the story?

I just saw this too. Here's the quote he's referring to.

"Might as well not be concerned about it, because it is what it is," Smith said. "[Portis] hasn't gotten a lot of reps this offseason, but he usually doesn't. It's just one of those situations where you say, 'Hey, let's see how it works out.' What we're doing is we're just trying to get ready, inevitably. If he does go down, Ladell, Rock, Marcus -- those guys will be ready to play."

A revealing slip by Smith??

That being said, Danny Smith was rather bearish on Mason as a special teamer.

http://blog.redskins.com/2009/08/30/sunday-august-30-five-players-released/#continued

Good start, but Smith continued, "Marcus Mason has never played in an NFL football game, and he's been on three teams. Let's not name him MVP today. Okay? He's never played in an NFL football game. He's been on three teams! It ain't all about does he gotta make a tackle on special teams. And the kid has never played special teams, and he's never played in a real game."

Good start, but Smith continued, "Marcus Mason has never played in an NFL football game, and he's been on three teams. Let's not name him MVP today. Okay? He's never played in an NFL football game. He's been on three teams! It ain't all about does he gotta make a tackle on special teams. And the kid has never played special teams, and he's never played in a real game."

Wooh, that quote is stone cold. By the way, does anyone know why Mason doesn't play teams? Does he refuse to do so? Does he suck at it? What's the deal?

Wooh, that quote is stone cold. By the way, does anyone know why Mason doesn't play teams? Does he refuse to do so? Does he suck at it? What's the deal?

Probably should read the link. Smith says that he has gotten better, but he still needs to make plays.

The problem with taking the word of a position coach is that they aren't the final word if a guy makes the roster or not. A week or two ago, Blache pretty much said that Wilson had made the team in his eyes, but that doesn't mean he will be on the team when final cuts come down.

We've got some real tough decisions ahead of us. I honestly was shocked to see Mason come in as the no. 2 against the Pats. I felt like that was the coaches challenging him to take Betts' spot. Very interesting.

What's unfortunate is that when it's all said and done, it seems like at least two of three young RBs we've got (Mason, Alridge, and Dorsey) won't be on the team next week. It could be all three.

We've got some real tough decisions ahead of us. I honestly was shocked to see Mason come in as the no. 2 against the Pats. I felt like that was the coaches challenging him to take Betts' spot. Very interesting.

What's unfortunate is that when it's all said and done, it seems like at least two of three young RBs we've got (Mason, Alridge, and Dorsey) won't be on the team next week. It could be all three.

We aren't going to get rid of Betts or Cartwright, and we probably aren't going to keep more than 5 WRs. That means for Mason/Aldridge/Dorsey to make the team, they'll have to go with just 9 OL. That's a dicey call, Bugel said they'd probably go with 10 but you never know.

What I want to happen is for us to turn to the draft in '09 to get another runningback. I want an elite change of pace back that can allow us to let go of Betts. Keep an eye on guys C.J. Spiller and Jahvid Best this season. If you think the buzz going around about Dorsey/Aldridge is fever-pitched, it would be insane if we got a truly elite prospect like Best next year.

I would hope so. I really like Mason, much more than I do with what Betts has become. Betts Pre-2006 I liked a lot, but since then, after his contract he's seem to have gotten weaker and likes to get stood up rather than fighting for yards. Not saying there aren't plays where he does well, but just rushing wise I think Mason is better than Betts.

Steve, not saying he'll turn pro as I think he's a junior this year, but what about a Speedy guy like Noel Devine for that role? Probably could be had in the 4th, 5th, or even 6th round depending on how he fairs this year?

O man Devine is scary fast.

Well Mason was on the Jets last year....So I can understand why he could not make a roster spot when they had Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, and Jesse Chatman.

Then he was on the Ravens practice squad...I can definitely understand why he did not make that roster.

Yeah we have Portis...but Marcus Mason is undoubtedly the 2nd best RB we have right now. It is something going on in Redskins camp that I do not like if ballers like Mason and Mitchell do not make this squad. Betts or Cartright has no damn business on this Roster in my opinion...If I had to make the decision, it would be....

1. Portis

2. Mason

3. Aldridge (Dorsey fumbles too much and Aldridge is faster)

Archived