Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question for all GPS users (obtaining satellite question)

heyholetsgogrant

Recently within the last few months my Garmin Nuvi 350 is taking upwards of 15-20 minutes to establish a satillite connection. I have done everything from a reset, factory reset, and new updates. Currently, I work at Costco and I've been taking to quite a few people lately who have been having the same problems with their GPS (not brand specific either). Is anyone else having the same problem of obtaining satellites? I did read somwhere a few week back we are running out of GPS space on out current satellites in space.

I had the same problem with the Nuvi. After a while, I got a message at the top of the screen saying "GPS is off" and I was never able to use it after that. Not sure what the problem is but it definitely took way too long to find a signal.

I picked up a Magellan a little while ago and no problems so far with that. I'd check it out.

Do you leave it in the cradle at all times? Mine always takes about 10 minutes if I take it out of the cradle but if I leave it in place it will find the satellites almost instantly. I have a Garmin too.

I take it off the window suction cup and keep it in the glove compartment if im not using it. The Nuvi 350 has a odd antenna that you have to pop up everytime you use it; it's about 3 years old.

My girl has one that needs to be updated. Grant or whomever, can you lead me in the right direction to do that. I don't know the model number, it is a Garmin, her Mother bought it for her last christmas.

Not trying to hijack, just thought maybe someone could help. Thanks.

My girl has one that needs to be updated. Grant or whomever, can you lead me in the right direction to do that. I don't know the model number, it is a Garmin, her Mother bought it for her last christmas.

Not trying to hijack, just thought maybe someone could help. Thanks.

In order to update your garmin GPS, you need to download the garmin webupdater to your computer. This software you install on you computer will automatically know what device you have and what updates it needs. Here is the website to do so:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

BTW you will need a USB cable.

-Grant

Archived