Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Campbell Should Play The Entire Game Against Steelers

Gregpeck99

We need to know if Jason has the "right stuf." What better way to prove it than by beating up on scrubs.

Jason only has to prove he has the right stuff during the regular season and has no obligation to show anything to anyone during the preseason. This isnt a qb battle to see if he is the starting qb. He already is the starting qb because hes past the level of being able to whip on scrubs and all he has to do now is be able to play against starting caliber defenses. And what happens if Campbell throws 6 tds for 500 yards nex game. What will that do...make u believe hes a good qb or that he is ok...and then everybody would just say..its only preaseason!!! Hes already whipped on scrubs in the past so that would be just dumb, just wait until the regular season.

We need to know if Jason has the "right stuf."

You and I and most intelligent people without a stake in his personal success know the answer already.

But JC cannot play the entire game, though I think it would be interesting. We need TC and Colt to play as much as possible so when either one takes over after our Bye Week, they'll be better prepared.

Besides, you know that if JC played horribly against the Steelers 5th stringers we'd only hear excuses like he was playing with back up linemen and WRs etc. So, we'd need to play the entire starting offense for the whole game.

Hail,

H

Play him until we score or until halftime. Whichever comes first.

Unfortunately that would be the whole game IMO.

I am all for let him play a lot as long as Todd gets to do the same with the first team in game 3. If you are against that you aren't for fair competition and don't care if we have the best QB behind center, period.

I think he should get the first half.

I don't see why people think its a good idea to rest the starters after two series. They have no other time to prepare against live competition that isn't from their own team in a practice setting before the first game. I understand that they're paranoid about injuries but that seems to come at the expense of getting fully prepared.

Don't keep it vanilla either. You don't get ready for a chess tournament by playing checkers.

Bingo.

These guys need to get the rust off and get in gear for the regular season. To do that, they have to simulate a regular season game as much as possible. Keep the starters in for a half and try to score, not just run out the clock and pray for no injuries. The preseason needs to be utilized for the tool that it is and not wasted or we'll come out flat week 1 just like last year.

Unfortunately that would be the whole game IMO.

I am all for let him play a lot as long as Todd gets to do the same with the first team in game 3. If you are against that you aren't for fair competition and don't care if we have the best QB behind center, period.

Wow. Ok, here is the reality of the situation. There. Is. No. QB. Competition. Whether you like it or not, JC is the starter. Zorn thinks he is the best option and his opinion is what matters, not random people on a message board. You can either deal with the reality of the situation or keep whining about a "fair competition". Its your choice, obviously, but your schpiel is getting a bit old by now.

Wow. Ok, here is the reality of the situation. There. Is. No. QB. Competition. Whether you like it or not, JC is the starter. Zorn thinks he is the best option and his opinion is what matters, not random people on a message board. You can either deal with the reality of the situation or keep whining about a "fair competition". Its your choice, obviously, but your schpiel is getting a bit old by now.

Unless your name is Zorn or Snyder that is speculation, period.

You can do one of two things, either let me post my OPINION just like you do or ignore me. It's not hard trust me best I ignore what you call a sig every time I read a post of yours.

Unless your name is Zorn or Snyder that is speculation, period.

You can do one of two things, either let me post my OPINION just like you do or ignore me. It's not hard trust me best I ignore what you call a sig every time I read a post of yours.

So when Zorn has said that JC is definitely the starter and the only competition is for the backup (or now the 3rd string) position he is just lying and secretly has some ulterior motive? Give me a break. And I never said you can't post your "opinion". I just said that your whole thing gets a bit old. Same stuff over and over again. You don't like my sig??? Now you've really broken my heart.

So when Zorn has said that JC is definitely the starter and the only competition is for the backup (or now the 3rd string) position he is just lying and secretly has some ulterior motive? Give me a break. And I never said you can't post your "opinion". I just said that your whole thing gets a bit old. Same stuff over and over again. You don't like my sig??? Now you've really broken my heart.

No I don't but that is just an opinion nothing more. maybe you don't like mine and that's your choice. As for Zorn I know how it works inside and you probably don't (maybe you do) he is walking the company line but the Jason line is VERY thin and it won't take much to all of a sudden change. The last thing Jason supporters should want is for him to play a lot in preseason because it opens him up to be demoted.

lol.. it's preseason. Get over it. What is the good in JC playing with 3rd stringers? Nadda.

It's threads like this that make us look like morons.

In speaking for yourself, you covered it. For others, not so much.

Why shouldn't JC play with whatever string is on the field? Isn't it obvious that he could use the practice? Why not keep other first teamers in as well? Our offense was the problem last year and has been for a while now......why not give them every chance to build chemistry and practice in game situations?

The idea of playing any starter for 4 quarters in a pre season game just doesn't make much, if any sense to me (I'm trying to be nice and respect someone's opinion :) )

I'm a fan of JC, and I think he deserves, at the very least, this entire season as the starter for the organization to judge whether he is the QB of the future in Washington or not.

Point is, you can say what you want about how you think JC is going to do this year, but playing your starting QB for 4 quarters of a pre season game is a ridiculous idea...say JC does play really well and then gets hurt two quarters into the game? Would that make all the JC critics relax then?

And for everyone calling for someone else on the Skins to start this season, which of the backups would you prefer? Because last time I checked zero Redskins QB's led a scoring drive vs. Baltimore, and that includes Collins and Colt who both faced backups/camp fodder players. :2cents:

I say that he plays the fist quarter and possibly half of the second if needed but no more than that. I think that the game against New England and Jacksonville are the games that Campbell needs to play more in because that will be the games we will know who is going to be on the squad or on the bubble. The first two are just for evaluation of the backups and nothing more. So Campbell will have plenty of opportunity in the last two games to prove his worth of lack there of.

Why shouldn't JC play with whatever string is on the field? Isn't it obvious that he could use the practice? Why not keep other first teamers in as well? Our offense was the problem last year and has been for a while now......why not give them every chance to build chemistry and practice in game situations?

So Clinton Portis/Randy Thomas/ any other offensive starter don't blow out their knee in a preseason game like has happened over the past three years? What you call "building chemistry and practicing" typically occurs in practice which happens everyday, over a span of a month until the regular season....

So Clinton Portis/Randy Thomas/ any other offensive starter don't blow out their knee in a preseason game like has happened over the past three years? What you call "building chemistry and practicing" typically occurs in practice which happens everyday, over a span of a month until the regular season....

How many guys have had hamstring issues in camp that have bothered them over the course of the season these past few years? Does that mean you stop practicing?

**** happens in the NFL. Yeah, you do your best to avoid it, but you don't let it hamper your preparation when that's needed. To follow your logic, why should the starters take any snaps at all in a preseason game? I mean, all they risk is getting hurt, right? They should sit out every preseason game.....hell, so should the second team.

Thats the only way JC should play, with first stringers. As long as they are in there when he is, it's productive. Otherwise it becomes just another practice against people you've never seen before. If the first stringers are in there as well, then it becomes a game situation, which is what matters.

:saber:

Thats the only way JC should play, with first stringers. As long as they are in there when he is, it's productive. Otherwise it becomes just another practice against people you've never seen before. If the first stringers are in there as well, then it becomes a game situation, which is what matters.

:saber:

I'd prefer it to be with the first team, but honestly I think he needs all the reps he can get in live game situations.

How many guys have had hamstring issues in camp that have bothered them over the course of the season these past few years? Does that mean you stop practicing?

**** happens in the NFL. Yeah, you do your best to avoid it, but you don't let it hamper your preparation when that's needed. To follow your logic, why should the starters take any snaps at all in a preseason game? I mean, all they risk is getting hurt, right? They should sit out every preseason game.....hell, so should the second team.

Nah, I just said the starters shouldn't play all four quarters. And when players do have hamstring issues a lot of them do miss a couple practices. And yea, a lot of **** happens in the NFL which is why you minimize the amount of opportunities players have to get injured until the regular season, hence why playing starters for 4 quarters of a preseason game does not have much of a purpose. Not to mention the starters would be playing against backups they would not face in the regular season. What good would that do?

I think this is a good idea. It does not appear to me that JC is ready, and it does not look like he made any improvement from last year. For the second year in a row, we were lied to about his off-season improvement.

I'd like him to get as much work possible so that we can have information to base our decision on as far as playing him. Maybe the extra work will help, so that would be good. It couldn't hurt.

I really don't understand why starters don't play more in preseason. Maybe the last preseason game, give your starters only one or two series, or the night off, to rest them for the first real game. But you're sacrificing the best chance you have to objectively evaluate and prepare your team, before the season starts. Worst case scenario, you have a starter injured, you still give the other 10 starters more prep time, more time to work together.

For the most part, the good teams survive injuries. Yeah the Patriots missed the playoffs when Brady went down. They went what 11-5? The freakish thing was they didn't make the playoffs with that record.

I think this is a good idea. It does not appear to me that JC is ready, and it does not look like he made any improvement from last year. For the second year in a row, we were lied to about his off-season improvement.

You reached this conclusion after watching him make 6 pass attempts while missing his two best playmakers and half his O line?

Jason went 3-6 for 38 yards.....Ben Roethlisberger went 6-10 for 53 yds, Kurt Warner went 4-6 for 33 yards, and Peyton Manning went 1-2 for 6 yards. All three QB's had similar outings in their first preseason game. I guess they all got worse and are on Jason's level now? My point isn't that Jason is as good as those three QB's, I'm just saying judging a guy on 6 pass attempts in a preseason game.... minus Kyle Orton throwing 3 picks in 3 possessions.... is ludicrous.

The "dead elephant" on the living room floor this pre-season is the status of Jason Campbell. Contract year, gong for Cutler, and Samuels saying "he only has 6 games" are some of the factors underming confidence in Jason and probably the entire team. His status has become a huge unnecessary distraction.

I have an idea on how to get rid of this "burning issue" once and for all. Put Mr. Campbell to the "ultimate test" ... let him play all 4 quarters against the Steelers next weekend. He will get plenty of reps ... and face both starters and scrubs so no one can say he didn't have a fair chance. Based upon his performance in such a game a true measure of his "improvement" can be guaged. The FO then can make a credible decision on JC's future.

Do you think Campbell should play 4 quarters against the "Steel Curtain" to find out for real how good he is? Or, do you think he should play less next weekend ... and if so, how many quarters should Jason play, and why?

Playing against the Superbowl champs...is fair? with this team:chair:

Archived