Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Newsday: Haynesworth says Giants wanted him

GhostofSparta

Per Bubba in Breaking News...

Haynesworth says Giants wanted him

http://www.newsday.com/columnists/bob-glauber/haynesworth-says-giants-wanted-him-1.1363700 (sorry about the link guys, that's what I get for doing this after a long day at work :silly:)

August 11, 2009 By BOB GLAUBER

The Redskins' morning practice in blistering temperatures and high humidity has just ended, and Albert Haynesworth walks off the field. The sweat is pouring down his head as he carries his helmet. Yet the conditions do nothing to wipe away his smile.

At 28, and only six months after signing a seven-year, $100-million contract, life is good. Very good. It'll take more than stifling heat to ruin his sense of contentment. Not even the pressure of having to live up to the richest contract ever given to a defensive player is weighing him down.

"The only pressure I feel is the pressure I put on myself," Haynesworth said. "The dollar amount doesn't have anything to do with what I do on the field."

The 6-6, 340-pound Haynesworth was clearly the most coveted defensive player on the open market, and the Redskins came out the big winners after a brief yet frantic bidding war. Just hours into free agency, the Redskins beat out the Bucs and Giants for the impact tackle.

Once the Giants realized the bidding would get into the stratosphere of nine figures, they quickly dropped out. But Haynesworth admits he was intrigued by their interest. The Giants wound up signing free-agent defensive linemen Chris Canty and Rocky Bernard.

"I was shocked they wanted me," Haynesworth said of the Giants. "I didn't know how that would fly."

Haynesworth wasn't quite certain how he'd mesh with Tom Coughlin. After all, when Haynesworth came into the draft in 2002, he was strongly considered by Coughlin when he was coaching Jacksonville. A phone call from Coughlin the day before the draft left Haynesworth somewhat confused.

"I spent three or four hours on the phone with him the day before the draft," Haynesworth said. "He kept asking me these questions that didn't quite make sense to me. He's like, 'OK, if I ask you to do something and you know it's the wrong thing to do, what are you going to do?' So I'm like, 'Well, I'll do the right thing.' And he said, 'No, do what I say.' We kind of clashed at the time. I said, 'Yeah, I don't need to go to Jacksonville.' "

Clink link for the rest.

Imagine a line with Osi, Tuck, Kiwi, and Haynesworth? (Shudders) I think all of our QBs would become spontaneously injured during the week.

We would get about 2.5 yards per game against that line. What a joke that line would have been against our Doh-line. :doh:

In that respect, this $100M was a good investment! Even if the guy spends 3-4 games a year on the sideline, at least we have a chance against the Giants. I think Dallas and Philly should pitch in also! They would have to keep 8 guys in to block, too.

Sorry but I think it's more like "Giants couldn't PAY me the amount the Skins would"

They knew they were going to be paying Eli an insane amount this summer.

edit: also this makes me wonder about Zorn being a "pushover" if there is any credit to what AH said.. Even though

a guy who stomps a player while he's on the ground hardly strikes me as someone who is going to do

"what's right"...

Sorry but I think it's more like "Giants couldn't PAY me the amount the Skins would"

edit: also this makes me wonder about Zorn being a "pushover" if there is any credit to what AH said.. Even though

a guy who stomps a player while he's on the ground hardly strikes me as someone who is going to do

"what's right"...

Who said that wasn't the case?

Neither of us know the guy btw.

They knew they were going to be paying Eli an insane amount this summer.

"what's right"...

...Ummm, you be making too much out of this.

Archived