Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kicking Situation

Gibbsisgod2006

Suisham right now and not the offensive line is the blind spot on the team.

In 2007 and 2008 the Redskins played a lot of close games and the decline in Suisham's performance in 2008 is in large measure a reason why the 2008 team didn't make the playoffs.

The OL struggled down the stretch, but consider what a win over St. Louis in mid-season and in the second Dallas game would have meant to this team morale-wise.

Looking back missed field goals also cost this team early chances against the Bengals.

Even with all the warts this team could have been 10-5 entering the final week against San Francisco instead of 8-7.

The OL struggled down the stretch, but consider what a win over St. Louis in mid-season and in the second Dallas game would have meant to this team morale-wise.

Yes, Suisham has struggled and if he gets beat this preseason by Rayner, then he should be shown the door immediately; however, did you completely skip over my response to the statement you made that I underlined and made bold? I already told you in post #6 that Suisham can't be blamed for the St. Louis game he did not miss a FG, you need to let that game go, or chalk that horrible loss up to Kendall or Torrence.

You don't think a real nfl kicker is important, too?

one thing at a time. i believe in suish a lot more than i believe in the revolving door at punter we've had. with a good defense and a ball control offense, i think a punter is pretty darn important.

suish was good two years ago iirc

After so many years, I have forgotten that some teams have reliable, consistent kickers. I am so used to holding my breath and cringing every time the field goal team comes out. In fact, my trust has been so shattered that even if we had Akers back right now, I would probably still cringe and cover my eyes. That being said, I hope the majority of the time I see whoever ends up being named the kicker this year it is inside the 10 yard line and is only kicking for one point.

Vanderjagt had a dismal preseason. He suffered a groin injury that kept him out of action for two weeks. He returned in the final preseason game against the Minnesota Vikings. In that game, he missed two field goals in overtime of 32 and 33 yards (both misses were wide right), forcing the game to end in a tie. Rumors quickly spread that Vanderjagt would be released by the Cowboys before the regular season began. However, he remained with the team. He was replaced by back-up kicker Shaun Suisham in the first game of the season against Jacksonville, but appeared in each of the Cowboys' subsequent games through Week 12. In Week 9, his potential game-winning field goal was blocked by the Washington Redskins as time expired. In Week 11 against his former team, the Colts, he missed his only two field goal attempts, (both of these misses were also wide right) making it the first time since 2001 since he had done so. The fans were so upset, they booed a commercial he appeared in on stadium monitors. On November 27, 2006, Vanderjagt was released by the Cowboys and replaced by Martín Gramática.

i think you're living off of his past. as a redskins fan i wish he would have stayed with dallas, and that's not a compliment.

I've never quite understood why the league as a whole has gotten away from QB's as holders.

The thinking is twofold:

1. The Punter has to handle long snaps for a living, so he's already halfway there.

2. More importantly, he can spend literally all practice every practice with the kicker, working on timing and technique. Even the third string QB can't devote that much time.

Not all NFL teams do this, of course. I believe we all enjoyed the fairly recent failure of a QB holder. ;)

Ah, good memories. Was Romo sits to pee still the backup at that time, or had he been bumped to starter by then?

I'm almost positive he started that game, but he was only still holding because he had just been promoted a bit earlier that year.

He was the golden boy starter...pro bowl bound. Not to be rue but..how could you not know that?

Well I didn't think Bledsoe had gotten them to the playoffs, but it's so rare to see even a backup QB holding for a kicker, that I didn't think the starter would be doing so. Bit of a brain-fart on my end.

No way in hell!he missed a 13 yard FG in the NFC conf game,aginst seattle,after we recovered a fumble :doh: he is a bum

the guy holding the ball,WAS JIM ZORN DUMB AZZ FAULT,why have a PUNTER hold the ball?a punter that told you he has never done it before..Brooks was nice,he only needs a good coach to put some confidence in him!Always have a backup QB to hold ,keeps other teams honest...can never know if the fake is coming:doh:

It would be foolhardy to think EITHER player is going to morph into Mark Moseley or Adam Vinatieri for the Redskins in 2009.

Why the hell do people hold up Mark Moseley as some kind of example for young kickers to aspire to? I'm aware that he made some big kicks for us, but guess what his career Field Goal% was.

65.6% for his career. 6-7% worse than Suisham was last year. Kicking was different back then, I'll admit, but can we stop using him as an example, please? He was 12 for 42 from beyond 50 in his career, and barely 50% (84 for 159) from 40-49.

All of his percentages are here if you want to look.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/moselmar01.htm

Good thing we cut David Akers way back when...it's not like he ever did anything...

Thank you! We have been too quick to cut young guys here. Kickers generally take a while to develop, like WRs. Imagine, if we had only held onto Akers for another year, the last decade would consist of 1 kicker. Instead, we have had seventy billion kickers, sometimes 3 per season.

So yeah, let's kick Suisam to the curb and try another young unproven kicker. And then call for his head when he misses a few his first couple years. And cut him. And try another young, unproven kicker. and call for his head.....

See a pattern?

Annnnnnnd

The worst showing of Vanderjagt's CAREER was about the same as Swishys performance last season.

Exactly. I'd find it hard to believe Vanderjagt would be WORSE. Sooner or later you know some one is going to take a chance on the guy. I'm not saying throw a contract at the guy, but why not at least bring him into camp and see what's what? Boggles the mind.

Thank you! We have been too quick to cut young guys here. Kickers generally take a while to develop, like WRs. Imagine, if we had only held onto Akers for another year, the last decade would consist of 1 kicker. Instead, we have had seventy billion kickers, sometimes 3 per season.

So yeah, let's kick Suisam to the curb and try another young unproven kicker. And then call for his head when he misses a few his first couple years. And cut him. And try another young, unproven kicker. and call for his head.....

See a pattern?

I'm with you, totally, but the problem with Suish is the guy's leg strength is CLEARLY an issue. Holder or no holder, the man does not have an NFL caliber leg. End of argument. We cut Akers prematurely, no doubt, but leg strength back then was never the issue. Big, big difference.

Exactly. I'd find it hard to believe Vanderjagt would be WORSE. Sooner or later you know some one is going to take a chance on the guy. I'm not saying throw a contract at the guy, but why not at least bring him into camp and see what's what? Boggles the mind.

I'm with you, totally, but the problem with Suish is the guy's leg strength is CLEARLY an issue. Holder or no holder, the man does not have an NFL caliber leg. End or argument. We cut Akers prematurely, no doubt, but leg strength back then was never the issue. Big, big difference.

This guy will always miss kicks....And you are the same people that says Campbell has too many chances>LMFAO!!

THe guy was sorry in DALLAS,and is sorry as a REDSKIN..see the pattern

you can't teach HEART...you either got it or you don't

we was one kick away from making the NFC championship...but he missed a 13 kick straight in the middle of the goal post:doh: the sad thig=ng was ,we had the momentum..Vanderwhack for Colts &Dallas was just like Sean but better...in the regular season atleast Vanderwhack would be perfect..but any amont of pressure he would always miss...just like he missed against the Steeleers that year

Archived