Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: David Ortiz & Manny tested positive for Performance Enhancers in 2003

StillUnknown

Those two would not suprise me in the least. Now if Jeter was on that list, that would be shocking.

I'm not sure about Pujols, but Griffey? He looks the same as he came into the league and he spent like a decade on the DL, how does that look like a steroid user? Not saying definitely he didn't do them, but he doesn't stand out to me.

EDIT: Ortiz is hardly a baseball player, he's a fat guy who hits 300 ft. homers and can't catch a groundball.

I'm more alarmed about the names not being mentioned, which are completley obvious.

Brady Andersen, Brett Boone

If you look at Ortiz numbers it's not difficult to see he was certainly a performance enhancer user. You don't go from Minny hitting 20 HR's, and the next year hit 45 HR's in Boston.

Does this taint Boston's WS run?

Does a plane crash ruin someone's dinner plans?

Forget about any one particular team. The entire sport is tainted, and as far as I'm concerned every team's performances and results are affected.

The best you can say is, every team has a bunch of players who do it. So in some regard the juicer-vs.-juicer matchups could be called "fair." To be a juiced superstar and keep up with the other juiced superstars, you still have to be a superstar in the first place. The results conceivably may not be too far off from what they would have been in a uniformly steroid-free league.

Small consolation though, since we live in this world.

Of course, people will try to use this to claim that only certain cities' teams are worthy of scorn when every city's team is cheating. A preemptive GET REAL goes out to them.

Does a plane crash ruin someone's dinner plans?

Forget about any one particular team. The entire sport is tainted, and as far as I'm concerned every team's performances and results are affected.

The best you can say is, every team has a bunch of players who do it. So in some regard the juicer-vs.-juicer matchups could be called "fair." To be a juiced superstar and keep up with the other juiced superstars, you still have to be a superstar in the first place. The results conceivably may not be too far off from what they would have been in a uniformly steroid-free league.

Small consolation though, since we live in this world.

Of course, people will try to use this to claim that only certain cities' teams are worthy of scorn when every city's team is cheating. A preemptive GET REAL goes out to them.

I agree. It just shows which teams had better steroids than the others. I'd bet anything that every team had at least one player on the juice. So to try to take away a teams' accomplishments would be impossible since everyone was using it.

if you make it to your retirement w/o testing positive, congratulations you're innocent. lol

This isn't even true. At this point all it takes is the accusation by a media person to taint someone. Pujols has never tested positive as far as we know or been linked to any investigations and people are still convinced he's a steroid user because "he must be".

Griffey seems to get a pass but he has a long history of hamstring and quad injuries which are common amongst steroid users on the body building scene so is he really clean?

At this point it appears everyone, from pitchers to sluggers to utility infielders were on the juice which eliminates the competitive advantage argument. How much advantage does a hitter have if the pitcher and the guys in the field are also 'roided up?

Frankly, people dig prodigious feats of athletics so we may as well let adult athletes use steroids. They know the risks and if they're willing to accept them, so be it.

As much as I disliked Bonds and Clemens, this is making them not look nearly as bad. I mean there's 103 players on this list from 2003. That's 4 teams worth of players that tested positive. This just sucks for the ones that weren't using because now you can't really suspect anyone was clean.

I dunno. I doubt Griffey did, but at this point, who knows.

It's funny, we were having a discussion here at work about this same thing after reading the story. None of us were shocked by this, including myself (Sox fan). But all of us agreed that if Jeter's name ever got linked to PED's it would prove that every mediocre to star caliber player was on the juice at some point.

This isn't even true. At this point all it takes is the accusation by a media person to taint someone. Pujols has never tested positive as far as we know or been linked to any investigations and people are still convinced he's a steroid user because "he must be".

Griffey seems to get a pass but he has a long history of hamstring and quad injuries which are common amongst steroid users on the body building scene so is he really clean?

At this point it appears everyone, from pitchers to sluggers to utility infielders were on the juice which eliminates the competitive advantage argument. How much advantage does a hitter have if the pitcher and the guys in the field are also 'roided up?

Frankly, people dig prodigious feats of athletics so we may as well let adult athletes use steroids. They know the risks and if they're willing to accept them, so be it.

I agree with what you say.

But, you have to remember people in the media have special privliges that we as "fans" don't have. They have inside information, and sources that can give them information about guys that were on it or who were heavy users.

I'm somewhat of the opinion that over 3/4 of the league were on illegal performancing enhancing substances during the steriod era.

Unfortunatley, there are going to be MANY names who will never be released because they might of been out of the game by 2003 when all of this testing took place.

Griffey is my last hope as well. Frank Thomas might be another one. He was always big.

Thomas is the one guy I can't believe hasn't been mentioned in the same breath as steroids. Enormous physical stature, big power numbers, injuries.

His injury history is a combination of the following: his style of play (all-out fulltilt boogie), spending much of the last decade on Turf and age catching up to him.

Yeah but Ortiz had a spike in power that made it obvious. Thomas always had that.

True, but being in Fenway, having Manny and better coaching helped some also. He's presumably guilty at this point, though he hasn't addressed this but my point is that Frank could have just as easily been on the juice, maybe he just used it his entire career.

Its sad, but I really can't believe in any of them anymore.

Thomas is the one guy I can't believe hasn't been mentioned in the same breath as steroids. Enormous physical stature, big power numbers, injuries.

He's always been big. Remember, he was playing TE for Auburn before getting injured and focusing on baseball. I think he came into the league at 6'5" 250lbs.

Archived