Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mmmm-mmmm Mumbo Sauce

Dan T.

You gonna tell these guys they got it wrong? :)

Were "Black Boo." "JC", "Lil Pep", and colleagues finalists in the National Spelling Bee? Perhaps.

Perhaps "mumbo" is how "mambo" sounds when you say it with a delicious mouthful of delicious Yums chicken wings slathered with the delicious sauce. "Mmmmm, mumbo." Deliciously delicious deliciousness.

Also this.

I can't believe I've never had mumbo sauce. I lived in PG county until I was 11 and never had it. My grandparents live right down the street from Golden Skillet and I've never been there. I feel like I'm missing out :(

:ols: Dude, so do mine. They didnt try it until like 5 years ago...ever since then its our 'go to' place.

Next time you're there, get the Big Skillet Combo with the mambo sauce :drool:

Ps - Its closed on Sundays.

:ols: Dude, so do mine. They didnt try it until like 5 years ago...ever since then its our 'go to' place.

Next time you're there, get the Big Skillet Combo with the mambo sauce :drool:

Ps - Its closed on Sundays.

That's crazy. I feel like you're stalking me. You work in Lexington Park and you're grandparents live by mine too. What the hell?!?! :silly:

dude, I know, it is crazy. Next you're going to tell me you like the Redskins :silly:

I'd laugh if we are somehow related or something. You're white, arent you? haha

You like the Redskins too?!?!

Yup I'm white...Whit....e :silly:

Where are you originally from?

Yum's Carry-out has printed on their menus...

"-Ask for Mumble Sauce-"

Yep. Mumble Sauce.

I guess this is what happens when "Chinese food" establishments in America get hold of the name of something. Like General Tzo's/General Tsao's/General Zhou's/General Gao's/General Gau's/General Chow's/General Tso's/General To's/General So's Chicken.

I guess this is what happens when "Chinese food" establishments in America get hold of the name of something. Like General Tzo's/General Tsao's/General Zhou's/General Gao's/General Gau's/General Chow's/General Tso's/General To's/General So's Chicken.

Yep

I can't believe I've never had mumbo sauce. I lived in PG county until I was 11 and never had it. My grandparents live right down the street from Golden Skillet and I've never been there. I feel like I'm missing out :(

And yep

Work not too far from Chinatown. Most places spell it General Tso's. So that's what I go with, pronouncing it General So.

With MUMBO sauce, it's not like its and established food or anything so you can spell or say it anyway you like I guess....

And yes sf3 you are definitely missing out!!!

Why not just make it?

1 cup ketchup

1 cup sugar

1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika

3 tablespoons hot sauce

3 tablespoons water

4 tablespoons white vinegar

1) In a mixing bowl combine all ingredients. Mix well.

2)Pour into pot.

3)Bring to boil using low heat. Stirring constantly.

4)Let cool or serve hot.

5)To enhance the flavor of the sauce, just add more of the above ingredients. DO NOT USE SALT, because it will destroy the sweetness of the sauce

I think that's right. :whoknows:

I thought you were supposed to add a little bit of pineapple juice too?

i tried that recipe, its not quite the same

thanks for trying though

You could always ask a Korean person in the DC area since I believe its something they've created. :silly:

Per Urban Dictionary:

Popular dipping sauce in Chinese carryouts that serve soul food (e.g. fried chicken wings & French fries), found primarily in Maryland and Washington, D.C. It can pronounced as "Mumbo Sauce" OR "Mambo Sauce."

RECIPE:

Blend plain BBQ sauce, soy sauce, and plenty of sugar in a container. Other variations include ketchup. Color ranges from deep red to light red, to red-orange. Consistency ranges from a BBQ sauce-thick to hot sauce- thin.

Thrifty carryouts are known to add water to cut costs! Hot sauce is not normally added to Mumbo/Mambo Sauce.

Archived