Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most improved player in 2009

Mahons21

Sig bets will be forthcoming.

Sure, whatever. I just couldn't resist because you seem so SURE of this eventuality... :)

I find the whole Jason/Colt argument tedious, especially since there are two parts to it, and people often confuse them:

1) Is JC better or worse than other QBs out there, and would he be better if he had a better OL and more stability?

2) Is CB better than JC?

If you're a head coach and you find that CB is better than JC, you'd start him unless you're a complete moron, right? I like to think that Coach Zorn isn't an idiot - is this the premise of the pro-Colt faction?

I'm thinking the answer to 2) is no. The answer to 1) we won't likely know since there is really no way to tell for sure.

My take is we should start the best QB. Right now, we're being told JC is the man for the job. If CB comes on strong enough to take over the starting role, more power to him (and may he lead us to victory). It's just that generally, barring complete meltdown, the starter at the beginning of the year keeps the job.

I'm not sure if this is true but if it's Carlos Rogers' contract year and if next off-season is uncapped he'll basically be stuck here without a contract if he doesn't play like a top 10 pick, which if it's his contract year I think he finally will. Of course if he does and there is a cap, we'll probably let him walk.

In terms of how they played last year versus this year..... Devin Thomas

I was really keen on drafting the kid, and i still have faith in him. From what i've heard, read and seen, it appears as though he's taking a lot of steps in the right direction. I really feel like we will start seeing #11 on the field and making plays a lot. Also, his effectiveness will translate into moss getting free more often, JC being able to get rid of the ball quicker, and more.

Is it august yet?

I like this pick too. It's an obvious one, but if we're right it could mean big things for this offense. DT hasn't played football very long so hopefully he makes some big strides between year 1 and year 2 in the NFL.

What I'm hoping for is an out-of-the-blue impressive offense in 2009 (similar to how the O blew up between 1998 and 1999 when our "young" WRs had time to mature and we upgraded at QB).

I'd love to see Thomas and Kelly (and Davis even) contribute to a steady, consistent offense.

-Who do you guys think will step it up this year?

Andre Carter-Will benefit from having Hayneworth drawing attention in the middle of the DL and John Palermo's increased focus on pass rush this season.

The "Redshirts" - another year in the system, an offseason where coaches have talked about getting these players involved in the offense.

DeAngelo Hall- Hall is "home" now and focused on re-establishing himself as one of the top corners in the league, and has the right person in Coach Gray to help him. *Hopefully an increased pass rush well allow him to jump more routes

Brian Orakpo- Yep, that same rookie who's switching from DE to SAM!He's joining an already stout defense that added Albert Hayneworth; offenses can't/won't gameplan to stop a rookie when their are other players to worry about and he'll make them pay.

Jason Campbell- Jason will benefit from another year in the Zorn's WCO system with more streamlined playcalling tailored to suit him and the team's strengths. He will also benefit from the experience Zorn gained calling plays for the 1st time.

He'll also benefit Fcros.jpg from a stronger OL with more depth.

How about Rocky McIntosh. He's a year out from his surgery, will have a good d-line and is certainly poised to have a good year. He doesn't make many mistakes (I remember one blown play that gave Witten a TD, but nothing else sticks out), he can make INTs and is a great athlete, so I think he can have a pro-bowl caliber year.

And for a shot in the dark, what about Big Mike Williams? He seems dedicated, probably knows this is his last shot, has a good friend on the other side of the line, is pretty nimble even for a big guy and with the RT still being semi up for grabs, he can take it. If he plays to his potential, I'd even say he's a lock for comeback player of the year.

Carlos was excellent in the Arizona game and he drew a lot of the Fitzgerald coverage. He'll be good if he can maintain a consistent level throughout the season.

I think McIntosh is going to have a breakout year unless he spends a lot of time playing the strong side. He is a studly athlete and he's due for a huge season. The defensive line will be better and he'll make a ton of plays because of it.

I also think we will see a strong season from Fred Davis going off of what we've gleaned from the coaches. He'll be our offense's spare man because he can line up in so many different places. We'll see him at FB, in the slot, and lined up out wide in addition to playing TE so we should see a lot of mismatches with him.

(I remember one blown play that gave Witten a TD, but nothing else sticks out), he can make INTs and is a great athlete, so I think he can have a pro-bowl caliber year.

If you are talking about the Witten TD in the week 4 game, that was Marcus Washington who blew the coverage and got burned.

Martellus Bennett was the TE who scored in the week 11 game, and I don't remember what happened on that play.

I would say Hall, as I'm optimistic he'll have something approaching a double digit INT year, but he's been a success since he's been here; so I'll plump for the best receiver out of last year's draft, and the one draftee from '08 I'm REAL excited about if he can keep out of the treatment room, Malcolm Kelly.

Hail.

Good call. I think Hall will be excellent too. He was overrated for most of his career. Now the fashion of the times has been a sharp, overcompensating reverse that says he's an awful corner--but that analysis is just as stupid. Regardless, he'll be a part of a much better defense here in 2009 than he ever was in Atlanta or Oakland and he'll benefit from being able to play his aggressive style. He's a solid player and a phenomenal athlete. We have very few guys who can move like he can on our team.

I would also love to see him return punts. I know we are scared of injury but we're deep at his position and Randle El is not very impressive (to put it nicely). Our offense has struggled the past few years, the better field position and the occasional score definitely outweigh the risks in my opinion.

If you are talking about the Witten TD in the week 4 game, that was Marcus Washington who blew the coverage and got burned.

Martellus Bennett was the TE who scored in the week 11 game, and I don't remember what happened on that play.

Actually, Chris Horton blew the coverage on Witten's TD in the 1st Dallas game. He was supposed to playing deep half giving help over top.

Bennet scored despite good coverage from Horton.

Yeah you're right, I went back and watched the replay and it was MW. So with that, I don't remember any big plays Rocky gave up. The Bennett TD was Landry coming in late and Horton not being tall enough to knock the ball away. He was outmatched by what looked like a foot, so I hope he'll have better help next time. He was in good position, just not tall enough.

Actually, Chris Horton blew the coverage on Witten's TD in the 1st Dallas game. He was supposed to playing deep half giving help over top.

Is that what happened? I thought the LB on Witten (Washington, apparently) was supposed to be playing deep and he ended up playing the flat. It was so long ago I don't remember completely, but I do remember it was a mental error by someone. I'd almost rather it be Horton so he could chalk it up to rookie mistake, rather than a veteran just screwing up.

And while we're on the subject, I think Chris Horton will continue to progress well. He's got good competition from Doughty, and seems to study a lot. Maybe not 'most improved,' but he'll play well.

What do you guys think about Horton? Do you think he'll take the next step and prove he's a good starter, or is he a flash in the pan? I think he'll probably show some improvement too. I can't remember many rookie safeties who came in and made such an immediate impact. He sustained what I thought was a pretty impressive level of play for the whole season. Blache's defense seems to have been friendly to developing DBs dating back to his Chicago tenure. I think things look good for Horton in 2009.

Yeah you're right, I went back and watched the replay and it was MW. So with that, I don't remember any big plays Rocky gave up.

The Bengals game Rocky was pretty bad, i thought he was hurt, in fact he got benched for Fincher in that game.

Is that what happened? I thought the LB on Witten (Washington, apparently) was supposed to be playing deep and he ended up playing the flat. It was so long ago I don't remember completely, but I do remember it was a mental error by someone. I'd almost rather it be Horton so he could chalk it up to rookie mistake, rather than a veteran just screwing up.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/dallas-cowboys/09000d5d80b512ba/WK-4-Anatomy-Extra-Horton-on-his-INT

Chris Horton is a good in the box SS who imo is only gonna get better as he starts to understand and improve in pass coverage.

What do you guys think about Horton? Do you think he'll take the next step and prove he's a good starter, or is he a flash in the pan? I think he'll probably show some improvement too. I can't remember many rookie safeties who came in and made such an immediate impact. He sustained what I thought was a pretty impressive level of play for the whole season. Blache's defense seems to have been friendly to developing DBs dating back to his Chicago tenure. I think things look good for Horton in 2009.

I don't think Horton was a flash in the pan.

B/c he has Landry playing deep, Horton can stay in the box.

Being in the box allows him to spend most of his time in run and hit mode where he excells.

From what i've read he's a hard worker and is willing and eager to learn.

Cornelius Griffin

I don't know about anyone else, but when healthy I think Griffin is a top 10 DT. Injuries and double teams cause him to disappear at times (still making an impact by taking up blockers, but isn't noticed). With the addition of Haynesworth, Griffin can put up unbelievable numbers if he can stay healthy.

Archived