Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFLN: Faulk: Portis is 'one dimensional'

SMOSS89

Oh, did we sign Peyton Manning? Wait, no... and he doesn't run the same offense. So that comparison is absurd and irrelevant.

We are talking about an expert opinion on one particular aspect of football strategy, one not associated with any particular offensive scheme. So, the comment is relevant and certainly not absurd.

He's better than any other back on the roster at everything the backs are asked to do.

He's a stiff as a receiver, so that's probably why Clinton's used more as a blocker.

Robo-Back. Protypical Running Back. Complete Back. All things that were said about Faulk during his playing days. I don't want disrespect what a potential HOF RB has to say about our RB.

I think the reason you don't see Portis catching out of the backfield because there weren't any offensive plays called for that. Portis can catch out the backfield but if the play isn't called then he can't run it. :helmet:

My offensive strategy would consist of two parts. They are our only options for winning:

1. Trade Portis. No team wins with the entire offense centered around one single RB. Find a team to pay part of his cap hit. Unload him quickly, and either get a real lineman who can block, or someone like Boldin--a real receiver that we can actually count on. Not some high risk gamble like Malcomb or D Thomas.

2. If we are stuck with him, cut his workload by 40-50%. We know he gets so banged up by playoff time with the way that we currently overuse him, that there is no sense in even going down that route again. That is, unless your goal is a wild card and out.

So, you want to make Colt the starter and trade Portis? Are you sure you're not a Cowboy fan infiltrator? :hysterical:

So Clinton Portis isn't on the list because he isn't a very good receiver, eh? But Michael Turner is #3 because...why exactly?

Michael Turner, 2008: 6 rec, 41 yards, 6.8 avg, 18 long, 2 1st, 0 20+

Clinton Portis, 2008: 28 rec, 218 yards, 7.8 avg, 29 long, 11 1st, 1 20+

Turner has a career 17 rec, while (coincidentally) 17 rec was Portis' career low in 2006, when he only played in 8 games.

Oops?

Excellent work on this one. I'm not the biggest fan of Portis, but to say his game is one dimensional is simply delusional.

Besides, I don't want a back whose skills in rushing and receiving are equal. I'd much rather have a guy with the sort of skill set that Portis has. A running back should be able to add a small extra wrinkle catching the ball, but blocking is crucial due to the high-visibility position of a running back on most plays. In short, a lot of guys on the field are eligible and can be placed in a position to catch, but not a lot of guys are in as good a position to stop a blitz cold. The fans of this team who see Portis do that REGULARLY can appreciate this, as can many defenders around the league.

I can live with Clinton Portis being one dimensional as long as he's delivering on that dimension consistently. :)

For the record though, I do not agree with Marshall Faulk.

Faulk is a little biased. He was never a great pure runner (which in my opinion is the very first skill one should want in a running back) so he looks for guys who are like him. Faulk's game was too gimmicky for my taste.

I may be called biased, but I actually think Portis is a much better runner (RUNNER) than Faulk ever was.

My offensive strategy would consist of two parts. They are our only options for winning:

1. Trade Portis. No team wins with the entire offense centered around one single RB. Find a team to pay part of his cap hit. Unload him quickly, and either get a real lineman who can block, or someone like Boldin--a real receiver that we can actually count on. Not some high risk gamble like Malcomb or D Thomas.

2. If we are stuck with him, cut his workload by 40-50%. We know he gets so banged up by playoff time with the way that we currently overuse him, that there is no sense in even going down that route again. That is, unless your goal is a wild card and out.

Portis has no value in a trade whatsoever. Who would trade for a 27-year old with as much mileage as Portis, regardless of cap numbers? He's too close to being put out to pasture to command any value. The best bet is to ride him until he retires.

I could see dropping his workload being an option, but 40-50% is too much. There is such a thing as under-utilizing talent, especially when considering the possibility that this team isn't as deep at running back as we had all once thought.

You always imply Portis' contract is some albatross that cripples our cap. Its ridiculous.

Frankly, complaining about one of the few large contracts that we've handed out in the Snyder era that has actually amounted to something is stupid.

One can only wish we catch up with the rest of the league.

I'm sorry, but there's no way that's true. Betts is a threat to fumble every time he touches the football.

I wasn't talking about whether he fumbles or not, I was talking about Betts's ability to catch the ball.

Because they are called "change-of-pace" backs for a reason?

And check out which backs DON'T need "change-of-pace backs": guys who can catch the ball. Forte, Tomlinson (Sproles only got his chance when LT2 was injured), Chris Johnson, Ronnie Brown in his prime. I'm sorry, but CP will never be an every down back because he is not a pure receiver out of the backfield.

"Betts is a better receiver than Clinton" is a myth that somehow has taken hold to be fact in some people's minds.

I have never, ever, seen any evidence to back that statement up.

Betts' career reception totals and avg per rec are

You're comparing Betts reception totals when he hasn't even started a full year in his whole career?

I wasn't talking about whether he fumbles or not, I was talking about Betts's ability to catch the ball.

And check out which backs DON'T need "change-of-pace backs": guys who can catch the ball. Forte, Tomlinson (Sproles only got his chance when LT2 was injured), Chris Johnson, Ronnie Brown in his prime. I'm sorry, but CP will never be an every down back because he is not a pure receiver out of the backfield.

You're comparing Betts reception totals when he hasn't even started a full year in his whole career?

the problem is no offense.how can a dump off pass to CP work? when you have a defense with 8 players crowding the line of scrimmage.if we had a offense that was attacking,and dictating,to other teams defense' you would see more dump off passes to CP. when you run up the middle with a soft O-line on first,and second down,a dump off pass isn't going to work,nor would a screen on 3rd down

Well if you watched any football before, if your coach is telling you stay in and block, how do expect to catch the ball or run? If your coach is telling u to help protect the qb.:doh:

Portis has done something only a few backs in history have EVER done, just compare his career rushing stats so far, to any of the greats. Then tell me where he ranks on that list. Facts show different.

Portis is right up there with all the greats.

1,000 Yard Rushers During Mike Shanahan’s Tenure (Through 2006)

Mike Anderson - 2000, 2005 - 6th Round Draft Pick

Tatum Bell - 2006 - 2nd Round Draft Pick

Terrell Davis - 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998 - 6th Round Draft Pick

Olandis Gary - 1999 - 4th Round Pick

Clinton Portis - 2002, 2003 - 2nd Round Draft Pick

Rueben Droughns - 2004 - Free Agent

Portis has avg 4 yds per carry since he became a Skin, 5.5 with the Broncos.

All his stats were padded by the Broncos ability to zone block and get their backs big runs.

Take away Portis's Broncos stats and yes he's pretty average!

We are talking about an expert opinion on one particular aspect of football strategy, one not associated with any particular offensive scheme. So, the comment is relevant and certainly not absurd.

Peyton Manning has never played with a running back who was a good pass blocker. It's not surprising that he would rather have the back running routes, rather than relying on him to make a block that he probably won't make.

Also, his team's offense operates in a significantly different way than the Redskins' offense. So while he may not see the merits of keeping a blocking back in the offense he runs, his opinion might change if he was playing behind a mediocre offensive line with receivers who can't get open efficiently.

Also, keep in mind, Jason Campbell is not Peyton Manning, and Santana Moss isn't Marvin Harrison/Reggie Wayne. They can't adjust routes with a nod to get get the ball out and beat the blitz. Sometimes, that means Clinton Portis needs to be there to pick up the pieces, and he's pretty damned good at that.

These conversations are about worthless anymore...

Nothing is portis fault here. Look at these posts: "Bad offensive line", "Receivers who can't get open", "Bad Quarterback", "Bad playcalling", "Bad game conditions", bla bla bla bla.

I swear i hope i'm alive and still on this board when Portis either leaves the Redskins or retires. And then when the years go by and he is never mentioned for the HOF, i'm going to come back from wherever i am and say "i told you so".

For the life of me i can't see how people think he can be in the same category as Emmit Smith or Barry Sanders. The one i hate the most on here is the homers that say "Portis will break Sanders' records". Get serious people. This man will never have a rushing title or a superbowl ring or a HOF spot.

Everybody can't be one of the best who ever played the game. That's not a knock on CP. It's just the facts. He's had a good career but this far it is not been HOF worthy....

I swear i hope i'm alive and still on this board when Portis either leaves the Redskins or retires. And then when the years go by and he is never mentioned for the HOF, i'm going to come back from wherever i am and say "i told you so".

I sure hope that you're alive, but not on this board, IF that happens. I'm not saying that he's HOF, either, but to hope that you can say "I told you so" about someone being overrated is a pretty anti-Redskins thing to say. I hope that you change your tune soon.

I sure hope that you're alive, but not on this board, IF that happens. I'm not saying that he's HOF, either, but to hope that you can say "I told you so" about someone being overrated is a pretty anti-Redskins thing to say. I hope that you change your tune soon.

Dude i bleed B&G. Ask anybody that knows me. I'm just not making Portis out to be the next redskins God like everybody else does. I respect CP as an athlete, but people on here say that Riggins was worthless compared to the mighty CP. That's crazy!

I'm not being anti-redskins, i'm just saying i don't believe all this hype that people give portis. He is a good running back, but i don't feel that he is ELITE....

Clinton Portis is NOT the redskins.

SS84 - I hear ya and I'm with ya. There is a you tube video I posted in another thread. Crappy quality and crappy sound track. But you can see Riggins plowing over and through people lime and time again. Literally dozens of runs that CP can only dream of making. He was like a Mac truck in a parking lot full of Toyotas and he came through in big games. What is CPs record in big games again? Can anyone name one special play?

Clinton Portis is NOT the redskins.

SS84 - I hear ya and I'm with ya. There is a you tube video I posted in another thread. Crappy quality and crappy sound track. But you can see Riggins plowing over and through people lime and time again. Literally dozens of runs that CP can only dream of making. He was like a Mac truck in a parking lot full of Toyotas and he came through in big games. What is CPs record in big games again? Can anyone name one special play?

I see how you took that, my bad. What I meant was that hoping to say "I told you so" AGAINST a player on the team is against the team. Our thoughts on Portis are different, but I'd never cheer against one of our own players just to say "I told you so."

Dude i bleed B&G. Ask anybody that knows me. I'm just not making Portis out to be the next redskins God like everybody else does. I respect CP as an athlete, but people on here say that Riggins was worthless compared to the mighty CP. That's crazy!

I'm not being anti-redskins, i'm just saying i don't believe all this hype that people give portis. He is a good running back, but i don't feel that he is ELITE....

Please see my above comment as I think that I may have cut you short. I didn't mean to imply that you are anti-Redskins, as I know that you're not. :)

Portis isn't Riggins, but you and I are about the same age, meaning that neither of us watched the Diesel. EVERYONE from that era has a god-like stature in people's minds, so we have to give SOME credit of his reputation to, well, his reputation.

Portis, I feel, is rated as he should be. Hall of Fame? Pushing it. One of the best that we've ever had? Without question.

This isn't the "Clinton Portis HOF" thread, it's a discussion of whether Portis is one-dimensional. I agree with you that he is not powerful, and not a big-game runner. That's why he won't be a HOFer, but not evidence for or against the assertion that he is one dimensional.

NewCliche 21,

I didn't take any offense from your post at all. Seriously. I just wanted to point out that I love the Redskins too, but facts are facts and at some point, we will collectively realize that Portis was not what everybody thought he was. A good back, absolutley. But at this point not ELITE in my mind to be up there with the other great ones. And in just the limited clips I've saw of Riggins, no way. Portis will never be as good.

So i want you to know we're good. I wasn't offended whatsoever. I knew the point you were trying to make :)

there are clips of Portis running over guys. someone on here has a clip against the eagles i think.

Isn't Portis considered the best blocking back in the league?? Is that a dimension? Can't he run inside and out? If given the chance i believe he could be a force in the passing game. Dude has carried this team like no other back in the league through our offensive woes.

And to the Riggins comparison. Please, JR only ran behind the greatest OL ever.

Clinton Portis is the single-best offensive player the Washington Redskins have had in Daniel Snyder's tenure. Period. I don't know what that says about the Redskins but it says a lot about CP. Whether or not he's as good as player x or player y is not the point. Some of you should get onboard or get out of the way. If he had been playing behind o-lines like they've had in New England or Pittsburgh or Indy, we'd be calling him the best ever. Ever.

Archived