Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFLN: Faulk: Portis is 'one dimensional'

SMOSS89

Im so sorry if i'm this wrong. I don't see what all the rest of you see....

Could Portis' notorious bad attitude and ego problems be to blame?

i'm not being sarcastic but maybe my view of CP as the locker room problem narrows my judgement on CP the athlete

Peyton Manning has never played with a running back who was a good pass blocker. It's not surprising that he would rather have the back running routes, rather than relying on him to make a block that he probably won't make.

Peyton made his comment as a strategic preference. It had nothing to do with the blocking ability of his RBs even if your off-the-wall criticism of their abilities just happened to be correct.

Also, his team's offense operates in a significantly different way than the Redskins' offense. So while he may not see the merits of keeping a blocking back in the offense he runs, his opinion might change if he was playing behind a mediocre offensive line with receivers who can't get open efficiently.

There is no logical basis for thinking that having the RB handy as an outlet receiver is not an advantage for a QB with a mediocre or poor O line.

Also, keep in mind, Jason Campbell is not Peyton Manning, and Santana Moss isn't Marvin Harrison/Reggie Wayne. They can't adjust routes with a nod to get get the ball out and beat the blitz. Sometimes, that means Clinton Portis needs to be there to pick up the pieces, and he's pretty damned good at that.

If what you say is true, that Harrison and Wayne are better than our receivers at adjusting to beat the blitz, then why does Peyton prefer to keep the RB as his outlet? You argued against your position.

... If he had been playing behind o-lines like they've had in New England or Pittsburgh or Indy, we'd be calling him the best ever. Ever...

He played in the league's best running game scheme in Denver and had an above average O line for most of his starts as a Skin.

He's an above average RB. His best attribute is that he has been a reliable workhorse.

Best ever???

Nah.

Portis is right up there with all the greats.

1' date='000 Yard Rushers During Mike Shanahan’s Tenure (Through 2006)

Mike Anderson - 2000, 2005 - 6th Round Draft Pick

Tatum Bell - 2006 - 2nd Round Draft Pick

Terrell Davis - 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998 - 6th Round Draft Pick

Olandis Gary - 1999 - 4th Round Pick

Clinton Portis - 2002, 2003 - 2nd Round Draft Pick

Rueben Droughns - 2004 - Free Agent

Portis has avg 4 yds per carry since he became a Skin, 5.5 with the Broncos.

All his stats were padded by the Broncos ability to zone block and get their backs big runs.

Take away Portis's Broncos stats and yes he's pretty average![/quote']

So i guess Terrell Davis was avg as well.

WTF! With the REDSKINS, Portis has had 1,315, 1,516(*franchise record), a 1,262yd in 07, and last season, which is the, what have you done lately? Well in 08 he just ran for a mere 1,487. So he did all this w/o playing in Denver.

He's Only ran for a Redskins Franchise record, :doh: The best part is he is just now going into his 8th season, and he's already blowing away T.D.s career stats in one less season played. He's very avg. yeah right, in the HOF world maybe.

So please continue on about Denver zone blocking. Only if we had it, he would be so much better. He's already better than all those backs you mentioned.

Oh by the way, your list of Denver backs is a great way to prove how good Portis really is, thanks. Let me explain,

Terrell Davis may be the best back Denver's history, or mentioned as one the best in Bronco's history.

T.D.= 7,607 yds in a total of 8 seasons, and 60tds, y.p.c=4.6

C.P.= 9,202 yds in a tot. of 7 seasons, and 72tds. y.p.c=4.5 check stats at www.nfl.com

Now we really know how good C.P. Is which is better than all your backs on your list.

I recommend next time you feel like making a statement about a player, just compare him to all the other backs you listed 1st. This was way to EZ, please continue your spin dance :dance:

Great stats... The problem here is that some people like CP and some dont! With stats alone the case has been proved that CP is top 5 & not one dimensional! People open your eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

So i guess Terrell Davis was avg as well.

WTF! With the REDSKINS, Portis has had 1,315, 1,516(*franchise record), a 1,262yd in 07, and last season, which is the, what have you done lately? Well in 08 he just ran for a mere 1,487. So he did all this w/o playing in Denver.

He's Only ran for a Redskins Franchise record, :doh: The best part is he is just now going into his 8th season, and he's already blowing away T.D.s career stats in one less season played. He's very avg. yeah right, in the HOF world maybe.

So please continue on about Denver zone blocking. Only if we had it, he would be so much better. He's already better than all those backs you mentioned.

Oh by the way, your list of Denver backs is a great way to prove how good Portis really is, thanks. Let me explain,

Terrell Davis may be the best back Denver's history, or mentioned as one the best in Bronco's history.

T.D.= 7,607 yds in a total of 8 seasons, and 60tds, y.p.c=4.6

C.P.= 9,202 yds in a tot. of 7 seasons, and 72tds. y.p.c=4.5 check stats at www.nfl.com

Now we really know how good C.P. Is which is better than all your backs on your list.

I recommend next time you feel like making a statement about a player, just compare him to all the other backs you listed 1st. This was way to EZ, please continue your spin dance :dance:

Wow, I don't think that I've ever seen someone get owned so hard on this board.

:notworthy:

Great stats... The problem here is that some people like CP and some dont! With stats alone the case has been proved that CP is top 5 & not one dimensional! People open your eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Some guys just make unintelligent comments. I'm just helping shape the minds of America's Youth :peaceout:

I mean if he has more career yards, more career tds, and less years played. Thats just common sense.

Portis is still playing, so he is still adding to his legacy. His production is seldom seen in history.

So the real question is who is dellman?
Hmm...

Sounds like #21Taylor4Eva

-Agree again, pigs must be flying... We may be adding Peterson to the last soon, though he has shown he can pretty much run the ball any style, he can be elusive, he can run through you, he can outrun you.. Would be nice if he was in the B&G taking splits with CP
That's what happens when you draft for need unfortunately.

To mcd5 here are some stats for you to chew on from last year ie. CP to get the ball only 40 to 50 percent of the time.... Adrian Petreson stats 1-4 quarters rush yard avg

1st 4.7

2nd 6.1

3rd 4.6

2th 4.0

Portis

1st 3.7

2nd 4.2

3rd 4.9

4th 4.7

Interesting huh? wait there is more on carries 1-10, 11-20 & 21-30. Avg on attempts

AP vs CP

5.6 3.8

4.1 4.8

4.6 5.1

Blocking CP by far, Recieving CP by a knows and the numbers back that up!

NFL.com situational stats

and lets put ths baby to rest!!!

To mcd5 here are some stats for you to chew on from last year ie. CP to get the ball only 40 to 50 percent of the time.... Adrian Petreson stats 1-4 quarters rush yard avg

1st 4.7

2nd 6.1

3rd 4.6

2th 4.0

Portis

1st 3.7

2nd 4.2

3rd 4.9

4th 4.7

Interesting huh? wait there is more on carries 1-10, 11-20 & 21-30. Avg on attempts

AP vs CP

5.6 3.8

4.1 4.8

4.6 5.1

Blocking CP by far, Recieving CP by a knows and the numbers back that up!

NFL.com situational stats

and lets put ths baby to rest!!!

That proves Portis gets better as the game goes on or should I say the more carries he gets, the better he gets, and will close games out. A.P. burns himselfout early w/ big plays and isn't know for winning a game in the 4th, yet that is.

Nice stats, the numbers he's accumulated in 7 seasons is rarely seen. Thats not an opinion thats fact. Great find bro

Can CP plow thou a linebacker like #44? No.

Can he duke him out and run?Yes.

Me for one I still like CP.Yes

Can he block?Sometimes.

CP is a great RB.

BTW **** Faulk and the boat that he road on.:)

And the team that he plays on.

He wouldn't make a good pimple on CP arse!

there are clips of Portis running over guys. someone on here has a clip against the eagles i think.

Isn't Portis considered the best blocking back in the league?? Is that a dimension? Can't he run inside and out? If given the chance i believe he could be a force in the passing game. Dude has carried this team like no other back in the league through our offensive woes.

And to the Riggins comparison. Please, JR only ran behind the greatest OL ever.

Watch the runs. :doh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGI0U1DDT4E&feature=related

http://redskins.fandome.com/video/104629/John-Riggins-Examined-Pt-2/

Ugh.

God forbid we have TWO unbelievable backs. One has to suck in order for the other one to be amazing, right? :doh:

I wouldn't even bother with him Cliche, he is anti-Portis in all of his posts, nothing you say will change his opinion, some people just don't appreciate what he has done for us.

As for Marshall's statement, it sounded like he just talked out of his rear to come up with an excuse, if you watched the video that is.

I never said Portis sucks. He's a very good back. He's a good blocker. He's a workhorse. I just get tired of hearing how great he is and listening to the rabid attacks on anyone who would dare suggest he is less than a HOF lock. The complete disrespect of Riggins by some people also kind of gets my goat because I watched him put this team on his back and carry it when they needed him most, right to the Superbowl.

That, and I am tired of his mouth. But that's another story. :D

Peyton made his comment as a strategic preference. It had nothing to do with the blocking ability of his RBs even if your off-the-wall criticism of their abilities just happened to be correct.

My criticism isn't "off-the-wall." It's based on having watched football a lot over the past several years. My observations have led me to conclude that Clinton Portis is a better pass protector than Mike Hart, Dominic Rhodes, Joseph Addai, Kenton Keith, and so on. Feel free to disagree, as your insistence on contradicting a point which was not critical to my argument detracts from your ability to refute what I'm actually saying.

There is no logical basis for thinking that having the RB handy as an outlet receiver is not an advantage for a QB with a mediocre or poor O line.

Consider: if the offensive line is poor, why would the quarterback prefer not to have another blocker to pick up blitzers? If the defense gets to him through a porous line, he doesn't have time to throw anyway, so what good is one more guy running a pattern? Especially in this offense, with a quarterback who hasn't shown the ability to handle pressure well?

If what you say is true, that Harrison and Wayne are better than our receivers at adjusting to beat the blitz, then why does Peyton prefer to keep the RB as his outlet? You argued against your position.

Not so. My point was that our QB/WR combo doesn't do a good job of adjusting routes to beat the blitz. That means the QB needs more time to complete a pass. Which means he needs better protection. Which means an extra blocker is beneficial--you know, someone who can back up the O-line in the event that a rusher gets through. A running back, for example, and preferably one who has shown he is adept at pass coverage. Portis, perhaps. Besides, Peyton Manning has had the benefit of a very good offensive line. He hasn't, in most cases, needed extra protection.

Just because Manning prefers something doesn't make it right for every system, or every quarterback, or, necessarily, anyone but Manning himself. He's probably not the only QB who feels that more comfortable alone in the backfield, but many NFL coaches feel that using backs in pass protection has its merits. I trust their opinions more than yours.

Archived