Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFLN: Faulk: Portis is 'one dimensional'

SMOSS89

He said, westbrook had blocking passing everything. Portis didn't knock out all of faulks favorite defensive players because he cant block. He catches the ball out of the back feild all the time. Marshall you should know better. Ask Madden?

Portis is strictly a dump-off or short hitch over the middle guy. Seems like he is too stiff in the upper-body to be a natural pass catcher. Not that it necessarily excludes him from a top five ranking, but I agree he is not multi-dimensional as a pass catcher.

That was a pretty interesting list of RBs for the Top 5. Maurice Jones-Drew? I like the guy, and I think he's great, but Top 5 has gotta be a stretch. And Michael Turner at 3? He had a great year, but to call him Top 5 in the game is again, a little much.

As for the Portis comment- I thought the way Faulk delivered that comment was really strange. He kind of hesitated when he was asked "What's wrong with Portis" and then as he spoke it sounded like he was searching for an answer on the fly. Go back and watch it if you can find a clip- maybe I'm just crazy.

ironic that Faulk would say such a thing, since CP is one of the most versitile backs in the league. There is nothing that he can't do on the field, but when you consider that he has to stay back and block on 3rd down alot of the time, then its obvious that recieving yards will suffer. Faulk should know better than that.

Marshall is a very astute individual when it comes to football, I think he's been kind in his observation of Portis. Portis YPC have been near the bottom of the league amongst legitimate starters since he's arrived in DC. IMO he's been highly overrated because of his personality, and ability to promote himself.

I guess the best thing people point to about Portis when ever this discussion comes up is his blocking. Big deal! As if most backs aren't, or can't become adequate blockers. Did we give up all we gave up to get portis for his blocking, or his ability to move the chains? Portis doesn't run with power [although he is tough for his size] he doesn't get the big runs like a legitimate speed back, and he doesn't catch much either, now that could be due to the QB, scheme whatever, but the fact remains he doesn't.

The fact that Portis spends time in the backfield blocking may be an indictment on the rest of his abilities? I wonder why Marshall didn't spend a lot of his time in the backfield blocking?

Here's the video:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8112aff6&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Portis is on the nfl.com list at #2, but in the video Faulk says what is mentioned in the OP. So Portis wasn't even in his top 6, crazy. As far as being one dimensional that is just crazy. He had more receptions than AP (not as many receiving yards), but still i'd say they are both pretty equal as far as receiving goes. And everyone knows Portis is a great blocker.

I guess the best thing people point to about Portis when ever this discussion comes up is his blocking. Big deal! As if most backs aren't' date=' or can't become adequate blockers. Did we give up all we gave up to get portis for his blocking, or his ability to move the chains? Portis doesn't run with power [although he is tough for his size'] he doesn't get the big runs like a legitimate speed back, and he doesn't catch much either, now that could be due to the QB, scheme whatever, but the fact remains he doesn't.

He had 13 runs over 20 yards which tied him for 3rd in the league...

In all seriousness, I sometimes wonder what the people on the NFL Network look at when they watch film and evaluate players. My friend and I were discussing this yesterday. Maybe we just don't know what to look for. :chair:

I think you and your friend are on to something. The sheer numbers of former players clogging the airwaves these days has diluted the knowledge pool. Some obviously keep up with the game and the players while others sort of phone it in. I have not seen Faulk so I can't say about him, but after wasting almost 20 minutes watching an obviously unpreparen Warren Sapp flounder around trying to describe defensive line play I can say some analysists are beter then others.

Marshall is a very astute individual when it comes to football' date=' I think he's been kind in his observation of Portis. Portis YPC have been near the bottom of the league amongst legitimate starters since he's arrived in DC. IMO he's been highly overrated because of his personality, and ability to promote himself.

I guess the best thing people point to about Portis when ever this discussion comes up is his blocking. Big deal! As if most backs aren't, or can't become adequate blockers. Did we give up all we gave up to get portis for his blocking, or his ability to move the chains? Portis doesn't run with power [although he is tough for his size'] he doesn't get the big runs like a legitimate speed back, and he doesn't catch much either, now that could be due to the QB, scheme whatever, but the fact remains he doesn't.

The fact that Portis spends time in the backfield blocking may be an indictment on the rest of his abilities? I wonder why Marshall didn't spend a lot of his time in the backfield blocking?

I don't know if it's an indicator of his abilities (or lack thereof) but simply because our line sucks at blocking.

However, I do agree with you on everything else.

Marshall is a very astute individual when it comes to football' date=' I think he's been kind in his observation of Portis. Portis YPC have been near the bottom of the league amongst legitimate starters since he's arrived in DC. IMO he's been highly overrated because of his personality, and ability to promote himself.

I guess the best thing people point to about Portis when ever this discussion comes up is his blocking. Big deal! As if most backs aren't, or can't become adequate blockers. Did we give up all we gave up to get portis for his blocking, or his ability to move the chains? Portis doesn't run with power [although he is tough for his size'] he doesn't get the big runs like a legitimate speed back, and he doesn't catch much either, now that could be due to the QB, scheme whatever, but the fact remains he doesn't.

You don't average five and a half yards per carry for two years in Denver if you suck at running. Our line and ability of our passing game to keep defenses honest have been much bigger problems than Portis' ability.

Also, I've always been of the opinion that Portis could be a much bigger factor in the passing game if the coaches would use him; Betts may be a bit smoother catching the ball, but Portis can do a lot more after the whole "catching" thing is done.

Portis may be declining in terms of production, but his blocking more than makes for that. There was an awesome youtube video that was recently posted on this board of Portis just flat out pancaking Kiwanuka of the Giants. In fact no RB in this league can be considered one-dimensional with all they're asked to do.

So Clinton Portis isn't on the list because he isn't a very good receiver, eh? But Michael Turner is #3 because...why exactly?

Michael Turner, 2008: 6 rec, 41 yards, 6.8 avg, 18 long, 2 1st, 0 20+

Clinton Portis, 2008: 28 rec, 218 yards, 7.8 avg, 29 long, 11 1st, 1 20+

Turner has a career 17 rec, while (coincidentally) 17 rec was Portis' career low in 2006, when he only played in 8 games.

Oops?

I think you and your friend are on to something. The sheer numbers of former players clogging the airwaves these days has diluted the knowledge pool. Some obviously keep up with the game and the players while others sort of phone it in. I have not seen Faulk so I can't say about him, but after wasting almost 20 minutes watching an obviously unpreparen Warren Sapp flounder around trying to describe defensive line play I can say some analysists are beter then others.

I can usually deal with players being commentators, but it seems like as of late they are spewing out garbage. They are absolutely entitled to their own opinion, but I think too often they state their opinions as fact, which is where things go downhill for me.

Archived