Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Used car help (Anyone seen The Mayor?)

Kilmer17

Well, Obama signed the cash for clunkers legislation, so Im ready to go for a new vehicle for my wife.

There is an 07 Honda Odyssey at my local dealer. They are asking 24999. A dealer about 2 hours away has the same exact van (just color differs) for 22499 with less miles.

I'd like to get out the door under 20k after my trade (Cahs for clunkers will get me 4500).

Figuring tax, title and "undercoating", I need the price to be 23000.00.

Where should I start my offer?

Well, Obama signed the cash for clunkers legislation, so Im ready to go for a new vehicle for my wife.

There is an 07 Honda Odyssey at my local dealer. They are asking 24999. A dealer about 2 hours away has the same exact van (just color differs) for 22499 with less miles.

I'd like to get out the door under 20k after my trade (Cahs for clunkers will get me 4500).

Figuring tax, title and "undercoating", I need the price to be 23000.00.

Where should I start my offer?

If they are asking $24999 for the one you want here, I would start my negotiating at $18500. In this economy, you are in the drivers seat, literally. No way you should pay more than $21000 (after all taxes fees and and registration) before you cash for clunkers rebate.

If I could flip it so I was not upside down on my loan by about $3000, I would so trade my car in right now and get something new! Darn vehicle depreciation and crappy economy!

As far as what you should do, I like the email idea. Send everyone an email with what you have, what you are looking for and what you want to pay and whoever makes you the best deal gets your business. You will probably get one or two takers in this economy.

FYI: You have to know what the dealer paid for the van, when they got it, and what they could auction it off for.

Very rarely do Used Car Managers lose money on a Used Car.

New Cars, different story.

You lose money on Used Cars, you lose your job.

I really appreciate your help. If I make it to a game this year, I'll bring a bottle over to the DTC for you. If you're still there.

Archived