Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How long do we commemorate important dates in WW2?

88Comrade2000

I think WWII is pretty much the most clear-cut war of good v. evil.
True. Given the sheer size of D-Day and the number of men and amount of planning that went into it says to me that it will be remembered every year for a very long time, as it should be.

D-Day was also such a turning point in the war it is appropriate that it be recognized every year.

D-Day was so enormous an operation that required international teamwork on a scale unseen before or since.

We also don't really commemorate most important dates in WWII, just Pearl Harbor and D-Day. Though I'm sure other countries have their special dates as well.

And most important of all is the number of US lives lost, a series of battles with losses only eclipsed by the Civil War.

normandyamericancamatery.jpg

Total number of deaths for WWII is widely believed to be around 56 million :doh:

And most important of all is the number of US lives lost, a series of battles with losses only eclipsed by the Civil War.

normandyamericancamatery.jpg

Total number of deaths for WWII is widely believed to be around 56 million :doh:

I visited Normandy january of 2008, the U.S. cemetary at Omaha is a very humbling experience. It feels like you're simply walking forever amongst the rows of grave markers. For those who have never gone, it's a 2 hour train ride north from Paris. Take the Battlebus Tour out of the town Bayeux, simply amazing. The town of Bayeux is also something to behold. It's a fascinating town with a lot of French countryside charm. Battlebus tour is the best tour offered in the area, but I suggest you go during the spring or summer since the museums are seasonal.

obviously, not in terms of lives lost, or size of war, etc.....but in terms of the extremity of "evil" faced
Still no. The evil faced in Europe was systematic, wide-spread, and state-organized.

Terrorism is sporadic, relatively narrow in scope, and mostly unorganized. I don't think Nazi Germany can be compared to international terrorism.

Still no. The evil faced in Europe was systematic, wide-spread, and state-organized.

Terrorism is sporadic, relatively narrow in scope, and mostly unorganized. I don't think Nazi Germany can be compared to international terrorism.

Terrorism, however, is more random in it's killings and human targets, and would not hesitate to strike anyone at all, just to prove a point.

I visited Normandy january of 2008, the U.S. cemetary at Omaha is a very humbling experience. It feels like you're simply walking forever amongst the rows of grave markers. For those who have never gone, it's a 2 hour train ride north from Paris. Take the Battlebus Tour out of the town Bayeux, simply amazing. The town of Bayeux is also something to behold. It's a fascinating town with a lot of French countryside charm. Battlebus tour is the best tour offered in the area, but I suggest you go during the spring or summer since the museums are seasonal.

I went there with my father, who is a WW2 veteran...it was pretty overwhelming for him because he had not been back since being in the war. It was pretty overwhelming for me to see wave after wave of grave markers as well as to stand in the middle of so much history that I knew my father took part in.

I think WWII is pretty much the most clear-cut war of good v. evil.

As I told my wife over dinner tonite, D-Day is the reason we are sitting here eating pizza and speaking English. Obviously an exaggeration, but had the free world not banded together to win that war, the state of affairs would be very different now. WWII was the most pivotal series of events humanity has seen in centuries, possibly ever.

Never forget. I golfed w/a great friend of mine yesterday who was in DC this past week and he told me about meeting a couple 90 year old Tuskegee Air Men. Yeah, true heroes and the definition of why this country is so freaking exceptional.

How is the "War on Terror" (despite its execution) questionable? Just curious. Leave Iraq out.

Well, the war is vague. Its like if I were to declare a "War on Evil". Execution is everything. You can't take a catch phrase ('cause really, that's what the "War on Terror" is, a catch phrase) and use that for the distinguishing of good and evil. What are we doing, who are we fighting? Why are we fighting them, why are they fighting us? Those questions are all important in the distinction of good and evil.

Well, the war is vague. Its like if I were to declare a "War on Evil". Execution is everything. You can't take a catch phrase ('cause really, that's what the "War on Terror" is, a catch phrase) and use that for the distinguishing of good and evil. What are we doing, who are we fighting? Why are we fighting them, why are they fighting us? Those questions are all important in the distinction of good and evil.

I hear what you're saying. But, I think it's not easy to define it. Involving Pakistan, going after Afghanistan, sanctions against Iran/N Korea are all part of it. I thought, actually, GW did outline who they were, and took a lot of heat for it. The "Axis of Evil". Might've just been a catch phrase, but he at least gave you specifics for it. And it scared a lot of countries when he said it. One of the few things I respect about his admin.

That being said, I almost parallel 9/11 with Pearl Harbor. How is it different? Attacks on unsuspecting victims, in a war we didn't even know we were in (at least to that capacity, though it could be argued in both situations).

Regardless, I suppose another thread should be started to discuss this topic. This thread is about explaining to the OP why WWII dates should still (or not) be celebrated (which I think they should).

WWII was so much more clear cut because quality guys like Joe Stalin were on the side of "good".

:yes:

If we still had the same level of nationalist pride, manifest destiny, accepted bigotry (Japanese internment, black soldiers), and controlled media coverage today as we did during WWII, I'm sure we would see the war on terrorism as a clear cut battle of good vs. evil.

WWII was so much more clear cut because quality guys like Joe Stalin were on the side of "good".

Ironic isn't it?:) ...but I'll leave the morals of war and wholesale destruction of cities, as well as public perceptions to another thread.:applause:

I think that Poker is right in terms of the War on Terror being ambiguos and open ended and not a "war" in the sense that most of us understand what "war" is. WWII had armies, an enemy, a way to win, and several groups to rescue from attrocity. It changed the nature of the United States from a large country to a superpower and really moved our economy into a different stratosphere... for a couple of decades. It also helped define us around the world as the liberators, the good guys, and the standard that most wanted to live up to.

The end of WWII began a golden age for America that although it had its ebbs and flows probably lasted 20 years and maybe longer.

Archived