Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything I can do about this? (Telemarketer)

Larry

OK, just got a call.

No Caller ID.

It's a recording. "Hello, I'm (some guy's name), and your name came to my attention as a potential investor. If you're interested, please press 1."

I press 1, in the hopes of getting a person. But the recording continues.

It tells me all about how much money I'll make if I invest with him. Keeps going and going. I'm waiting, for it to give me a web page, a phone number, a company name, anything.

Nope. It concludes by telling me that if I'm interested, leave a number where I can be reached. Beep.

This is the second time this week that they've called.

Now, I can't block incoming calls that don't have caller ID. My Dad is in a nursing home, and he's so helpless/lazy that he can't/won't dial a telephone. Instead, when he wants to talk to me, (or anyone else), he dials "0", and then tells the operator to dial the phone. (This costs him, I think, 3 bucks per phone call. OTOH, he's got the money (for a while, still), and the nursing home's costing about 8-9 grand a month, so a $400 monthly phone bill because of him refusing to dial the phone really isn't worth complaining about.)

But, when the operator dials the phone for Dad, then it blocks Caller ID.

I'm on the "Do Not Call" list. But I can't file a complaint unless I have the phone number or company name that's calling me.

I understand that yeah, it's just two phone calls. (So far.) But it really ticks me.

Any ideas?

No idea on the telemarketer, but for $400 a month I'd get him a cell phone with a speed dial.

If he doesn't want to dial a number, what makes you think he's going to want some new fangled contraption he has to plug in every few days, with a little screen on it he probably can't read that vibrates sometimes?

If he doesn't want to dial a number, what makes you think he's going to want some new fangled contraption he has to plug in every few days, with a little screen on it he probably can't read that vibrates sometimes?

Cause you can program the ringtone to be the theme from the 'I love Lucy' or some similar show.

:)

Cause you can program the ringtone to be the theme from the 'I love Lucy' or some similar show.

:)

Hmmm, not a bad idea. Although I programmed my dads ringer to be Mele Kalikimaka from Christmas Vacation two xmas's ago and he can't figure out how to stop it. I think it drove him made for a while.

After the recording delivers it's pitch, it becomes an answering machine, and wants me to leave a message with my phone number.

Maybe you can find some local lawyers phone number and leave that. Try to find a lawyer that specializes in harasement cases. Tell him your super interested and want to be called at least ten times a day.

Also, the part about your dad getting the operator to call for him is pretty hilarious.

BTW, when he tells the operator to phone my brother in Portland, Oregon?

Then it's 3 bucks to dial the phone and 2 bucks a minute for long distance.

-------

And, just for some more chuckles, he doesn't like to use the "nurse call" button. (I think he has trouble finding it.)

Instead, he picks up the phone, dials "0", tells the operator to dial the nursing home, gets the front desk, and tells the front desk to connect him to the nurse's station.

No doubt the staff thinks this is as funny as I do.

Larry, you're going to need at least one piece of identifying information on this jackass company before you can really do anything.

And most likely, it's coming from a dialer program, but I'm betting you've already figured that much out. :)

Larry, you're going to need at least one piece of identifying information on this jackass company before you can really do anything.

And most likely, it's coming from a dialer program, but I'm betting you've already figured that much out. :)

I keep thinking that, in an ideal world, I could call my county DA, file a complaint, and let the DA handle it from there.

(Hell, if I were a DA, I'd love prosecuting telemarketers. Can you think of a better way to guarantee my job security?)

I have Verizon and subscribe to their service that allows me to have all calls from unidentified numbers go to a recording. The recording says for the caller to either (1) says his/her name or (2) enter my preassigned code.

If they say ther name, my phone then rings (with a special ring) and when I answer I am told I have a call from [recording plays], I can then answer or not.

If they enter in the code (which they only do if I gave it to them), it rings straight through to me (with a special ringtone).

Automated calls never do either, and it never rings through to me as a result.

Not perfect, but better than nothing. Costs $5 a month or so.

I have Verizon and subscribe to their service that allows me to have all calls from unidentified numbers go to a recording. The recording says for the caller to either (1) says his/her name or (2) enter my preassigned code.

Yeah. We use that. One of my dumbass relatives would insist on saying the code instead of their name.

Why no caller ID? Practically every cheap phone in Wal Mart has it. 20 bucks and at least you'll know when not to answer.

I get recorded marketers too. It seems to be a loophole. I see an "unknown number" and I just pick it up and hang it up. 2 clicks and done.

~Bang

Why no caller ID? Practically every cheap phone in Wal Mart has it. 20 bucks and at least you'll know when not to answer.

I get recorded marketers too. It seems to be a loophole. I see an "unknown number" and I just pick it up and hang it up. 2 clicks and done.

~Bang

Did you read my post?

Archived