Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Packers may allow corporate patches on practice jerseys (M.E.T.)

MARK PHILLIPS

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/06/03/practice.jerseys.ap/index.html?eref=si_nfl&loc=interstitialskip

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- The Green Bay Packers are hoping to take advantage of a new NFL rule allowing teams to attach a small patch with a corporate logo to the jerseys players wear in practice.

Packers senior vice president of marketing and sales Laura Sankey called the possibility of selling advertising space on practice jerseys a "very meaningful" way for a sponsor to link itself with the team.

"It's always exciting when the league opens new categories for sponsorship, particularly one that is so closely linked to our players and our jerseys," Sankey said. "A practice jersey patch is a very unique and visible way for a sponsor to be involved with training camp, the team and our fans."

The Houston Texans also have indicated an interest in taking advantage of the rule, which applies only to jerseys worn in practice.

Sponsor logos already are widespread during U.S. auto racing and golf events, and the Phoenix Mercury announced this week that they will become the first WNBA team to put a sponsor's name, Lifelock, on their jerseys.

Such deals are considered commonplace in Europe, where soccer giant Manchester United announced Wednesday that it had reached a four-year sponsorship agreement with Chicago-based insurance broker Aon Corp.

The club did not announce financial terms but British newspapers reported that the deal, which begins in the 2010-11 season, was worth 80 million pounds ($131.2 million) over the four years.

I'm guessing Snyder already has some Johnny Rockets and Six Flags patches getting made right now.

I dont think it would be so bad on the practice jerseys, just dont mess with the regular season jerseys. Oh well, kinda cheesy regardless in my opinion.

I'd say its more important to the Packers since they don't have a sponsor for their Stadium. Teams like us, Pats, Colts, Steelers, etc. get money from that, whereas the Packers don't. I don't know how big of a deal patches of practice jerseys will be since most of the public won't see them.

I think you can get in a huff about this, or you can just accept the inevitable. It's going to happen one day on game jerseys, just like Stadium naming right, just like the Toyota Halftime Report, and just like in soccer. It's not going to be the same, and people will wax poetic about the good old days, but if it makes money, it will be done.

Grow up playing soccer and this won't be nearly as shocking to you. Corporate logos won't ever dominate an NFL jersey like they do on soccer unis. The front numbers, the shoulder pad numbers and lack of sleeves only leave room for patches at most, which probably wouldn't be very prominent on the uniform.

The players will look like NASCAR

I don't like the Idea, I hope Snyder doesn't pimp out the redskins and make a mockery of the Name. There has to be a line, it will get to a point where Snyder changes the name for money. The Coca Cola Redskins or Corona Skins

Whats the point of advertising during practice?

There are cameras all week at practice. Highlights of practice on ESPN, just a way to get the ball rolling for advertisers. What's the point of 3" logo on a car going 200 mph? Some people will see it, just like people will see it in practice. If the car wins, if the team is in the news, the logo will get seen.

I rue the day, man. Seriously, we are a billion dollar franchise. This should not even be a topic for discussion involving us. Let the other teams needing money try what they have to do to make ends meet. We are obviously not struggling to make money. I would be insulted by some crap like that on even our practice jerseys. The damn Dumbotron is bad enough.

I don't like this, but I don't think it will alter the jerseys significantly. The numbers on the jerseys need to remain for identification purposes. The most that could happen would be patches on the jerseys. Now, the pants on the other hand...

Archived