Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A hunch about Kareem Moore @ SS

darrelgreenie

I have a hunch/hope that we'll see alot of Kareem Moore @ SS during training camp and pre-season and that he might win the job.

Doughty enters his fourth NFL season upbeat about the competition for playing time with Chris Horton and Kareem Moore, both second-year safeties. The only certainty is that LaRon Landry, a 2007 first-round draft pick, is guaranteed a starting job.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Doughty_Ready_to_Compete_For_Safety_Job_36992.jsp

Horton may be at the top of the depth chart at strong safety, but he expects strong competition from Reed Doughty and fellow second-year player Kareem Moore this offseason.

“I even compete with LaRon [Landry] and I don’t even play his position, but you just never know how things are going to go,” he said. “I just look at it as I have to show up every day and put forth my best effort.”

And i think its a great idea.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Horton_Stays__Level_Headed__Despite_Success_36309.jsp

Greg Blache has raved about Kareem Moore since he was drafted and tried to get him on the field more towards the end of last year.

Blache praised the performance of rookie safety Kareem Moore Sunday. He covered some ground at free safety and delivered a few big hits, including one on Chad Johnson. He expects to play him more down the stretch to get valuable experience and is hopeful that the fifth-round pick, now over his knee problems, can be a bigger part of next season.

http://cc.msnscache.com/cache.aspx?q=kareem+moore+greg+blache&d=76095070412894&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=40c8269c,1259e2cd

From Zorn after the Jets pre-season game:

Rookie safety Kareem Moore continues to earn high marks and could play a substantial role Saturday. He appears to be recovered from the knee problems that hindered him early in camp -- Moore is coming off surgery -- and is practicing well. Zorn praised his body control and the efficiency of his movement, calling him a "tremendous athlete."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/07/AR2008080703463.html

I know Kareem Moore is a FS, but if you remember Landry's rookie year he played SS b/c ST21 had the FS spot locked up.

I know some people on this board think that LL should play SS because he could make an impact around the line of scrimmage.

But, as Steve Jackson explained in his interview with Matt Terl, LL is better for the Redskins defense at FS.

http://blog.redskins.com/2009/05/26/tuesday-may-26-steve-jackson-talks-safeties/#continued

Imo playing Kareem at SS would give the same types of benefits as playing LL at SS, range and ball skills.

Jasckson on Kareem Moore:

Jackson: "He has the same attributes as LaRon. They're guys who can go sideline to sideline, and he's probably got the best ball skills of everybody in the defensive backfield besides DeAngelo [Hall].

....Jackson: "Aw, yeah. You throw a ball, he'll just pluck it out of the air. And the thing about him is, he was hurt when we got him. He didn't have any OTAs, didn't even practice til the middle of training camp. So I think people'll be surprised with what they see out of Kareem this year now that he's had a full offseason AND got some experience in games last year. He looks a million times better than he did last year -- we've got a pretty good group."

I don't think Kareem at SS is a knock on Reed Doughty or Chris Horton.

I like how both of those guys play.

But, the one area of weakness in both Doughty and Horton's game is pass coverage.

Kareem can bring FS coverage skills to the SS position which would give the defense greater versatility.

Kareem would give Landry more chances to blitz, because he can play centerfield safety.

With Kareem's range maybe coaches Gray/Jackson could come up with more coverage schemes like one Horton used to intercept Romo sits to pee?

610x.jpg

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=17221&draftyear=2008&genpos=FS

Nicholls State (March 19)

This player worked out at Mississippi's Pro Day…

» S Kareem Moore (5-10 ¼,, 213): Ran the 40 in 4.52 and 4.55, had a 35-inch vertical jump, 9-foot, 8-inch long jump, 4.29 short shuttle, 7.41 cone drill, 15 reps in the bench press, and ran position drills.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80775639&template=with-video&confirm=true

“I didn’t know Kareem was as fast as he was,” Horton said. “He can really run and he can really put a good pop on you, too.”

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Moore_Making_the_Transition_31424.jsp

Thoughts?

II don't think Kareem at SS is a knock on Reed Doughty or Chris Horton.

I like how both of those guys play.

But, the one area of weakness in both Doughty and Horton's game is pass coverage.

Kareem can bring FS coverage skills to the SS position which would give the defense greater versatility.

Kareem would give Landry more chances to blitz, because he can play centerfield safety.

With Kareem's range maybe coaches Gray/Jackson could come up with more coverage schemes like one Horton used to intercept Romo sits to pee?

Well, if there is indeed a weakness in Horton and Doughty's game as far as pass coverage goes like you say there is, I'm sure that coach Jackson realizes it and will address it appropriately.

I personally think that Horton is a straight monster and we haven't even seen the best that he has to offer yet.

I think that Moore is more suited to play the ballhawking position and security blanket so that is why we use him at FS rather than SS

But I think he will see the field a lot at free safety because we will us a variety of packages and hopefully move Landry back and forth to keep offenses on their toes.

I can see Landry at FS with Horton at SS in run situations. In passing situations, Landry can play SS with Moore at FS. Also don't forget about our Cobra package

Moore, Horton, and Doughty will all see the field plenty and hopefully, Landry can be the wildcard. If he's always over top, offenses will just avoid him.

Hopefully we can move him all over the place like Polomalu. Sometimes deep third, some buzz, some hook and curl, some flats and some blitzing.

The key to being able to do all of this are the other moves we have made for thew defense. Blache, Jerry Gray and Steve Jackson can get more creative in the secondary now that we have two DTs to push the pocket, two edge rushers in Orakpo and Carter, and two CBs that can sit on an island.

I think this is so much better than where we were in the secondary last year. Last year, we had NO depth on paper behind Doughty, with just 2 rookies and no vets. This year we have 3 guys we can rely on at safety to come in and do the job. With both Horton and Moore being from the same draft class, I expect to see the two of them push eachother for years, which can only make both of them better.

With Hall added to the CB core, and with Tryon in his second year along with the newly drafted Barnes, our DB depth has definitely seen a huge improvement(despite losing Springs).

People can dump on this FO all they want but you have to stop and reflect on what they have done with our picks. Horton and Moore from last year. Taking Landry over Jaamal Anderson who is a huge bust. Carlos Rogers over Antrel Rolle and Pac-man. Trading up for Cooley out of nowhere. Trading up for Rocky. Sean Taylor over Kellen Winslow. HB Blades in the 6th.

I think that Moore is more suited to play the ballhawking position and security blanket so that is why we use him at FS rather than SS

I agree, but if he stays at FS he only gets on the field in 3 safety packages.

What good are his skills if spends most of his time on the bench backing up Landry?

In passing situations, Landry can play SS with Moore at FS
If he's always over top, offenses will just avoid him.

Now here is where you loose me, Landry is a budding star in the NFL in 2007 he was a pro-bowl alternate at FS.

Our defense is predicated on his unique 4.3 range as centerfield safety which deters offense from throwing over the top.

You wouldn't move Ed Reed to SS on passing downs would you?

Hopefully we can move him all over the place like Polomalu. Sometimes deep third, some buzz, some hook and curl, some flats and some blitzing.

Polomalu is a SS with great range and with Ryan Clark playing FS it gives him great freedom within LeBeau's Cover 3 zone blitz scheme.

Imo it would be a waste to have Landry playing short zone coverage on passing downs.

And if Landry is gonna blitz you need SS that can cover the centerfield.

Imo having LL at FS and Moore at SS is like having 2 FS on the field all the time without having to sub in a 'package.'

having moore in there would shore up our cover 2 looks a lot. horton is awful in coverage even though the people on this board think he is great. stick him near the line of scrimmage and he will get his name called a lot but playing in the back end is not his forte. moore should see the field a LOT this year now that he is fully healthy

I think this is so much better than where we were in the secondary last year. Last year, we had NO depth on paper behind Doughty, with just 2 rookies and no vets. This year we have 3 guys we can rely on at safety to come in and do the job. With both Horton and Moore being from the same draft class, I expect to see the two of them push eachother for years, which can only make both of them better.

With Hall added to the CB core, and with Tryon in his second year along with the newly drafted Barnes, our DB depth has definitely seen a huge improvement(despite losing Springs).

Tryon and Barnes have not proved anything so I would leave them out of any discussion as to they make our secondary better.

I loved Moore from the get-go, but SS is not a good fit. As a cover 3rd safety he can become quite the player.

Now if we have packages where we have Landry play SS, Moore is definitely the guy that should play FS.

Moore is the most physically talented safety on the team after Landry and the most versatile. I would not be surprised to ultimately see Landry switch positions and for Moore to slide in the FS role.

Horton is a gamer and a lot like Alvin Walton a 100% player. The team won't replace him in the lineup until/unless Moore clearly beats him out and/or the shuffle for Landry is decided by Blache to be necessary.

Chris may end up being that #3 safety long-term.

Before that happens, though, Moore needs to show that he is 100% healthy and capable of playing 16 games.

That is something that a number of players from the 2008 draft class had a hard time doing last year.

I have a hunch/hope that we'll see alot of Kareem Moore @ SS during training camp and pre-season and that he might win the job.

I've had the same hunch for the same reasons.

Oh, and your OP was a first-rate presentation.

Archived