Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Malibu vs. Accord vs. Altima

mnb123

Like the Redskins Affliction shirt?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Like the Redskins Affliction shirt?

ever think that your statement is just plain hateful and not even true?

no because it's not hateful. Go find me some evidence that any GM vehicle is more valuable than a Japanese counterpart. You just cant do it, even though you might pay thousands less at purchase, you will end up paying more in the long run for repairs or when it comes time to sell and you consider the depreciation for Gm vehicles is at a much higher rate than Japanese cars.

This is not to say Gm cars are crap, but they are not as good as Honda, Toyota, Nissan or Mazda when it comes to built quality, and lifespan. For fuel milage, GM and the others are catching up, but the Japanese have been building efficient engines well before Lee Iacocca introduced us to the K car.

2 years of OnStar, 2 years of XM Radio and 2 years of scheduled maintence.

BTW 6K off the MSRP and zero precent is pretty good. If that is a 2009 model, I myself wouldnt even be able to get that price.

People have lived for years without OnStar, XM is about to go bankrupt, and the scheduled maintenance is really what? Something manufacturers recommend to pad their dealers' pockets?

MSRP is a joke. Invoice price is the dollar figure where negotiations need to start.

Maybe you'll throw in floor mats.

This is not to say Gm cars are crap, but they are not as good as Honda, Toyota, Nissan or Mazda when it comes to built quality, and lifespan. For fuel milage, GM and the others are catching up, but the Japanese have been building efficient engines well before Lee Iacocca introduced us to the K car.

Why don't you take a look and see who leads in JD powers 2009 overall dependability study. Here's a hint, it's not Toytoa or Honda.

People have lived for years without OnStar, XM is about to go bankrupt, and the scheduled maintenance is really what? Something manufacturers recommend to pad their dealers' pockets?

MSRP is a joke. Invoice price is the dollar figure where negotiations need to start.

Maybe you'll throw in floor mats.

good points, I don't know anyone who has a GM vehicle that pays for Onstar. they might use it when it's free, but no one I know thinks it is worth what GM charges ($19/month or something?) These are all just gimicks to distract you from the fact that you are buying an inferior car.

Nissan has stopped using these stupid tranny's from Ford (some sort of agreement to get the UAW off their back since the plant in Tenn is non union), and now has CVT for it's automatics, and still uses the quality manual tranmissions they have been using for years. Some people complain about the "weird" sound coming from a CVT, but I am sure that if you are considering buying it, then it is not an issue for you, or maybe your getting a manual.

CVT was a little weird, especially when you floor it and it just stays redlined, but I could get used to it.

Its called the Total Confidence Package. Its only on the Malibu and Traverse with Chevy, and the GMC Aacadia and Pontiac G6 (same cars pretty much).

2 years of OnStar, 2 years of XM Radio and 2 years of scheduled maintence.

BTW 6K off the MSRP and zero precent is pretty good. If that is a 2009 model, I myself wouldnt even be able to get that price.

yeah, its a brand new 2009 3.5 2LT for $21.5k and 0% financing.

good points, I don't know anyone who has a GM vehicle that pays for Onstar. they might use it when it's free, but no one I know thinks it is worth what GM charges ($19/month or something?) These are all just gimicks to distract you from the fact that you are buying an inferior car.

Yeah, I don't care about onstar or XM. But it definitely doesn't hurt when im still getting a better price and better warantee along with it.

dude get the Accord... got pretty good amount of room inside and I own one from '03...

I just passed 100k mile mark last weekend... no problems at all... i am no car guru and all I have done to the car was just get oil change on time most of the time...

Why don't you take a look and see who leads in JD powers 2009 overall dependability study. Here's a hint, it's not Toytoa or Honda.

wow, one year out of how many years that JD Power has been assembling the list? and it's Buick. the car maker that has what, three models that all share the same platform or another GM car's platform? I would hope they would be able to work out all the bugs on cars built that way.

wow, one year out of how many years that JD Power has been assembling the list? and it's Buick. the car maker that has what, three models that all share the same platform or another GM car's platform? I would hope they would be able to work out all the bugs on cars built that way.

and the leader in midsize is the chevy malibu...you know...one of the cars that the OP WAS INTERESTED IN.

Look at where your precious Nissan ranks.

Look at Mazda. Mazda's dependibilty was higher when it was owned by ford.

Look at Scion. Owned by Toyota

Look at Mitsubishi.

We get it. You think GM/american auto=crap. you are entitled to your opinion. That doesn't mean your opinion is right.

I agree with the others, don't get the Malibu just because it has OnStar and XM for 2 years. What do you really need OnStar for if you have a cell phone and GPS? My dad got OnStar for free for a few months when he bough his Cadillac and I think he's used it once or twice. Satellite radio is nice, but its not the end all be all. After the 2 years I think its like $14-15/month for it so thats not really worth it. You can go buy an iPod and listen to music for that price.

The things I would be worried about the most are safety, gas mileage, and reliabilty. The things you mentioned about OnStar, XM, and scheduled maintainence are only for 2 years, then what happens? I wouldn't let those effect my decision too much.

and the leader in midsize is the chevy malibu...you know...one of the cars that the OP WAS INTERESTED IN.

Look at where your precious Nissan ranks.

Look at Mazda. Mazda's dependibilty was higher when it was owned by ford.

Look at Scion. Owned by Toyota

Look at Mitsubishi.

We get it. You think GM/american auto=crap. you are entitled to your opinion. That doesn't mean your opinion is right.

If the OP WANTED TO BUY A 2006 MALIBU THEN YOUR LIST MIGHT HOLD SOME WATER. But he wants a new one, and your precious ranking system will not have numbers out for the 2009 models until 2012. Keep that year in mind and show me where the 2009 Malibu stacks up when it comes out, I'd be interested to see. And in case you haven't noticed, GM has completely redesigned the Malibu since 2006, so the JD Power ratings mean even less for this situation.

And your JD Power's dependability study only study cars after 3 years of use. If you buy a new car every 3 years, then the study is a great tool in helping you search for your new car, but if your like most people who will probably have to hold onto a car for more than 3 years, I would prefer a car that would hold some of it's value after 3 years, and have a history of reliability beyond the 3 year mark.

You might say my opinion might not be right, but then how do you explain GM and the other's drop in market share over the past 20 years? those other car companies must be doing something right to "steal" and keep all of those former American car buyers.

If the OP WANTED TO BUY A 2006 MALIBU THEN YOUR LIST MIGHT HOLD SOME WATER. But he wants a new one, and your precious ranking system will not have numbers out for the 2009 models until 2012. Keep that year in mind and show me where the 2009 Malibu stacks up when it comes out, I'd be interested to see. And in case you haven't noticed, GM has completely redesigned the Malibu since 2006, so the JD Power ratings mean even less for this situation.

If you haven't noticed the accolades for the 2009 chevy malibu, you must have your head in the sand.

You might say my opinion might not be right, but then how do you explain GM and the other's drop in market share over the past 20 years? those other car companies must be doing something right to "steal" and keep all of those former American car buyers.

GM DID dip in quality. They (and Ford) have both worked themselves out of their quality issues for the most part. They need to work towards regaining marketshare. They are doing exactly what Hyundai did. Offer great warranties to entice customers back.

However, when people like you spout misinformation, unfortunately, some people listen.

Take a look at GMs worldwide picture, and they are very much a big player.

And while you say Buick should have great quality rankings because they have such a limited number of vehicles, how do you explain Scion?

I agree with the others, don't get the Malibu just because it has OnStar and XM for 2 years. What do you really need OnStar for if you have a cell phone and GPS? My dad got OnStar for free for a few months when he bough his Cadillac and I think he's used it once or twice. Satellite radio is nice, but its not the end all be all. After the 2 years I think its like $14-15/month for it so thats not really worth it. You can go buy an iPod and listen to music for that price.

The things I would be worried about the most are safety, gas mileage, and reliabilty. The things you mentioned about OnStar, XM, and scheduled maintainence are only for 2 years, then what happens? I wouldn't let those effect my decision too much.

Satellite radio is very much a necessity. lol

dude get the Accord... got pretty good amount of room inside and I own one from '03...

I just passed 100k mile mark last weekend... no problems at all... i am no car guru and all I have done to the car was just get oil change on time most of the time...

sjinhan, I have an 03 Accord too that is at 113K right now. Anyway, when I bought it my uncle who is a Honda salesman out in California told me that Accords are good for 5,000 miles between oil changes (just make sure your oil levels are good). I stuck to that when my car was sub 100K and it still runs well. Now I go every 4,000 miles just to be safe.

sjinhan, I have an 03 Accord too that is at 113K right now. Anyway, when I bought it my uncle who is a Honda salesman out in California told me that Accords are good for 5,000 miles between oil changes (just make sure your oil levels are good). I stuck to that when my car was sub 100K and it still runs well. Now I go every 4,000 miles just to be safe.

Pretty much all cars are now good for oil changes at 5k or more intervals. I've never gone by the 3kmiles rule.

As Henry Ford himself said "...you can't build a reputation on what you are GOING to do."

I don't need to shill for honda or toyota too much their reputation speaks for itself. Me and my family and some friends have had good to great experiences with Hondas and Toyotas for over 20 years.

If you haven't noticed the accolades for the 2009 chevy malibu, you must have your head in the sand.

I do hear good things about the new Malibu, mostly from GM ads. And I bet if I asked GM, they would also tell me it is a great time to buy their stock.

But seriouslly, GM is improving quality, but I will wait to see how these new models do before I go back to buying a GM vehicle. Based on people I know who have bought Chevy's in the past 4 years and the experience they have had with them, I can't trust them yet.

"People have lived for years without OnStar"

Onstar is great. Its free for one year on every Chevrolet, but you get 2 years and the Direction package on the Malibu at no charge. Whats your point here?

"XM is about to go bankrupt."

And?

"and the scheduled maintenance is really what? Something manufacturers recommend to pad their dealers' pockets?"

Yes. Padding their pockets with Oil Changes that can be up to 12K and tire rotations. Thats where the real money is at.

"MSRP is a joke. Invoice price is the dollar figure where negotiations need to start."

You sound like you have bought alot of cars or sold just as many. Your input is awesome man. Keep helping the poster with your knowledge, im sure it will help him out when he is ready to buy.

"Maybe you'll throw in floor mats."

Nah. Floor mats are standard. What I will "throw in" for Redskin fans, Redskin players, friends, and family is the best possible price on a car. The best interest rate they could possibly get and anything free I can get my hands on.

Then when they my help for anything down the road, I give it to them.

I have sold multiple people on Extremeskins vehicles and im sure they were 100% completely satisfied with how I took care of them.

But thanks for the sarcastic "throw in the mats" joke. I have never heard that one. I cant wait to use it with my car buddies here at work.

And for those doubting the Malibu, you would have none after you drove it. This car is all of it.

I put 260,000 miles on my '95 Altima. A few clutch replacements, break jobs and CV joint replacements were all it ever needed. Even after the wife did 15k in damage when it was a year old. I also wrote service for Nissan and all GM models, though it's been 8 years. At that time there was absolutely no comparing quality of GM to Nissan. They were in different leagues. I'm certain GM has closed the gap, though. I currently own a 2007 Nissan Titan with 52000 miles on it. Other than a small exhaust leak the first month, it has been flawless. Gonna put the first set of break pads on the fronts this weekend. You won't likely go wrong with Nissan.

I put 260,000 miles on my '95 Altima. A few clutch replacements, break jobs and CV joint replacements were all it ever needed. Even after the wife did 15k in damage when it was a year old. I also wrote service for Nissan and all GM models, though it's been 8 years. At that time there was absolutely no comparing quality of GM to Nissan. They were in different leagues. I'm certain GM has closed the gap, though. I currently own a 2007 Nissan Titan with 52000 miles on it. Other than a small exhaust leak the first month, it has been flawless. Gonna put the first set of break pads on the fronts this weekend. You won't likely go wrong with Nissan.

I had a 95 altima as well. I put 168K miles on it and at 198K it threw a rod up through the engine, right through one of the spark plug holes, and put a huge "nipple" in the top of my hood. Immediately the car started to slow down and make a funny noise like a helicopter under water. That car died in the parking lot of Elon College. great car though, I put it through hell and was able to fit 6 kegs of beer in it one time. 2 in the trunk, three in the back seat and one riding shotgun. That cars name was Smitty.

I bought a 2002 Nissan Xterra Supercharged new off the lot and today it has 59K miles on it. It hasnt needed much other then routine maint and brakes. I love this SUV. Its stick shift, and I dont see too many stick shift SUV's around anymore, let alone with a supercharger on it. Infact, thats the only belt that needs to be changed, though its 75 bucks to have it changed...

Archived